View Full Version : Building a warrior but looking for a fitting prestige class

OldTrees1
2013-09-24, 06:21 PM
I am creating a Dragonborn (Wings) Large WoodElf Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Swordsage 1 / ?2 / Warblade 1 / ?X

It has high! Str, Dex and Con but low Int, Wis and Cha.
It is focused on: Improved Trip, Knockback(BullRush) and Combat Reflexes

My question is: What can I take for the blank levels? I would like a prestige class but I am at a loss for a good prestige class. Either vertical(better at options) or horizontal(more options) improvement are welcome.

[Just looking for classes]

Urpriest
2013-09-24, 06:23 PM
Wood Elf makes me think one of the Elf-focused PrCs would be cool, like Revenant Blade or Eternal Blade.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-24, 06:25 PM
Seconding Revenant Blade, it is incredibly good.

Icewraith
2013-09-24, 06:30 PM
An initiator prestige class can really help out those swordsage/warblade levels. Are you doing the whole leap attack/shocktrooper thing as well? Also, are you using dungeoncrasher fighter? That's very relevant to bull rushing (I believe you'll want to take it to 6th level though).

Urpriest
2013-09-24, 06:31 PM
Come to think of it, with an AOO focus you might also be able to get some mileage out of War Hulk. Sort of forces you to be a one-trick pony though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-24, 06:43 PM
War Hulk from the Miniatures Handbook if you have no interest in any skills that use Int, Wis, or Cha other than Intimidate.

You could throw a Crusader dip in there for Idiot Crusader shenanigans, then pick up Master of Nine to add more maneuvers to Crusader such as the Diamond Mind save maneuvers and especially White Raven Tactics. You would need to make your first three levels Swordsage 1/ Warblade 1/ Crusader 1 and pick all four 1st level Stone Dragon and White Raven maneuvers via Swordsage and Warblade so at Crusader 1 you'll only know two maneuvers. Taking Swordsage at 1st level is good for skill points anyway, especially considering they printed it granting x6 skill points at 1st level instead of the normal x4. A great trick to add onto this is to max out Perform: Weapon Drill (CW) and get an item that gives you a continuous effect of the spell Undersong (SC), which allows you to make a Perform check in place of a Concentration check. With the Diamond Mind save maneuvers via Crusader, you can make a Perform: Weapon Drill check instead of a saving throw.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-24, 06:49 PM
To expand a little into what Biff said, Perform Weapon drill gets a circumstance bonus equal to half your BAB (round down), so it will usually be a lot higher than a normal save and even a skill check (Which are fairly easy to pump up)

OldTrees1
2013-09-24, 08:51 PM
Revenant Blade seems to be for dual wielding. Strangely enough I am going to be using a single one handed weapon in two hands.

Eternal Blade advances maneuvers. This is nice I guess, however strikes are not that useful for me so I would be looking at boosts. (Need to look into that) It does require 10BAB so I would need to do something else in the meantime.

War Hulk increases STR which helps a lot of my tactics. Urpriest mentioned it would be useful for the AoO aspect. I do not understand how. The class features seem to be a strange Whirlwind attack. Does the capstone allow each attack in a full attack/AoO to be a whirlwind? Honestly this looks good. I am ok with the mental skill penalty since I plan to be in rage(STR/DEX) during combat.

Idiot Crusader (Master of Nine) would be useful but I would need to limit it to Counters or Boosts.

No I am not doing Leap Attack/Shocktrooper. Although I do have access to the Dragonborn charging dive. I am trying to avoid the ubercharger while still being useful.
Yes I am using Dungeoncrasher (although the 6th level is lackluster so I will skip it)

Any other classes to consider?