PDA

View Full Version : How to turn off built-in laptop keyboard?

Fiery Diamond
2013-09-24, 08:52 PM
I have a Dell running windows 8. I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the built-in keyboard, but I can't find anything. The only thing I can find when I go to mess with the laptop keyboard settings that would disable the keyboard is uninstalling the driver, which I obviously don't want. Help?

Togath
2013-09-24, 11:38 PM
Why do you need to uninstall it?
From my understanding(and by that I mean I'm using a windows 8 dell laptop to post this) you can just plug in a USB keyboard even if the original keyboard is running

Brother Oni
2013-09-25, 01:40 AM
In Device Manager, there should be an option to disable a device. I believe keyboards usually fall under Human Interface Device or something similiar, it's just a matter of working out which HID is the laptop keyboard.

I'm with Togath though - why would you want to disable the built-in keyboard? Do you want to rest a standard USB one on top of your laptop or something?

GolemsVoice
2013-09-25, 03:11 AM
I know for me there is an option to disable the touchpad when you go into BIOS. Might work for the keyboard, too, although I'm not sure.

KuReshtin
2013-09-25, 03:27 AM
I know for me there is an option to disable the touchpad when you go into BIOS. Might work for the keyboard, too, although I'm not sure.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's an option to disable to keyboard itself, as it would require additional hardware (external keyboard) to enable it again.

Disabling the touchpad is not as much of a problem, since you can still use the keyboard to go into BIOS and re-enable to touchpad, but if you disable the keyboard and then take away the external keyboard, you'll render the laptop pretty much useless until you connect another external keyboard again as you can't go into BIOS to re-enable the keyboard since your keyboard is disabled in the BIOS and therefore can't be used to enter the BIOS to re-enable it.

GolemsVoice
2013-09-25, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I figured that out after I posted. I'd say disabling via Device Manager is the way to go, if there is one.

Togath
2013-09-25, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't think there's an option to disable to keyboard itself, as it would require additional hardware (external keyboard) to enable it again.

Disabling the touchpad is not as much of a problem, since you can still use the keyboard to go into BIOS and re-enable to touchpad, but if you disable the keyboard and then take away the external keyboard, you'll render the laptop pretty much useless until you connect another external keyboard again as you can't go into BIOS to re-enable the keyboard since your keyboard is disabled in the BIOS and therefore can't be used to enter the BIOS to re-enable it.

This is part of the reason I found the OP's request a bit odd.
The touchpad I can see reasons for disabling potentially, but a keyboard interface is generally vital for a system.

Fiery Diamond
2013-09-25, 06:12 PM
In Device Manager, there should be an option to disable a device. I believe keyboards usually fall under Human Interface Device or something similiar, it's just a matter of working out which HID is the laptop keyboard.

I'm with Togath though - why would you want to disable the built-in keyboard? Do you want to rest a standard USB one on top of your laptop or something?

Yes, that's precisely why I want to disable the built-in keyboard. The built-in keyboard is extremely uncomfortable for multiple reasons, leading to wrist pain, for one, and I want to rest the USB one on top, with the prongs extended to tilt it. However, when I rest it there (with or without the prongs extended) I inevitably end up pressing keys on the built-in keyboard.

The Device Manager has the "disable" button greyed out and unselectable. Are you all saying that it is impossible, then? There ought to be SOME way of keeping the computer from registering key presses on the built-in keyboard.

bluewind95
2013-09-25, 07:05 PM
Cover it with something hard. Then plug in an different keyoard.

Tavar
2013-09-26, 01:46 AM
While there can be times you do want to turn off a built in keyboard(for instance, at one point my laptop keyboard had 1 or 2 keys that were essentially permanently pressed, which did some bad things to the software), I'm pretty sure that there's no easy way to turn it off(because doing so would make it really easy to turn the thing into a multi-hundred dollar paperweight).

The Bios is probably your best bet. I'm not sure the exact method to trigger it, but when you turn on the computer from an off state, while windows is loading, you should see a line of text or two at the top. There's one telling you to press a button on the boot menu: that's where you want to go. Pretty sure my Laptop did have an option regarding internal keyboards, though it's been a while since I checked. You'll want to be very sure about what the setting will do before you use it, though(I'd contact the help section for Dell).

There is another method, however(though it's largely something I can think of in theory, and it might not work). Laptop keyboards are usually designed to pop out(there are usually directions for switching out keyboards). It's pretty easy to do, and once you do so, there's just one wire you have to disconnect(it connects the keyboard to the computer). Might not be good if you move around too much(as you know have a somewhat loose wire). With another keyboard connected, well, it should be alright.

Additionally, depending on the setup, this might prevent the computer from working(my laptop you could still turn on, but different hardware and all). Still, IF the keyboard is made to be switchable, you shouldn't have a problem connecting it again. It's just one wire. Just make sure that the keyboard is switchable.

Doesn't always work, from experience. Covering it will sometimes press keys.

Brother Oni
2013-09-26, 01:50 AM
The Device Manager has the "disable" button greyed out and unselectable. Are you all saying that it is impossible, then? There ought to be SOME way of keeping the computer from registering key presses on the built-in keyboard.

Since disabling the built-in keyboard will render your laptop inoperable without an external keyboard, it seems that the pre-installed OS (or the BIOS) has made it very difficult to do so.

There's probably a very roundabout way of doing it (probably BIOS or re-installing a clean OS, not the one that came pre-installed), but I suspect that a physical solution (either a mini-table or support over the laptop keyboard, or arranging the laptop and external keyboard so they can be on the same table together) will be easier.

bluewind95
2013-09-26, 10:50 AM
Doesn't always work, from experience. Covering it will sometimes press keys.

You'd need to cover it with something hard that's also slightly taller than the keyboard so it leaves the keys untouched. I've seen it done on some stores(precisely to avoid people pressing the keys). That way, you don't mess with the settings, or unwire something (opening a laptop is not always the best idea, it can be dangerous), and if, for some reason, something happens to the external keyboard, your laptop is perfectly operable while you get a new one.

KuReshtin
2013-10-01, 04:37 AM
You'd need to cover it with something hard that's also slightly taller than the keyboard so it leaves the keys untouched. I've seen it done on some stores(precisely to avoid people pressing the keys). That way, you don't mess with the settings, or unwire something (opening a laptop is not always the best idea, it can be dangerous), and if, for some reason, something happens to the external keyboard, your laptop is perfectly operable while you get a new one.

Opening a laptop to unplug the keyboard is usually not a very difficult thing to do, nor is it usually very impractical.
Mainly, this is because the manufacturers don't want to have to spend valuable technician/engineer time to replace keyboards when they can instead just send a new keyboard to the customer and have them do it themselves.

However, I still think that disabling the built-in keyboard is a weird idea.

KacyCrawford
2013-10-01, 11:02 AM

Same here.

Logic
2013-10-01, 12:05 PM

I think this is your only real option. A moderately thin piece of plastic, like a cutting board from the kitchen could do this very well. You could even are crafty enough, you could even cut it to fit over your keyboard perfectly, and create some kind of part to hold it in place.

kowloon_girls
2016-01-03, 04:13 PM
Why do you need to uninstall it?
From my understanding(and by that I mean I'm using a windows 8 dell laptop to post this) you can just plug in a USB keyboard even if the original keyboard is running

My mom scrubbed my laptop keyboard with methylated spirits while it was in sleep mode. She was quite pleased with herself. Strange things happen now. Just another reason someone might want to disable their laptop keyboard.

Icewraith
2016-01-04, 07:16 PM
Take a long, rigid, flat surface (like a wood or plastic cutting board) long enough to fit over your keyboard and then some.

Find some short strips, either more wood or sacrifice a different cutting board, and attach (staples? glue? nails? rivets?- just make sure you don't have any pointy bits sticking out to accidentally stab yourself on once you're done or mess up your laptop) them to the edges of the first piece so they don't touch your keyboard either. Then put this over your laptop and put your keyboard on top of it. If you did it right, the board itself will sit above the keys, the supports will center the board on the laptop while preventing excess movement, and your laptop won't be disabled if something happens to your external keyboard.