PDA

View Full Version : Question/ideas for 3.5 reincarnated emperor vs a lich emperor

KungFuX
2013-09-24, 08:03 PM
So my one of my players in our high powered dnd game rolled a perfect set of 18s. In creating the backstory of his character he wants to play an emperor that is reincarnated every so many yeas and this is the latest incarnaction. The backstory includes a possibly false emperor that is a lich, and has successfully destroyed the emperor incarnation 4 times previously. So the question, since the lich has its soul forever preserved in a phylactery, is there any way to make it an actual previous emperor while still having the soul of the emperor be reborn (or even parts of the soul) into a new body? and the kicker, are there any feats, rules, spells that would help support this interesting storyline?
Currently my idea is to have the soul of the emperor be divided into 12 souls, and only once every 13 births do all the souls come together, this soul being the 12th, and the lich being the first, so either one could potentially gain the other 11 or disperse them to be free, but tying the hands of both protagonist and antagonist to trying not to outright destroy the other. Only feat I can find that might help is scion of legend (changing it to soul of legend).

All input/help is appreciated.

Runestar
2013-09-25, 07:42 AM
You could let the lich be a previous clone or simulacrum of the emperor that somehow went rogue. I am not sure how lich interacts here rules-wise though, or if he can even be a lich.

So for all intents and purposes, this clone is a mirror-copy of the emperor, but considered its own person.

Vaz
2013-09-25, 08:28 AM
Unfortunately, there's no way I know of that can grant a creature a soul in D&D. I don't even think the deities can grant it by RAW. Neither is there a way to split the soul a la Harry Potter.

Perhaps an Epic level spell can, however, if you're willing to go that far ahead.

angry_bear
2013-09-25, 08:35 AM
DM casts fiat, done.

It's a non game breaking thing you want to do for the sake of story, don't worry about it.

Deca4531
2013-09-25, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately, there's no way I know of that can grant a creature a soul in D&D. I don't even think the deities can grant it by RAW. Neither is there a way to split the soul a la Harry Potter.

Perhaps an Epic level spell can, however, if you're willing to go that far ahead.

I seem to remember a section in the DMG about making custom spells, so I don't see why, if this emperor was powerful enough to achieve a form of litchdom, that he couldn't have created a custom spell of his own.

this also reminds me a lot of "The last Airbender" show.