PDA

View Full Version : How good is an ashworm dragoon?

CyberThread
2013-09-24, 11:34 PM
So say you are actually playing in the sand environment, and things are favorable towards the PRC, how good is the class actually as a mount based character?

Nettlekid
2013-09-24, 11:39 PM
So say you are actually playing in the sand environment, and things are favorable towards the PRC, how good is the class actually as a mount based character?

In my experience, very. I played a not-very-optimized one in a not-very-optimized campaign, and it was lethal. The Ashworm itself makes a strong combatant, and can disable foes with those grapple checks. If you beef up your mounted combat options with feats like Spirited Charge and Power Attack, and find some way (it's out there somewhere, if it's not default already, I forget) to let a mount's charge count as you charging, then Shock Trooper Spirited Charge with a lance does amazing damage. It's also really hard to attack you or your mount because you can keep substituting Ride checks for your mount's AC.

I highly suggest starting with Knight, because the free Mounted feats are handy and you'll like that full BAB, as well as having some fun abilities in the form of the Knight's Challenge that synergize interestingly with underground travel. Paladin might also work well, and don't be too put off about the loss of the stinger, because the poison isn't too great anyway. But yeah, I say it's a strong class. And is also SO COOL. SANDWORM. YOU'RE RIDING A GIANT SAND WORM. IT'S COOL.

Zombulian
2013-09-25, 12:39 AM
Also, Knight is the dopeness. So there's a plus.