PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas

Azreal
2013-09-24, 05:59 PM
Anyone know a good way to make a one-shot involving spirits, possession, and other mischief. The players are all level 10.

I'd like a start where it should be a simple exorcism, and it blows up from there.

Ideas I've had that need some backing/numbers/details
-the whole town has been cursed by a Necromancer who was killed recently
-the town is near a rip between worlds
-a necropolis has formed near the town
-noble type people in town possessed and are actively working to release more spirits into the town.

Stuff along those lines.

Winds
2013-09-24, 07:23 PM
Variations on what you've got could easily be expanded into a whole campaign pretty easily...

First thing that comes to mind is to combine the necromancer's curse and necropolis ideas.

Idea one: The curse is detectable to the unnatural senses of undead of necromancers-meaning that the town is now a very popular target. Depending on the playstyle, this gives the party several roles to choose from. They might step in as frontline combatants, fighting off the undead. They might be responsible for tracking down the curse's influence, and ending it. Or they may be raiding a necromancer's hideout before he sends a force of undead to hit the town.

Idea two: The curse in question is raising villagers from the nearby graveyards-as themselves, but they don't remember dying. Needless to say, this is causing some problems. The party will need to stop the curse if they can, and deal with 'killing' or exorcising the cursed undead. Depends more on particular playstyles, namely a group that can handle talking these people down, as well as being able to track the source of the curse.

Azreal
2013-09-24, 07:35 PM
Idea two: The curse in question is raising villagers from the nearby graveyards-as themselves, but they don't remember dying. Needless to say, this is causing some problems. The party will need to stop the curse if they can, and deal with 'killing' or exorcising the cursed undead. Depends more on particular playstyles, namely a group that can handle talking these people down, as well as being able to track the source of the curse.

So sentient undead wo don't know they are undead? That's quite the moral dilemma there for my players. :smallamused:

Kid Jake
2013-09-25, 01:41 AM
I can't help but picture something like The Thing or Fallen. The necromancer himself could be floating around taking direct control of the living, making everyone a potential enemy. The PCs corner his latest host; the body keels over, rotting unnaturally fast, and suddenly anyone, including one of them (if they're up for it), could be under his direct control.