PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Master Thief Gish

Grayson01
2013-09-24, 11:42 PM
So here is my IDea and build for a Stealth master thief Gish. Basically the concept is a character who specializes in stealing from Wizards, stealing their Items, their spells, spell books, information you name it. He would be very full of himself and would focus on both mundane and magical means to accomplish his missions. He would be extremely tactically minded never rushing into a job and charging top dollar.
okay here is the Class levels and Feat selection.
In order (one disclaimer there is one house rule used which is you can take feats and class levels in what ever order you want. So 6th lvl I need that feat to take the PrC)
Human Spell Thief 1 Wizard (Congeration Spec with Abrupt Juant ACF) 4 Dagger Spellmage 10 SPell Warp Sniper 5
Feats
Gave up Enchantment and Necro

1 lvl Two-weapon Fighting B* Point Blank Shot
3 Weapon Focus Dagger
6 Master Spell Thief
9 Extend Spell
12 Persistent Spell
15 ether Telling Blow/Widen Spell/ or Darkstalker
18 Empower Spell

This build would net me a 19th caster level, 9th level Steal Spell, Trap Finding, Dagger Cast, Invocation of the knife, Double Dagger Cast, Aracne Infusion, Arcane Throw, Dagger Flurry, Spell Warp 5th lvl spells, Precise shot, Ray Mastery

So any advice on the build that will help it fit the theme and increase it's effectiveness and any items and weapon enchantments that are needed?
I also have a long spell list that i want but if any you think I can't go without please let me know.

A_S
2013-09-25, 12:15 AM
I'm not really understanding the synergy between Daggerspell Mage and Spellwarp Sniper. You can't deliver the rays of the latter using the abilities of the former, unless I'm missing something.

What do you envision this character doing every round?

Turion
2013-09-25, 12:30 AM
I don't know how set in stone your class levels are, but Daggerspell Mage and Spellwarp Sniper don't mesh very well. DsM is all about stabbing people with touch spells, and SwS is about attacking from range with rays. it's best to focus on one of these or the other; it's pretty difficult to do both effectively. If possible, I'd recommend switching one of those to Unseen Seer.

Also, note that by a strict reading, Master Spellthief increases your spellthief level for spells stolen, but not for stolen spells stored, meaning that you can't do anything with stolen spells above first level, except possibly trigger Arcane Strike (it's a free action, so your DM may rule that you can use it before the spell energy dissipates).

If you're planning on stabbing things repeatedly in the face spleen, you could do worse than Arcane Strike, by the way. It applies to all the melee attacks you make in that round, so if you make 5-6 attacks the damage starts to add up.

For items: if you're TWFing, then Gloves of the Balanced Hand are a must. Don't spend a feat slot on ITWF if you can get the same thing for gold, and the attack from GTWF isn't likely to hit, anyways. Also, a wand of Heroics will never hurt to have (LOVE that spell).

Grayson01
2013-09-25, 10:16 PM
Spell Warp was kinda Just cause I have 5 levels left and it added in some ranged Sneak Attack So I have some more options and it was ether that or 5 more of wizard. gave me some more save bonuses, precise shot to help with my thrown daggers. If there is another PrC that you recommended that will fit in with the concept.

(Un)Inspired
2013-09-25, 11:04 PM
I've always really liked the idea of the thief that steals from wizards and turns around and sells their stuff. It seems way more cool to me than a fighter that tries to go toe to toe on the battlefield with a wizard (AKA a dead man).

The problem I always come to when i start to create one is how to bypass the fact the the wizard can see across space and time. How do you thwart his ability to know exactly when and how you're going to try to break into his abode before you do? Doesn't divination ruin all thievery?

Additionally how do you get into his personally demiplane? Doesn't planeshift require that you have a material component that is specially designed for whatever plane you want to go to?

gorfnab
2013-09-26, 12:02 AM
Sneak Attacking Spellcasters Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)
Unseen Seer might be a better option than Spellwarp Sniper for rounding out the build. Abjurant Champion could also be nice filler if you can meet the prereqs.

rockdeworld
2013-09-26, 12:33 AM
Sneak Attacking Spellcasters Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)
Unseen Seer might be a better option than Spellwarp Sniper for rounding out the build.
Seconded. Unseen Seer's Guarded Mind, while not perfect (you can still be found by a strong/lucky enough opponent), is exactly what you want.

On a side note, how do you arrive at "9th level steal spell" in your above build? Prestige classes are counted separately for Master Spellthief. never mind, I misremembered.