PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Stuff

userpay
2013-09-25, 01:32 PM
So I'm making a Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade//Racial Stuff/Dungeon Crasher/Hulking Hurler character. Now I've been searching and looking at different builds for this type of thing but what I've noticed is that suggestions for magic items tend to not come up nearly as often as the build itself. Primarily I'm looking for magic items that let me make stuff I wield/throw count as x for bypassing DR such as Ring of Adamantine Touch (MIC pg 121). I am however open to suggestions for other items as well.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-25, 01:43 PM
Hmmm... the Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane make them count as magic and silver for overcoming DR.

The (psionic) Bands of Extended Range doubles the range increment of any thrown weapon.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-25, 01:48 PM
You almost definitely want to put brutal surge on your weapons.

I would also recommend a brute ring, if you're dungeoncrashing. 2/day, bullrush a target within 30'.

I almost always buy counterstrike bracers.

John Longarrow
2013-09-25, 01:52 PM
IIRC there's a gauntlet or gloves that lets you make force javelines in Magic Item Compendium (Away from books right now) that sound right up your alley.

Toofey
2013-09-25, 01:53 PM
Depending on what your throwing weapon is, you may want to consider using a ring of readiness to recall it to your hand.

Deca4531
2013-09-25, 02:08 PM
i would recommend augment crystals, it keeps the price of your weapons down if your going to stack a few enchantments on them.

userpay
2013-09-25, 03:21 PM
Hmmm... the Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane make them count as magic and silver for overcoming DR.

The (psionic) Bands of Extended Range doubles the range increment of any thrown weapon.

Interesting, I tried searching for DR in the summary boxes towards the end of MIC yet Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane didn't come up. That's pretty much right up my alley since making what I throw count as magic was a major concern as I presume that tends to be one of the more common DRs. Thankfully it wouldn't cost to much extra to add the Gauntlets of Extended Range on top of that.

You almost definitely want to put brutal surge on your weapons.

I would also recommend a brute ring, if you're dungeoncrashing. 2/day, bullrush a target within 30'.

I almost always buy counterstrike bracers.

Ah yes I suppose I forgot to mention I'm taking Knockback so between that and Bloodstorm Blade all my attacks would pretty much bull rush on their own. That said Counterstrike Bracers aren't a bad idea for the turns that I'm not using my swift action to make my ranged attacks count as melee.

@Everyone else

Between Bloodstorm Blade (which makes all my weapons bounce back to me immediately), carrying around more than a few big rocks, and potentially throwing stuff in the environment (including my enemies) I'm not to worried about actual weapon enchantments. That said I will be taking something two handed though I haven't decided on what yet. Might just take a scythe for the imagery of tossing that and having it come back to me.

Actually that does bring up another thought to me. Due to Hulking Hurler's Really Throw Anything ability wouldn't that mean I can technically use Fling Ally/Enemy without actually having to take that feat? I do suppose that means I need to look into grappling items and whatnot as well.

John Longarrow
2013-09-25, 03:27 PM
If you are large enough, invest in Wagons.

They make great missile weapons, plus the image of a wagon bouncing off an orc and flying back to you would be pricesless!

Fax Celestis
2013-09-25, 03:35 PM
Ah yes I suppose I forgot to mention I'm taking Knockback so between that and Bloodstorm Blade all my attacks would pretty much bull rush on their own. That said Counterstrike Bracers aren't a bad idea for the turns that I'm not using my swift action to make my ranged attacks count as melee.

Since you're Bloodstorm Blading, you should also try to pick up Pushback.

Prerequisite: Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, STR 17
Benefit: When you are adjacent to an opponent of your size category or smaller and you hit that opponent with a melee attack, you may immediately make a special bull rush attempt against that opponent. If you succeed, you push the opponent back 5 feet (only) and move into the square (or one of the squares) previously occupied by that opponent. You choose whether the opponent moves one square straight back, one square diagonally back to the right, or one square diagonally back to the left. You can't push an opponent back through (or into) solid obstacles or otherwise occupied squares. If, after making the bull rush attempt, you would not be able to move into a square previously occupied by the opponent, you can't push that opponent back. This feat can be used once per round. The movement caused by the use of this feat does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Shining Wrath
2013-09-25, 03:41 PM
Augment crystals of Return will give you Quick Draw, Recall, and Return. In case the DM throws someone at you who can catch a thrown weapon, the crystals let you recover your weapons if they ever let go.

Bloodstone Blade capstone is awesome sauce if you have a weapon with good range.

userpay
2013-09-25, 03:48 PM
@John Longarrow
Ah yes hijinks... Originally the guy I'd be adventuring with was going to be something small so I could chuck him for hilarity. Unfortunately it sounds like he's going to play an old character of his.

@Fax Celestis
Hmm the problem with Pushback is you can't take advantage of Dungeoncrasher since it specifically states that you can't push enemies into solid objects. Plus Shock Trooper pretty much does the same thing.

@Shining Wrath
Come to think of it not entirely sure whether Lightning Ricochet works when the opponent catches a weapon (good luck to them catching a 1 ton boulder though). So true a crystal of return on my actual melee weapon might not be a bad idea.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-25, 03:52 PM
Hmm the problem with Pushback is you can't take advantage of Dungeoncrasher since it specifically states that you can't push enemies into solid objects. Plus Shock Trooper pretty much does the same thing.

Pushback is basically a free five feet of extra shove when you need it when coupled with Shock Trooper. There's no mutual-exclusion clause for Pushback and Shock Trooper.

userpay
2013-09-25, 04:19 PM
Pushback is basically a free five feet of extra shove when you need it when coupled with Shock Trooper. There's no mutual-exclusion clause for Pushback and Shock Trooper.

Hmmm... But can you combine it with Knockback? True you can combine it with Shock Trooper (maybe even push them straight left or right) but it seems to me that the bull rush from Pushback and the bull rush from Knockback would be two different kinds of bull rush. Or I suppose it would just be two bull rushes and I choose for Pushback to happen first before Knockback's. Either way my feats are chock full at the moment though its something to consider for one of my next feats... After Adaptive Style...