PDA

View Full Version : Combat Expertise Feats

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 09:55 AM
Ok folks so here is what I am looking for;

Feats that are activated by using combat expertise.

Like deadly defense from Complete scoundrel works when you are in total defense.

I want feats that "power up" when I use combat expertise to increase my armor.

I have one already from the AEG Feats book that for every round I combat expertise I drop my crit range by 1 to maximum of my BAB or my Int whichever is lower.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Fax Celestis
2013-09-25, 11:05 AM
Chink in the Armor (SaS) , Cobalt Expertise (MoI) , Combat Cloak Expert (PH2) , Combat Insight (CW) , Defensive Strike (CW) , Deft Strike (CAd) , Epic Combat Expertise (CW) , Improved Disarm (PH) , Improved Feint (PH) , Improved Overrun (SF) , Improved Trip (PH) , Improved Whirlwind Attack (EL) , Karmic Strike (CW) , Melee Evasion (PH2) , Quick Staff (CW) , Sand Snare (Sa) , Shield of Blades (PE) , Superior Expertise (DD) , Superior Expertise (FP) , Vicious Wound (SS) , Whirlwind Attack (PH) , Improved Combat Expertise (CW) , Deft Strike (Dr) , Sense Weakness (Dr) , Surprising Riposte (DrU) , Deceptive Dodge (DC) , Mighty are Fallen (DC) , Riposte (DC) , Single Blade Style (DC) , Spinning Defense (DC) , Inlindl School (DrU) , Steal And Strike (DrU) , Vae School (DrU)

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 11:07 AM
Those are all feats that have combat expertise as a requirement to take them however almost none of them give you anything for using combat expertise. Also I already looked at DnD tools ;) thanks though.

Greenish
2013-09-25, 11:08 AM
Off the top of my head, there's Deadly Defense from (I think) Complete Scoundrel, and Dancing with Shadows tactical feat from Races of Eberron.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-25, 11:09 AM
Those are all feats that have combat expertise as a requirement to take them however almost none of them give you anything for using combat expertise. Also I already looked at DnD tools ;) thanks though.

I know.

There really aren't many Leap-Attack-esque feats for Combat Expertise. It's kind of a shame.

EDIT: I think there's some in The Consolidated Book of Experimental Might, come to think of it.

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 11:14 AM
Only problem with deadly defense is I will be using a mercurial greatsword.

Nightraiderx
2013-09-25, 12:13 PM
maybe make it feycraft?
dancing in the shadows, if I remember it correctly is awesome for a follow up to power attacking. Also Robilair's Gambit, although not a prequisite, will work with combat expertise quite well. Usually combat expertise as a tactic goes really well with combat reflexes/robilar's gambit

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 12:22 PM
Only problem with dancing with shadows is I need to be human.

However Robilar's gambit looks quite nice. Would help me get lots of extra attacks so even with reducing my to hit I have more chances of landing a blow.

Ekul
2013-09-25, 12:29 PM
Only problem with dancing with shadows is I need to be human.

However Robilar's gambit looks quite nice. Would help me get lots of extra attacks so even with reducing my to hit I have more chances of landing a blow.

Karmic Strike is a better version of Rhoblar's Gambit that requires Dodge and Combat Expertise instead of 12 attack and combat reflexes.

In that it only decreases your AC by 4 instead of making your opponents gain +4 to attack AND damage.

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 12:35 PM
Karmic strike only works if they hit you. Robilar's gambit lets you hit them back every time they attack whether they hit or not.

DR27
2013-09-25, 12:39 PM
Karmic strike only works if they hit you. Robilar's gambit lets you hit them back every time they attack whether they hit or not.Why not have both, and pair with Stormguard Warrior? Either way though, a -4 to AC means that you pretty much are going to get hit.

Curmudgeon
2013-09-25, 01:01 PM
Riposte (Dragon Compendium, page 105): if you use Combat Expertise, the first opponent to attack and miss you for that round provokes an AoO

pilvento
2013-09-25, 01:52 PM
Dont use only feats, the broadword shortsword gives +2 AC in combat expertice (+1 AC post errata)

In magic item compendium you can also find 2 enhancements, one is defensive surge weapon, gives more AC in combat expertice.
I dont recall the name of the other enhancement but its an armor enhancement im sure of that.

If you go for the 1 handed route, Einhander gives permanent +2AC

I dont see a reason to go defensive using a 2handed sword. Go power attack, dead stuff cant hit you back.

Or you can...

1Power attack storm trooper AC for DMG
2Combat expertice AR for AC
3 ???
4 Profit

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 02:33 PM
Well I am not playing the two handed power attack fighter. I am playing something much more complex and thus fun for me.

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16095617#post16095617)

Here is the build.

pilvento
2013-09-25, 02:37 PM
Dat int focus... Go darning warrior, i beg you.

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 02:41 PM
huh? What is darning warrior?

DO you mean Daring Warrior as in the feat as in swashbuckler fighter?

That would change the progression a lot and I would have to use a weapon that works with weapon finesse. and I am not waiting 10 levels to get a feycrafted mercurial greatsword. I care about fluff and I care about every level since I will probably start out between 1st and 3rd level.

pilvento
2013-09-25, 02:50 PM
In races of the wild you can find an exotic weapon called courtblade i belive. its a 2handed 1d10 18/20 finnesable weapon.

I belive mercurial is 2d6 18/20 right? its not far from the fist weapon you intended to use, and you get more int focus going swash3/fighter X. you get the finnese bonus feat so you can focus more on dex and have more AC since you are playing a tactical defensive oportunist kinda of charater.

The combat expertice + int focus is my favourite tipe of build, and its really fun, but i allways prefered the Einhander route.

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 02:54 PM
mercurial greatsword is 2d8 x4 critical in the group I play with. Using the old sword and fist version.

pilvento
2013-09-25, 02:59 PM
Thats one big sword you have there... i preffer crit range over multiplier but thats just me, combats last 3 to 5 rounds. take that into acount for the patience feat.

tricktroller
2013-09-25, 03:02 PM
Not in the group I playw ith. There is a reason why I want this guy to have a big to hit and do lots of damage as well as have a huge crit range and multiplier.

When this guy hits at 6th level he should have a +31 to hit base then he will have a +21 to hit with +5 ac and +10 damage as well as a 19-20x 4 crit on 2d8 +8 normally.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-25, 03:18 PM
Karmic strike only works if they hit you. Robilar's gambit lets you hit them back every time they attack whether they hit or not.

Why not have both, and pair with Stormguard Warrior? Either way though, a -4 to AC means that you pretty much are going to get hit.

One trick I like using with Robilar's Gambit if I have mobility (because it is a pre-requisite most of the time) is going my merry way provoking AoO on purpose, the +4 AC you get from mobility off-sets the +4 the enemies gain, sure it is risky and works best with some sort of on hit healing (Wrathful healing weapon, or vampiric weapon power work best).

gorfnab
2013-09-25, 05:19 PM
Fighting Defensively Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178445)

Fighting Defensively build I came up with awhile ago with a number of feats/abilities based on Combat Expertise.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Carmendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious.

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2