PDA

View Full Version : Unkillable Frenzied Beserker

Invader
2013-09-25, 08:12 AM
Can someone point me to the frenzied berserker build where he stays in a perpetual frenzy and is in theory unkillable by regular hp damage.

Invader
2013-09-25, 06:39 PM
Even a link to a decent frenzied berserker handbook would be appreciated.

Vin Robinson
2013-09-25, 07:48 PM
If you are looking for a good read, here are a few famous barbarian guides.

Consolidated Barbarian Handbook
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=p3dnpelabsuqgnek245tah5tt6&topic=1472

Being Bane: A Guide to Cracking Small Men
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=p3dnpelabsuqgnek245tah5tt6&topic=486

Invader
2013-09-25, 08:12 PM
If you are looking for a good read, here are a few famous barbarian guides.

Consolidated Barbarian Handbook
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=p3dnpelabsuqgnek245tah5tt6&topic=1472

Being Bane: A Guide to Cracking Small Men
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=p3dnpelabsuqgnek245tah5tt6&topic=486

Neither one works...

RustyArmor
2013-09-25, 08:27 PM
Think they can't die till the rage ends. Only 3 rds + con mod. Worst comes to worst just run away from them.

Got book and the last sentience of said rage does say. "fight that opponent without regard to friendship, innocence, or health (the target's or their own)" that final statement can (as with most statements and rules) can be translated by however the reader wishes I suppose.

Invader
2013-09-25, 08:38 PM
Think they can't die till the rage Only 3 rds + con mod. Worstomes to worst just run away from them.

Got book and the last sentience of said rage does say. "fight that opponent without regard to friendship, innocence, or health (the target's or their own)" that final statement can (as with most statements and rules) can be translated by however the reader wishes I suppose.

Right but I recall a build where you were either perpetually raging so could never die or regardless of how much damage you took you wouldn't die when you stopped raging and it def didn't involve drowning yourself to get back to 0 hps.

Studoku
2013-09-25, 08:38 PM
Neither one works...
Both are fine to me. What error message are you getting?

Spuddles
2013-09-25, 08:41 PM

Those dont have the builds he's looking for.

Invader
2013-09-25, 08:42 PM

Says error, they're either missing or off limits.

Also this ^ :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2013-09-25, 10:21 PM
Frenzied berserker is in Complete Warrior.

Here's another "Being Bane." http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525 Should be the same thing, just different forum.
FB Builds? Just type it into google man.

lsfreak
2013-09-25, 11:06 PM
This thread is the first thing to pop up when I googled "unkillable frenzied berserker," various other wording choices result in returns for WoW, DDO, NWN2, etc, and I, at least, haven't heard of this before. I'm wondering if there was some misunderstanding by the OP as to the nature of the build? Considering how often FB is brought up, if there was a way of making it unkillable through HP damage I'd think it'd be brought up more often in those threads.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-25, 11:16 PM
Your google-fu is lacking. Put in the tag 3.5 or d&d.
I got a lot of gitp threads by people looking for help.

I would do more, but I focus fb builds on not killing the party, rather than being unkillable.

lsfreak
2013-09-25, 11:53 PM
Your google-fu is lacking. Put in the tag 3.5 or d&d.

Okay point (though it still picks up DDO and NWN), but I'm still finding a big nothing when it comes to making your rage last forever.

Toy Killer
2013-09-26, 12:39 AM
I believe there is a template in heroes of horror that makes you permentantly raging. it's name eludes me, but i'm pretty sure you can't just 'Choose' to take it. I think it's Tainted Rager, or something similar.

I planned to use it for an arena champion until I came to my senses and realized I was about to put an arena into my game. Which, word to the wise, is essentially a black hole in any kind of plot you could have had to your campaign. Players don't want to leave the arena unless they start the game in the arena, in which case, they will leave before you have any kind of development.

Immabozo
2013-09-26, 12:59 AM
Cursed Bastard Sword of Berzerk? Always berkerking when it is in your hand. I think that should do it. Or a custom magic item of perma-frenzy.

lsfreak
2013-09-26, 01:20 AM
I believe there is a template in heroes of horror that makes you permentantly raging. it's name eludes me, but i'm pretty sure you can't just 'Choose' to take it. I think it's Tainted Rager, or something similar.

This doesn't help a frenzied berserker, as it doesn't let frenzy continue indefinitely. Only the rage granted as part of the template.

Cursed Bastard Sword of Berzerk? Always berkerking when it is in your hand. I think that should do it. Or a custom magic item of perma-frenzy.
That fails to address the nonlethal damage frenzy constantly inflicts, though there's a few ways around it (though this is a problem with FB anyways, deathless frenzy doesn't actually let you ignore your steadily-growing nonlethal damage except by reading rules into descriptive text). Still though, I doubt the build the OP is looking for revolved around a custom, cursed-but-not-really item.

Immabozo
2013-09-26, 01:26 AM
That fails to address the nonlethal damage frenzy constantly inflicts, though there's a few ways around it (though this is a problem with FB anyways, deathless frenzy doesn't actually let you ignore your steadily-growing nonlethal damage except by reading rules into descriptive text). Still though, I doubt the build the OP is looking for revolved around a custom, cursed-but-not-really item.

I don't recall a non-lethal damage-per-round bit, but I am entirely too tired to look it up. I'll take your word.

lsfreak
2013-09-26, 01:31 AM
Actually, I half take that back. I still hold that by RAW it does nothing to help with the nonlethal damage, but it's likely in the same vein as monks not actually being proficient in their unarmed strike. So your suggestion would probably work, it's just again, I do doubt the build the OP has in mind revolved around custom item shenanigans to create a never-die-from-damage character.

Fyermind
2013-09-26, 02:35 AM
It isn't a custom item it's a published item and it probably is exactly what the OP is thinking of. I don't know of any other ways of getting a perma frenzy going.

lsfreak
2013-09-26, 02:47 AM
It isn't a custom item it's a published item and it probably is exactly what the OP is thinking of. I don't know of any other ways of getting a perma frenzy going.

That only grants barbarian rage, it doesn't do anything special for those who already have rage, let alone frenzy. We're still talking custom items.

Invader
2013-09-26, 04:56 AM
Frenzied berserker Is in Complete Warrior.

Here's another "Being Bane." http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525 Should be the same thing, just different forum.
FB Builds? Just type it into google man.

I know where the class is at and obviously I tried Google. There's nothing addressing my first question and not really a lot of helpful information in a lot of those other threads regarding my second.

As for your link it's great except it only has one blurb about frenzied berserker and the only info that contains is basic class info so it's not helpful at all.

Fruchtkracher
2013-09-26, 05:54 AM
There's also a Barbarian variant (in PHB II i think?) that allows you to rage as soon as you are under 5 hitpoints/level.
Have a Con-Modifier that's really low and you are constantly raging.

That might do the trick.

DarkEternal
2013-09-26, 07:28 AM
Think they can't die till the rage ends. Only 3 rds + con mod. Worst comes to worst just run away from them.

I'm pretty sure a severely pissed off barbarian who exists to dismember, slay, butcher and dance on the corpses of his fallen enemies would not think to run away during his rage.

littlebum2002
2013-09-26, 08:31 AM
That only grants barbarian rage, it doesn't do anything special for those who already have rage, let alone frenzy. We're still talking custom items.

I think the sword is what he is talking about. I personally have heard this item mentioned numerous times as a tool for unlimited frenzy. I think it would take a narrow interpretation of the rules to read otherwise.

The sword says:

However, whenever the sword is used in battle, its wielder goes berserk (gaining all the benefits and drawbacks of the barbarian’s rage ability). He attacks the nearest creature and continues to fight until unconscious or dead or until no living thing remains within 30 feet.

And frenzied Berserker's Deathless Frenzy says:

At 4th level and higher, a frenzied berserker can scorn death and unconsciousness while in a frenzy. As long as her frenzy continues, she is not treated as disabled at 0 hit points, nor is she treated as dying at —1 to —9 hit points. Even if reduced to —10 hit points or less, she continues to fight normally until her frenzy ends. At that point, the effects of her wounds apply normally if they have not been healed. This ability does not prevent death from massive damage or from spell effects such as slay living or disintegrate.

I understand where you are coming from: You are saying the Berserker will end his frenzy (along with his Deathless ability) after the normal "Con + 3 rounds" and the rage from the sword will continue. But I've always understood it to be the other way, that this sword will permanently extend the Frenzy as well as the Rage. After all, it IS a cursed sword. If you have the ability to Frenzy, I would imagine the sword would exploit it. It seems weird for a "Berserking sword" to let you calm down in the middle of battle.

So basically you need to ask your DM. But yes, if he reads the rules that way, you can give your Frenzied Berserker a berserking Sword and, as long as he never drops the sword (magically Locked Gauntlets!) you'll just keep swinging away for days on end if necessary to kill anything that threatens you. Of course, when you end that Frenzy, your Cleric be able to heal you from -500 HP or at least have Raise Dead prepared.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-26, 08:38 AM
If I remember the build correctly, there was a half black dragon human with the troll blooded and burning rage feat build. It rages when at low enough HP without limit and becomes immune to lethal damage while raging.

Then there was some way to become immune to non-lethal damage that I can't remember. What you got was a character who couldn't be hurt past a point, and damaging them just made them angry.

Segev
2013-09-26, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, I have to agree that the Berserking Sword doesn't say a thing about extending Frenzy. It operates "as Barbarian Rage."

The FB's unkillable trait only functions while in a Frenzy; if he's using Rage, it isn't a Frenzy.

I don't think they get their class features that activate during Frenzy when they use a Barbarian Rage, either, despite most of them having at least one Barbarian Rage per day.

Immabozo
2013-09-26, 11:40 AM
If I remember the build correctly, there was a half black dragon human with the troll blooded and burning rage feat build. It rages when at low enough HP without limit and becomes immune to lethal damage while raging.

Then there was some way to become immune to non-lethal damage that I can't remember. What you got was a character who couldn't be hurt past a point, and damaging them just made them angry.

Incredible Hulk Build?

there are three different term, rage, frenzy and berserk. Berserk is defined to ACT like rage. No mention of frenzy. While it is by no means a leap of the imagination that it would work if you had it, by the same token, it is a curse that gives anyone using it the effects of rage.

So I could see it either way.

Also (unless I was taught wrong) it doesn't matter how far into the negatives you are, 1 hp Cure Minor Wounds will bring you up to 0 or 1 and stable, right? So in this case that -6000 hp FB is healed hor 6001 points with a Cure Minor Wounds, right?

Chronos
2013-09-26, 12:00 PM
Any amount of magical healing will stabilize you, but it doesn't automatically bring you to -1. Ordinarily, this doesn't matter much, because there's little practical difference between being stable at -8 and being stable at -1, but there's still a huge difference between being at -5,999 and being at -1.

Deca4531
2013-09-26, 01:33 PM
D&D Next has the function of ignoring what you -HP is and restoring HP starting at 0, but as far as I know you still have to heal the full -HP in 3.5

Immabozo
2013-09-26, 04:03 PM
Any amount of magical healing will stabilize you, but it doesn't automatically bring you to -1. Ordinarily, this doesn't matter much, because there's little practical difference between being stable at -8 and being stable at -1, but there's still a huge difference between being at -5,999 and being at -1.

hmmmm, I guess I was taught a houseruke

littlebum2002
2013-09-26, 04:36 PM
From my understanding, the best healing spell is Heal, which is 10x Cleric's caster level. So at level 15, you better not go under -151 HP.

Of course, if you're really THAT powerful (which you will be), your cleric should have no problem with throwing a few CSW's at you whenever you hit -100HP or so.

Immabozo
2013-09-26, 05:47 PM
I think the +3 enchantment for healing = to half damage dealt is the way to go! Str 36 is not unreasonable to assume. (18 base + 8 frenzy, + 3 level + 4 rage + 4 item untyped +1 because I made an error and it's only ballpark). At level 11, with the first bonus to PA from Frenzied Berserker, PA for 11, with leap attack, two handed weapon, Combat Brute, Cleave, Supreme Cleave, Whirling Barbie ACF, you should be attacking +22/+22/+18/+13 for 1D12 + 19 (str) + 55 (PA) (and at level 16, +96) for an average of 80 damage, or 40 healed, per hit. If all hit, that's an average of 160 heal per turn. Get a weapon made out of Koatari resin and a crit will bring you average 240 damage, or 120 healed in that one hit. And your to-hit can EASILY be rocketed up!

Now, at level 16, switch gears to War Hulk. You need to be playing a large race. Maybe Goliath and DM will let mountain rage qualify you? Well, +2 str every level. Then slap a skilled enchantment on your weapon for another +3 BAB (over the 4 War Hulk levels)

So, You will be sitting at ANOTHER +8 str, and you hit 3 squares per swing. For another, lets say 3D6 + 17 (str) + 114 (PA) for an average of 140, to up to 3 opponents, per swing, across 4 attacks, for up to 1680 damage per turn, or up to 840 healing per turn.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

EDIT: plus cleaves and great cleaves, with supreme cleave, can get pretty nuts

Chronos
2013-09-26, 06:56 PM
Then slap a skilled enchantment on your weapon for another +3 BAB (over the 4 War Hulk levels)
That won't work. Skilled works on your total BAB, not your BAB from any particular class. A barbarian etc. 16/War Hulk 4 would have a BAB of 16. 3/4 BAB, which Skilled would give you, would only be 15.

Immabozo
2013-09-26, 09:31 PM
That won't work. Skilled works on your total BAB, not your BAB from any particular class. A barbarian etc. 16/War Hulk 4 would have a BAB of 16. 3/4 BAB, which Skilled would give you, would only be 15.

I was afraid it might work like that. Thanks mate.

Talderas
2013-09-27, 07:52 AM
Actually, I half take that back. I still hold that by RAW it does nothing to help with the nonlethal damage, but it's likely in the same vein as monks not actually being proficient in their unarmed strike. So your suggestion would probably work, it's just again, I do doubt the build the OP has in mind revolved around custom item shenanigans to create a never-die-from-damage character.

The nonlethal damage dealt each round is dealt with by getting regeneration.