PDA

View Full Version : L5R A Dream Once Lost

Ghost49X
2013-09-24, 11:08 PM
Kitsune Nori - Kyuden Gotei

The streets of Kyuden Gotei were crowded with every manner of people from Samurai to the lowly eta going around their daily duties, stench from the filth in the streets ever present in the air. Nothing compared to the purity of Kyuden Kitsune, the majestic ancestral holdings of the Fox clan. Oh how Nori longed to be where he belong. But fate had intervened and Nori had other duties, duties that brought him to study far from home. Now that his studies had ended, Nori and his father were on route to meet with the clan champion, Yoritomo Naizen a man Nori personally despised. How could a common bandit come to hold the fealty of the once proud Fox Clan? Nonetheless it was not the time for such thoughts as today Naizen would assign Nori to serve the mantis in some role. His father had spent the night drilling Nori on how important this moment was, for if he made a bad impression he could be thrown under some forgotten rock where he would remain forgotten by the Empire and history. Ha! His fate surely did not lie in that direction, to be forgotten like a lowly man, he would one day acquire power, power to set things back as they should be.

Walking up to the castle itself, his father nodded at the guards. "Kitsune Benjiro and his son Kitsune Nori, we are expected." Walking past the guards before they could respond, once inside they followed a corridor leading into a large room. An old man with what looks like a permanent frown sits behind a desk. "Yes?"
Nori's father bowed in a respectful manner towards the old mantis, something Nori knew took alot of self control from the man. "Kitsune Benjiro and his son Kitsune Nori, we are here to speak to Yoritomo-domo. We were sent for."

The old man nods and walks towards the rice paper door on the other side of the room and knocks firmly. hearing a grunt from the other room he slides the door open an inch and murmurs something to the occupant. Getting a response he opens the door fully, bows and waves Benjiro and Nori inside.

Inside sits a man known to some as the 'Scourge of Storms'. Naizen grunts and signals them both to take a seat. Nori's father bows, this time much more deeply and holds his bow for a long breath, showing proper respect here was key.

Jack Arken
2013-09-25, 02:17 AM
Nori was not unused to the unwashed masses, his time studying under the Yoritomo had dulled his sense of distaste for the lower social castes. When one studies from merchants one learns that there is some worth in even the low. Still, the weather did not do well for the smell and he had spent hour's preparing for today's meeting. Inspecting his orange and silver trimmed kimono for mud or dirt he found none and quickly joined his father at the clerk's desk. He trailed behind his father by a few feet, and managed to suppress a distasteful frown when his father bowed to the man at the desk. Remember, now is the time for humility not for arrogance. He closed his eye a moment and imagined he was one of the actors in Kyogen theatre, putting on a farce. When he opened his eye he was calm again, and they were ushered into the presence of the Mantis Clan Champion.

Deciding to err on the side of humility Nori knelt down on the bamboo mat and leant forward until his forehead touched the ground, he held it for a mere second though before his father joined him on the floor. His face a neutral mask, Nori waited until his father or Naizen to speak to him before he would respond.

Ghost49X
2013-09-25, 04:20 PM
Avoiding eye contact, Benjiro kneels down in the formal Rokugani sitting position. "Naizen-dono, I bring you my son Kitsune Nori. He has passed his graduation ceremony and his sensei speak well of him, they say he was born for politics. I brought him before you, so that his skills may best serve the glory of our clan."
Naizen slowly transfered his attention towards Nori "Let me see your eyes boy." Naizen stared at Nori for what seemed to be an eternity, judging his character or perhaps for some yet unknown purpose. An eerie silence spread through the room as nether party made a sound until Naizen scratched his nose and cleared his throat "We have a..." Naizen takes a breath considering the right words "diplomatic routine leaving in two days for the Lion and Unicorn provinces. If he has as much potential as you say, he stands to learn much serving under Ayano, she has a shrewed eye and a sharp mind."

Jack Arken
2013-09-26, 10:16 AM
Nori's amber rimmed eye stared into Naizen's, some found the scars and the missing eye disturbing. He continued to stare until he spoke his first words to the man. "Thank you Yoritomo-sama. I assure you that I will not disappoint you where my skills are concerned. I will bring honor to the Clan and my family from this day until the end of my days." He bowed again and settled his hands onto his lap, glancing to his father. He hoped his father did not disapprove of his words.

Etiquette roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16107156#post16107156)

Btw im not exactly sure how to link directly to posts on the forum here.

Exploding dice total is 48 29+9+9 so I'm going to go ahead and raise by 2 to get a nice result.

Ghost49X
2013-09-29, 01:41 AM
Smiling slightly, Naizen stands up "Great, now away with you. I have other things to attend." Benjiro bowed deeply again and without saying anything left the room.
Outside night had settled in, Benjiro and Nori walked for awhile before ether one said anything. "You've done good, son. Tomorrow you meet this Ayano, I won't be there so make sure you're early and sober. Take the night to do as you please, I'm going to retire for the night."

Jack Arken
2013-09-30, 12:19 AM
Nori nodded to his father. "Yes Otousan." He seemed distracted as he often did, staring out into the city, torches and lamps beginning to dot the horizon as darkness fell. Though as usual he was focused on the future. "Let our allies know I will be in Lion lands, I may have need of their help. The Lion Clan are no friends of the Mantis, and I have much work to do to endear the Fox in their eyes." With a short and brusque goodbye to his father Nori ran through the things he would need. Perhaps he should find a gift that may impress the lord of Kyuden Ikoma. As he wandered the streets, the crowd growing more pugnacious and drunk, he recalled that the place held a renowned library. Perhaps a rare book then, a book for war for the Lion's would be superb. But where to acquire such a thing...

Regardless, the shops will be closed by now. He instead would find more information on Ayano. So he made his way to a district of the city that many of the Samurai class frequented for late night drinks and social conversation. He followed his nose once he got there, he smelled something delicious and spicy. It made him realize he had forgotten to eat, so focused had he been on the meeting with the Clan Champion. Soon finding the source of the smell to be a three story establishment bedecked in crimson lanterns, Nori made his way inside and found a table near a group of Yoritomo Samurai. Their family mon clearly visible. He ordered whatever delicious morsel he smelled cooking and a bottle of warmed Sake.

Ghost49X
2013-10-01, 12:47 PM
Kitsune Nori - Crimson Lantern Geisha house, Kyuden Gotei
On entering the establishment Nori sees a decent crowd without it being overcrowded. A graceful geisha sat on a raised stage playing a kugo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-04tVLpvh4) and many Samurai sat around the common room enjoying sake and the company of geisha. After sitting down a pretty young geisha came over and bowed gracefully "I am Meiko, what would please you Master?"

Taking his order she bowed and left. Shortly returning with a bowl of fried shrimp in spiced rice, a bottle of warm Sake and a small drinking cup. "Will there be anything else Master?" smiling and bowing gracefully.

The cooking is great, while the music is good

Perform: Kugo [roll0] with 1 Raise to provide a pleasing ambiance

Craft: Cooking [Mantis cuisine] [roll0]

exploded dice [roll0]
Emphasis re-roll [roll1]
The music rolled around 20-25 and the cooking rolled 25-30
If you wanted to know more about ether you'd have to roll the proper skill, though in this case I doubt it's necessary.

Jack Arken
2013-10-01, 01:42 PM
Nori smiled, one of the few times he did so, and nodded to the woman "Yes, would you be kind enough to deliver a bottle of sake to the table over there?" He said, glancing to the Yoritomo. Taking the chopsticks sitting on the table he takes one of the shrimp and pops it in his mouth. My goodness, this was truly not a wasted trip even if he did not find the information he sought. Closing his eyes he added. "And inform the chef that I am pleased with the meal." His hopes were that they would ask him to join them, and perhaps he could get some information about his new superior from the local gossip. In the meantime he would enjoy the meal.

Courtier Roll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16135424#post16135424) to manipulate the conversation to Ayano and recent dealings with the Lion clan.

Ghost49X
2013-10-01, 08:27 PM
Bowing the geisha leaves and returns with a bottle of sake. Bowing to the Samurai sited around that table she presents the bottle and waves in the direction of Nori.

One of the samurai waves at Nori "Ahoy! Friend, you look in need of some company, come join share this sake with us." With that the others cheer and encourage him to come over.

Jack Arken
2013-10-01, 09:57 PM
Nori nods to the men and takes his plate and sake over to their table. "Thank you." He said taking a seat at the table. "I find myself lacking in drinking companions, and you seem to know how to have a good time." He went to pour sake into his cup. "I am Kitsune Nori, I see you are of the Yoritomo? A fine family." After letting them introduce themselves he brought the cup up and exclaimed "Kampai!" And brought the cup to his lips, making it seem as if he were drinking. "I am actually here to visit Yoritomo Naizen-sama." Eventually he would steer the conversation to Ayano. "Yes... I did visit the palace. But it seemed the Clan Champion was meeting with a woman by the name of Ayano. Do you know of her? She seemed important, if I was turned away."

Ghost49X
2013-10-02, 03:13 PM
Out of the 5 samurai at the table, one is particularly big, one is short than the others but gaining in girth what he looses in height; one has a few scars which leaves his face some what ugly; One looks a little thin and bony; Among them, the last two are Samurai-ko, one would be graceful and pretty if it were not the scar running down from her left eye to her chin and the other is more heavy set, with a strong build.

When Nori goes to pour himself a drink. They give him a look, and the big man waves his hands "no, no, no, let me pour you that drink" he insists as he holds out a bottle of sake.

"We are, except for the lady here" the short man nods towards the lady with the scar. "Tsuruchi Yaheiko" she introduces herself smiling pleasantly, though her scar ruins the effect.

"Would you pour me a drink?" the short man ask as he holds out his cup for Nori to fill.

"Ho! You mean that whore? Rumor is she devours the spirit of men, leaving them nothing but a shadow of their former selves." The thin man replies "She has more bastards than some minor clans have bushi!" With that the whole table erupts in laughter.

Jack Arken
2013-10-02, 05:31 PM
He filled the cup of the short samurai and when he hears the boisterous claim Nori joins them, laughing heartily. "Well, it looks like I'm in for some trouble. It seems she and I will be setting sail together tomorrow." This time he did empty his cup. "Ah well, I am sure she will be too busy with the sailors to bother with me no?" He casts furtive glances at Yaheiko, he didn't find her unnapealing, and he found the scars interesting. Running a finger along the line of pink flesh that ran down the corner of his mouth he inquired about they and their reasons for being in the city.

Ghost49X
2013-10-02, 08:44 PM
A woman in a loose mantis green kimono and gold trimming walked up to the table. She bends over towards the thin man, offering an indecent view of cleavage to the table "oh, did I over hear you speak ill of Mother? Now, now, that wasn't very nice of you and we both know how personal she takes it when people speak ill of her when she isn't present" smiling and sighing "oh but sake might help me forget those hurtful words"

The thin man nods nervously and the lady waves over a geisha "This gentlemen offered me a bottle of your finest Sake" she added a smile for good measure and the man nodded. After the geisha left she leans in "nothing happened hear, but do mind your tongue from now on".

The geisha returns with a decorated bottle and offers it to the lady who takes it then walks off to sit elsewhere in the room.

Jack Arken
2013-10-04, 06:45 PM
Nori's eyebrows rose in surprise at the obvious blackmail. The Samurai's gossip must be true about the children, otherwise this was a true coincidence or divine intervention. "Ah, apologies friends. I think I should make my own apologies to the lady as well." He bowed to the table as he rose and ordered another bottle of "The finest" sake for them to soothe the man's wallet that he had unintentionally sapped by broaching the subject. Never say that he did not make amends to those that helped him.

He made his way casually over to the woman's table and bowed at the waist. "I apologize for my friends words. He cannot hold his drink well." Straightening he added. "I apologize for my part as well. I was curious about your mother. Since we would be working together. Perhaps you could enlighten me to the truth, so that I will not be lead astray by idle gossip?" He held his cup and bottle of sake in hand as he waited her answer.

Courtier roll to convince her to let him sit with her and talk about her mother. 31 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16156973#post16156973)

Ghost49X
2013-10-05, 09:34 PM
Kitsune Nori - Crimson Lantern Geisha house
"Oh of course, though I don't believe we've met. I am Ayano's third daughter Yorimoto Ginchiyo." she says with a smile "Here let me pour you a drink" afterwards she rests her head on her hand supported by her elbow on the table. Listening inventively to Nori, her wide black eyes seemingly absorbing everything he has to say while her smile draws him in and makes him comfortable.

"So what would you like to know about my esteemed mother?"

Jack Arken
2013-10-05, 10:22 PM
"Yes, I am Kitsune Nori. Recently come to the City of Thunder." He took a seat across from her, setting down his things on the short table."Well, I must admit I know very little." He noticed her relaxed demeanor and did the same. Leaning back on his hands to prop him up he canted his head to the side, studying her. "I suppose I would like to know how she goes about her duties. I will be working under her, does she treat those under her well?" He chuckled, picking up the cup. "Arigato." He took a sip, sitting forward as he filled her cup as well. "Whatever you feel I should know perhaps? You do know her best, being her daughter."

Terrible Investigation roll to see if shes lying or is giving off any telltale physical signs of ulterior motives 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16163404#post16163404)

Ghost49X
2013-10-05, 10:50 PM
She raises her cup "Kampai!" and empties it in one swing "Well she is quick to take a slight at people speaking ill of her, in particular if she isn't there to hear about it." Ginchiyo smiles giving Nori time to finish his drink. She then signals a geisha and points at something behind Nori then looking back at him "Would you like some dango? The crimson lantern has quite the recipe".

Jack Arken
2013-10-06, 12:18 AM
Glancing over his shoulder he turned the scarred half of his face towards her. "Oh, I thank you for the offer. But I'm not much for sweets." She didn't seem dangerous, but something about her seemed off. "Well, I would think most people would find that insulting. I myself have been known to lose my temper at hasty words spoken when none thought I could hear." Grinning wolfishly he returned his gaze to her. After taking a moment to offer her refreshment and fill her cup he asked. "I never did find you're mother's Family name. What was it again?"

Ghost49X
2013-10-06, 11:04 AM
"Oh I'm not much for sweets ether but these dongo do grow on you." She says while laughing softly. "For some people their temper burns like a brush fire, it flares up and consumes everything until there is nothing left to burn."
Holding out her cup for him to fill it when he offers it. Though after she sets it down "Now, if you're not drinking yours am I to get the impression you're trying to get me drunk? Oh come on, no one likes to drink alone" waving her hand towards his drink, she smiles "you wouldn't want a pretty girl to out drink you, now would you?"

Jack Arken
2013-10-08, 01:13 AM
"It seems you've caught me. I guess my plan to find my way home tonight has failed." He said raising his cup and downing it, leaning his head back. "Ahh, this isn't bad. I would hate to find my friend's money was wasted on poor sake." He waited a moment for her to answer his question, but when she did not he asked again. "Your mother's family name, it isn't Yoritomo is it? I would think that would be your father's am I right?"

Ghost49X
2013-10-08, 09:40 PM
As he downs his sake she raises her own follows suite "Kampai!"

A geisha arrives with a small plate of stacked dongo, bowing gracefully she places the order on the table "shall this be all mistress?" Ginchiyo declines with a gesture and picks up a skewer of dongo. The geisha turns slightly to face Nori "Master?"

Bowing again the geisha leaves the two to their conversation. "mmm, deliciously good" Ginchiyo smiles, chewing on the first dango. "Yes, now about mother... Yeah she never married and even if she did, I doubt she'd have taken his name. So I'd have no reason to take my father's name, even if I knew him. She's got quite the eye for commerce, I've heard them say she can multiply koku out of thin air." Smiling she picks up her cup and holds it out "would you pour me another drink?"

Jack Arken
2013-10-08, 10:20 PM
He obliges her, pouring the clear liquid into her cup. "Ah, I see then. So Yoritomo Ayano. Interesting, I'm ashamed I've never heard of her. But news rarely reaches us in the Kitsune Mori." He waves away the Geisha's offered plate. "One more question and I promise not to bother you about your family. You're mother, what sort of things does she respect in others? I want to make a good impression you see." He held out his cup. "Another if you don't mind."

Ghost49X
2013-10-10, 11:27 AM
Pouring the last of the first bottle into his cup she smiles, raising up her own to her lips "Yes, but before that tell me more about yourself, I feel this conversation is a little bit one-sided don't you?" flashing a brief smile before downing her sake "Kampai!"

Jack Arken
2013-10-11, 05:11 AM
Raising his glass he adds. "Kampai!" Before drinking. "Well, I am of the Kitsune family. I am a courtier, newly graduated from the Yoritomo school." Shrugging a shoulder he smiled, "Other than that I am uninteresting. I'm sure."

Ghost49X
2013-10-13, 08:09 PM
"Oh Really? I wouldn't consider that uninteresting, most of my family graduated from the Yoritomo courtier's school themselves. Though it is quite rare to see the Kitsune study outside their lands and considering the different approaches to politics of our families I'm surprised the kitsune don't have a dojo to train courtiers in their own style."

"If you're accompanying us on Mother's northern Empire delegation trip, you'll probably have the chance to visit your home at some point. If you wish I can arrange for us to stop by the Kitsune provinces".

Jack Arken
2013-10-17, 01:37 AM
Nori's face became a frozen mask, he had not been expecting her to be one of the representatives on the delegation. "Is that so?" He said, recovering his demeanor. "Well, I think there is a benefit of learning from our allies. The Yoritomo have... different methods of politick, but I think no less useful then what the Kitsune offer. Afterall, ours is not a clan that is invited to Court often." Taking a sip of sake he sat up. "I would enjoy showing you the lands of my people. But I would not inconvenience us for so selfish a reason as homesickness. Though I thank you for the offer."

Ghost49X
2013-10-17, 10:39 AM
Sighing gently, she smiles "Trade is the back bone of our clan, as Merchant patrons, we are better suited to background diplomacy. Where the Kitsune" she gestures towards Nori "are closer to what other clans would expect in court, and such things count. Besides with the Mantis backing you, it wouldn't take long before you were present throughout the courts." Reaching for another dango skewer she bites her lower lip, and then pops one of the sweets into her mouth. Looking back at Nori she smiles.

There may still be more to be had from this conversation depending on where you want to take this, if you can give me an etiquette [conversation] roll to gauge how interesting you're making this conversation.

Jack Arken
2013-10-17, 06:30 PM
Nori's eye lingers on her lip and he smiles as well, "I'm glad to see you have such confidence in me. I have a similar opinion as well. It is time our family stepped out of the shadows of our forests and gained real strength." Gesturing to her he added. "You and I together here, are similar. We would be better served together than apart. Don't you agree?"

Ettquette (Conversation) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16238120#post16238120)
24+9+9+8=50

Ghost49X
2013-10-22, 12:31 AM
Nodding slightly as she smiles "oh perhaps" taking a deep breath then tilting her head slightly "though I would say inspiration and finesse not strength would be more valuable, after all a sailor and an archer can do more than two sailors." Taking another bite of a dango she takes a moment to enjoy the snack.

Jack Arken
2013-10-23, 01:12 PM
Turning his sake cup over he nods. "Yes, but we have never lacked those attributes. The lion still remember when we destroyed their army when they threatened the Sparrow. Such an alliance was an inspiration to your ancestor who likewise made an alliance of smaller clans."

Ghost49X
2013-10-30, 09:04 PM
Smiling gently her eyes seem to focus on her memories "One thing the Mantis have proven time and time again; is that no matter how small you are, power and glory are never too far out of reach." Looking back at Nori she smiles, and holds up her cup "would you pour me another drink?"

Jack Arken
2013-10-30, 09:35 PM
"Of course." He picked up the bottle of sake and poured it into her cup. "I think we will get along very well." He added, leaning back. "I can admire a woman who understands proper ambition."

Jack Arken
2013-11-06, 10:12 PM
Sighing Nori rose, but not before sliding the bottle over to her. "We should talk again. We will have much time to discuss the future as we make our way to the Court of the Ikoma." He bowed to her. "Goodnight Yoritomo Ginchiyo-dono."