PDA

View Full Version : Animal-istic, man!

Theafroscotsman
2013-09-25, 09:04 AM
Trying to be creative is a difficult thing for me really, and hopefully it will improve in time. I'm building a character for a campaign after the DM partial-party wiped us by giving us something quite unreasonable to fight.
One real restriction, no race above LA+0. and no magazines
I have most if not all of the 3.5 books.
The type of the character I want to make is someone who becomes like the animals, but doesn't become one. If you get my drift. Would like him to be melee combat orientated, but any caster information would be cool . Kind of like a shaman I guess.
Any tips and ideas would be great. Thanks.

SciChronic
2013-09-25, 09:06 AM
Totemist or Psychic Warrior Claw Gish would be my suggestions

Feytalist
2013-09-25, 09:09 AM
Race-wise, killoren or shifter could work. But it's not really extensive enough, probably.

So... totemist. Gaining abilities from certain idolised monsters is sort-of his whole shtick. You can even refluff soulmelds as sort-of semi-shapeshifting, if you really want to. As a bonus, totemists are quite decent with natural attacks.

Diovid
2013-09-25, 09:17 AM
One option is Shifter Barbarian / Weretouched Master. For a comprehensive Shifter handbook see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225294).

Another option is Barbarian x / Beastmaster 1 / Animal Lord 10 with the Natural Bond feat (and possibly the Extra Rage and Shared Fury feats). Beastmaster, Animal Lord and Natural Bond are from Complete Adventurer.

Aside from these specific builds, in general I'd suggest looking at barbarian or ranger acfs: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=mmen546fkes332dta8dcag4ua3&topic=7908

bekeleven
2013-09-25, 09:23 AM
Sounds like shifter anything or druid anything.

Although the shifter druid PrC doesn't really fit...

Theafroscotsman
2013-09-25, 09:37 AM
I've thought about totemist, I'll look into that now. The character I played that died was a Barbarian, so I'd rather not play that this time around :P

Edit: Can totemist pick up oozemaster?

eggynack
2013-09-25, 02:13 PM
Sounds like shifter anything or druid anything.

Although the shifter druid PrC doesn't really fit...
You could always do the shifter substitution levels instead of moonspeaker. I don't think beast spirit has synergy with moonspeaker, so that could work well for this. Wild shifting is best avoided though.

bekeleven
2013-09-25, 02:32 PM
You could always do the shifter substitution levels instead of moonspeaker. I don't think beast spirit has synergy with moonspeaker, so that could work well for this. Wild shifting is best avoided though.

It does have synergy. Shifter Druid 9/Moonspeaker 11 with Natural Bond is the preferred SNA build. Although personally I prefer Druid 10/Moonspeaker 6/Paragnostic Apostle 3/Contemplative 1, but that's a taste thing.

If building a summoner, Beast Spirit 12 gives SNA as a standard action. Moonspeaker 4 gives, among other buffs, free extend with SNA. Combine with Ashbound for double extend.

eggynack
2013-09-25, 02:43 PM
It does have synergy. Shifter Druid 9/Moonspeaker 11 with Natural Bond is the preferred SNA build. Although personally I prefer Druid 10/Moonspeaker 6/Paragnostic Apostle 3/Contemplative 1, but that's a taste thing.

If building a summoner, Beast Spirit 12 gives SNA as a standard action. Moonspeaker 4 gives, among other buffs, free extend with SNA. Combine with Ashbound for double extend.
I was mostly thinking of it in terms of moonspeaker not advancing the animal companion, but I suppose that swapping out the animal companion might still be worth it, even if you don't go all the way. I generally think of moonspeaker as an 8/12 build, and that might not be the best way to do it. I don't really like the whole druid with cleric prestige classes thing all that much though, because you're ditching even more wild shape progression than you would otherwise. I just don't know how important that is in this context. Long story short, shifter druids are kinda crazy complicated in some ways, at least when compared to regular druids, and I know way less about optimal strategies for them than I'd like to. The current handbooks just don't have as much on the topic as they need, because it's like a whole different class.

Dekion
2013-09-25, 02:49 PM
Maybe take a look at the Primeval PrC from Frostburn as a component, sounds kind of like it might fit into what you are looking for.

Zombulian
2013-09-25, 04:13 PM
I've thought about totemist, I'll look into that now. The character I played that died was a Barbarian, so I'd rather not play that this time around :P

Edit: Can totemist pick up oozemaster?

Totemist is definitely a great way to go for this. But I don't think they can get into Oozemaster without caster dips.

Waddacku
2013-09-25, 04:22 PM
It sounds to me like you want FIST OF THE FOREST.

It's just three levels, though, but still. It fits perfectly.

Rethmar
2013-09-25, 08:27 PM
I just made a character for this exact idea for my upcoming campaign.

I'm going Druid (Druidic Avenger variant) 6/ Fist of the Forest 3/ Warshaper 1/ Primeval 9 with a nerfed Feral template.

Good luck!

Melayl
2013-09-25, 10:31 PM
Is homebrew material on the table?

Theafroscotsman
2013-09-26, 07:01 AM
that's a negative on homebrew. Thanks for all the help guize, I haven't been playing for very long so I've just been looking for Ideas from all over the place