PDA

View Full Version : Less spells known, but more spells per day than a sorcerer?

Oko and Qailee
2013-09-24, 10:27 PM
Hey guys, so I'm trying to make a very specific character as a bit of a build challenge, and I have most of it kinda figured out.

SO basically, I' trying to build Edward Elric from FMA as a build challenge, here's what I have so far:

1) Monk2
-Evasion, flurry of blows, unarmed strike, profeciencies with weapons Edward often uses (ex. Dagger and quarter staff are his two most frequently used weapons)
2) MightyArm graft from Faiths of Ebberon
-A graft made of metal, simulates the automail arm. This is useful because t allows you to Shape Metal it into a weapon
3) Spells
-The following spells can essentially recreate Ed's entire arsenal:
Stoneshape, Metalshape, Fabricate, Repair (minor/light/mod/serious)

The big problem I have is #3, there are clearly too few spells Ed needs... but he also needs more spells/day so that he is practically limitless (he never really "runs out" of alchemy in the series).

Now obviously I can fill in some of the spells known with things reflavored: Ex. Obscuring Mist, just say he sees pools of water and transmutes.

The other thing is to change some spells to spell-like-abilities via "Innate Spell."

IDK, thoughts? recommendations?

Equinox
2013-09-24, 11:01 PM
Less spells known, but more spells per day than a Sorcerer = Warlock

A level 5 Warlock, for example, knows, effectively, 5 spells (Eldritch Blast, Detect Magic, and 3 Invocation), as opposed to 12 spells known by a 5th level Sorcerer - but has infinite spells per day.

Oko and Qailee
2013-09-24, 11:05 PM
I'm not familar much with Warlock, can they do spells similar to what I mentioned?

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-24, 11:07 PM
Psion.

You can get the spells onto your power list known through a Spell to Power Erudite and Psychic Chiguery is their isn't already a psionic version.

While you end up about even with a Sorcerer in terms of PP to spell slots, you can also use Bestow Power to recover your expended PP without a problem.

Take the feats Earth Sense and Earth Power and buy a Torc of Power Preservation, so long as you are standing on earth and have at least 1 initial PP you can regain PP at a rate of 1 PP per round.

avr
2013-09-24, 11:32 PM
Other means of getting endurance - reserve feats, though there may not be something existing which covers exactly these spells.

Items, multiple pearls of power can give you plenty of low level spells if that's your thing, or if you get a dragonmark of Making (ECS) there's another item which gives you extra uses of that.

Finally, some of what you're doing might be covered by Prestigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm). Since it lets you perform simple magical effects for 1 hour, it doesn't take a lot of uses to look like you'll never run out.

Fable Wright
2013-09-25, 12:34 AM
Psion.

Too versatile, too little melee. This is one case where Wilder works better (especially Educated Wilder), and Wild Surge tricks and feats can lead to PP recovery with slightly less investment. (At level 8 with Enervation Endurance, Wild Surging +3 Bestow Power will net you 1pp 85% of the time, and -3pp 15% of the time. Net gain. Past level 10, you start losing them unless you have Earth Sense and Earth power or a Torc of Power Preservation, and you need the other half of the combo at level 18.) Use Expanded Knowledge for Claws of the Beast to refluff as Ed's arm-shiv, Psionic Fabricate as most of his transmutations (replacing stone/metal shape), and then you just fill out the rest with whatever you need. Do note that Fabricate allows you to make materials with Craft(Alchemy), by the way, for things like the chemical reaction tricks he pulls off.