PDA

View Full Version : Effigy handbook and rules?

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-09-24, 08:11 PM
I'd like to make an Artificer that focuses on creating and buffing his mechanical companion (an effigy of some variety) and I was hoping for help in choosing the best base creatures.

My first thought is to go for some form of dire cat for pounce, rake, and the nice, high STR and DEX. However, if there are any creatures with STR- or DEX-based abilities (like the Howler in the example) that would be good, too. Is there some form of handbook or guide that covers this?

Are there general rules for upgrading a construct's HD? I would like to keep one companion that I upgrade over time.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-25, 12:56 AM
Hydra. The more heads the better.

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-09-25, 05:19 PM
Well, that's a start.

I was thinking that the various Druid handbooks would be good for ideas.

So am I to assume there is no effigy handbook?

Tvtyrant
2013-09-25, 05:35 PM
I don't believe there is, no. Basically my understanding is you want the largest creature with the most natural attacks with as little HD as possible.

For instance the IBRANDLIN from Monsters of Faerun is gargantuan and only has 10 HD, so it would cost 45,000 GP and have 115 HP. It gets 5 natural attacks a turn for roughly 90 damage a turn and is pretty good at grappling (+33.)

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-25, 07:19 PM
Octopi are good too. A winged Effigy Octopai would work well.

And someplace I thought I saw a handbook on constructs.

Brackenlord
2013-09-25, 08:15 PM
Octopi are good too. A winged Effigy Octopai would work well.

And someplace I thought I saw a handbook on constructs.

You mean this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8962.0) one?:smallwink: