PDA

View Full Version : Epic dispel

Melcar
2013-09-25, 10:21 AM
Hi...

A simple question: How do you actually block or hinder the effect of Epic Dispel Magic? Here I'm talking about when the dispel chack have been succesful.

Thanks

Psyren
2013-09-25, 10:26 AM
At the risk of repeating myself from your last thread, the Dispel Seed cannot be blocked by anything except having a ginormous caster level.

Melcar
2013-09-25, 10:28 AM
At the risk of repeating myself from your last thread, the Dispel Seed cannot be blocked by anything except having a ginormous caster level.

:smalleek:

Thanks... i guess!

tyckspoon
2013-09-25, 10:36 AM
I disagree- although you probably can't do much to stop effects from being Dispelled if you permit the Epic Dispel to be successfully targeted and cast upon you, it's still a spell. It still has to be successfully targeted and cast. And there are oh so many ways to screw with targeted spells.. grab a Ring of Spell-Battle or put a Maximized Spell Turning on yourself or carry around a Rod of Absorption with sufficient capacity. There are ways around those, but they'll work against the default case (the spell is directly targeted against you) and prevent ever reaching the step where a dispel check is rolled against your spells.

Deca4531
2013-09-25, 10:41 AM
how dose dispel interact with an anti magic field? I don't see and specific mention in either spell's description.

Psyren
2013-09-25, 10:45 AM
how dose dispel interact with an anti magic field? I don't see and specific mention in either spell's description.

It's in the general rules for epic spells:

"Antimagic field does not automatically suppress epic spells as it does standard spells. Instead, each time an epic spell is subject to an antimagic field, make a dispel check as a 20th-level caster (1d20 + 20). The epic spell has a DC of 11 + the epic spell’s spellcaster level. If the suppression check is successful, the epic spell is suppressed like any other spell. If the dispel check is unsuccessful, the epic spell functions normally."

Deca4531
2013-09-25, 10:52 AM
It's in the general rules for epic spells:

"Antimagic field does not automatically suppress epic spells as it does standard spells. Instead, each time an epic spell is subject to an antimagic field, make a dispel check as a 20th-level caster (1d20 + 20). The epic spell has a DC of 11 + the epic spell’s spellcaster level. If the suppression check is successful, the epic spell is suppressed like any other spell. If the dispel check is unsuccessful, the epic spell functions normally."

Is there no version of an epic anti-magic field? and is the field itself dispel-able?

Hammerpriest
2013-09-25, 10:54 AM
You could always research an epic AMF spell using independent research. Though, I'm sure it'd have to be a sufficiently high enough level spell to block other epic spells.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-25, 10:56 AM
Although this isn't at all what you're thinking of, there's an utterance from the Tome of Magic that can restore a dispelled spell.

Psyren
2013-09-25, 11:01 AM
Is there no version of an epic anti-magic field? and is the field itself dispel-able?

Dispel Seed explicitly gets everything. Even that, and that, and that.

And really, even a non-epic spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesDisjunction.htm) can take down AMF, so it's perfectly reasonable that an epic one could too.

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-25, 11:33 AM
Epic Dispel Magic still counts as a 10th level spell, right? If so the Chaos Mage class from the 3rd party book Quintessential Chaos Mage (3.5 version) or Encyclopedia Arcane- Chaos Magic (3.0 version) can counter it starting at level 8 by making a caster level check (1d20+Chaos mage level+WIS(3.5)or CHA(3.0)) at DC 20 (10+Spell level). So they could relatively easily.
But then again. It is a 3rd party class.

TuggyNE
2013-09-25, 08:40 PM
Epic Dispel Magic still counts as a 10th level spell, right?

For certain purposes, yes; not sure if this would be one of those.

Douglas
2013-09-25, 08:49 PM
Epic Dispel Magic still counts as a 10th level spell, right? If so the Chaos Mage class from the 3rd party book Quintessential Chaos Mage (3.5 version) or Encyclopedia Arcane- Chaos Magic (3.0 version) can counter it starting at level 8 by making a caster level check (1d20+Chaos mage level+WIS(3.5)or CHA(3.0)) at DC 20 (10+Spell level). So they could relatively easily.
But then again. It is a 3rd party class.
That check is far too easy to make if there are no other factors. Add the spell's caster level to the DC too (in addition to the spell level), and it would be much more balanced.

Doc_Maynot
2013-09-25, 10:08 PM
Like I said, 3rd party class. Probably wasn't prepared for epic spellcasting. None of us are, when you think about it. Still, is a way to dispel the epic dispel.

Max Caysey
2013-09-26, 10:26 AM
What if one simply made a spell that would give a very high bonus to casterlevel. Then the dispel would have a harder time succeeding...

Psyren
2013-09-26, 10:37 AM
What if one simply made a spell that would give a very high bonus to casterlevel. Then the dispel would have a harder time succeeding...

The problem is that the Dispel Seed's bonus is based on a skill check. Skill checks are much, much, much easier to increase than caster level.

Of course if you're homebrewing/using 3rd-party then all bets are off, you could even rewrite the dispel seed if you wanted at that point.

aeauseth
2013-09-26, 01:18 PM
What about an improved Ring of Counterspells (http://dndtools.eu/items/dungeon-masters-guide-v35--4/ring-counterspells--67/)? The basic model only accepts a 6th level spell, so Greater Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagicGreater.htm) for this particular topic.

I have no idea how to make an improved version of this ring that would accept an epic dispel magic.

I'm also unclear as to how counterspell works with Epic spells, since each Epic spell could potentially be slightly different. Although Epic Counterspell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/epicCounterspell.htm) would suggest it would be based solely on caster level. Perhaps you could put Surperb Dispelling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/superbDispelling.htm) into an improved Ring of Counterspells.