PDA

View Full Version : Death Knell

kirerellim
2013-09-25, 11:57 AM
Ok, was just looking over this spell and I gotta ask, am I missing something? Cause unless there is a general rule I missed, I don't see what kind of bonus it gives to strength and level, nor does it say it can only be used once.... So does that mean it stacks with itself?

Vin Robinson
2013-09-25, 12:02 PM
The bonuses are unnamed, so it would seem like it would stack with itself, but unfortunately it does not.

Bonuses from the same spell in D&D do not stack, but they do "overlap." So with a second casting of the spell, you would take the better bonus to use, keeping track of the durations separately. Also, temporary hp never stacks as well. I hope this helps.

kirerellim
2013-09-25, 12:05 PM
Ah got it, knew there had to be some general rule like that I was missing lol damn. I assume that applies to spell like abilities, etr as well?

Vin Robinson
2013-09-25, 12:12 PM
Yeah, it does apply to SLA's as well. It kind of takes the "oomph" out of the spell in my opinion, but I have still used it as some ****ed up **** for my big bad to use when he is introduced. Nothing is as creepy as an evil cleric sucking the life force out of someone.

kirerellim
2013-09-25, 12:17 PM
Yea, but I see why though I mean I was sitting here going Oh please stack oh please stack. I was gonna go rat hunting and just be like 'Mwahahha die all of you die!' and wade into combat with +12 to manfester level and +24 to strength...

Syrinth
2013-09-25, 01:08 PM
That would be the time to use Consumptive Field.

That spell is truly ridiculous :P

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-25, 02:18 PM
You know, it is a good buff spell. It is low enough level to possibly persist without DMM silliness and grants nice untyped bonuses. A high level cleric can do nicely with +2 strength and +1CL. There are better buffs, but it IS rather nice.

You would have to change the range though...

To persist it, catch a living 1/X HD creature like a bug or lizard and poke it to -1 HP at the start of your day. Then kill it with persisted DN to have the nice bonuses all day.