PDA

View Full Version : Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-27, 10:54 PM
Necrolock
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/compmage_gallery/100496.jpg
Malor Vedaness, a Necrolock

Necrolocks are masters of death because of thier abyssal heritage from the demon lord of undeath, Orcus. Necrolocks are often brooding, dark warriors of undeath striving for power and more corpses to fuel thier armies.
(If you have more or better flavor text, feel free to post it, but I want to keep the Orcus heritage)

HD: d6

Requirements
Alignment: any nongood
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks
Feats: Tomb-tainted soul
Invocations Known: The Dead Walk, Eldritch Blast +3d6

Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invoking
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|The Dead Walk longer |+1 level of existing invoking class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Dark Blast|+1 level of existing invoking class
3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Death's Minion|+1 level of existing invoking class
4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Greater Dark Blast|+1 level of existing invoking class
5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Substitute Onyx|--
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiency: Necrolocks gain proficiency with the scythe and no armor or shield proficiencies.

The Dead walk longer (Su): Necrolocks are masters of animating corpses. When using The Dead Walk invocation the animated corpses stay animated an extra number of minutes equal to thier Necrolock level. This only works when the appropriate material componants are not used; when they are they follow the normal rules.

Invoking: At each level except fifth, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with your eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Dark Blast (Su): Whenever you use your eldritch blast invocation you may opt to make the blast deal half it's full normal damage as negative energy. If using the blast to heal damage to the undead you may ignore the damage they would recieve and gain half full damage as negative energy healing.

Death's Minion (Ex): When a Necrolock reaches 3rd level they gain some of the powers of thier great ancestor, Orcus. You gain immunity to disease and poison and a +4 to all other fortitude saving throws unless it would also affect an object, such as a disintegrate spell.

Greater Dark Blast (Su): Your necromantic internal energies become more powerful and fire forth in deadly blasts. This functions just like Dark Blast except it also bestows a single negative level on those it strikes. This also heals the undead with the full eldritch blast damage and if they recieve more healing than they have hit points they gain the excess in temporary hitpoints. Multiple blasts do not stack when giving undead temporary hitpoints.

Substitute Onyx (Su): Necrolocks hit the peak of necromantic warlock prowess at 5th level. Whenever they use The Dead Walk invocation they can choose to ignore the material componants and give permenant duration to thier invocation. This overlaps and replaces The Dead Walk longer.

Winged One
2006-12-27, 11:21 PM
I suggest changing the single non-invocation gaining level to 5th rather than 1st, so that it's compensated for by Substitute Onyx, rather than The Dead Walk Longer.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-28, 04:20 AM
Sounds good, anyone else have anything to add?

Fizban
2006-12-28, 07:16 AM
I suggest changing Greater Dark Blast, it makes Utterdark Blast, something the Necrolock should be eagerly awaiting, a lot less special. Maybe let it apply one negative level as a minor version of Utterdark. The difference would be that this one has no save to prevent it. So the Necrolock has two options: blast for half negative energy+one guaranteed negative level, or get Utterdark Blast and blast for full negative energy and chance of two negative levels.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-28, 08:53 PM
I suggest changing Greater Dark Blast, it makes Utterdark Blast, something the Necrolock should be eagerly awaiting, a lot less special. Maybe let it apply one negative level as a minor version of Utterdark. The difference would be that this one has no save to prevent it. So the Necrolock has two options: blast for half negative energy+one guaranteed negative level, or get Utterdark Blast and blast for full negative energy and chance of two negative levels.
Hmm, interesting. Sounds good.

Maerok
2006-12-29, 07:41 PM
Cool. I'm a fan of econo-necromancy; Substitute Onyx would tempt me towards playing a warlock.

Edit: Not really a fan of Orcus as a necro-'god' though.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-29, 08:08 PM
Cool. I'm a fan of econo-necromancy; Substitute Onyx would tempt me towards playing a warlock.

Edit: Not really a fan of Orcus as a necro-'god' though.
Not much of a necro god, just a powerful demon with alot of affinity for undeath, no matter how much he hates it.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-01-04, 10:30 PM
So I have to worship and get my powers only from Orcus? What if there is no Orcus? Or Warlock are fey. Or the warlock already has background, and wants to get into this class? He can't, since a non-undeath almost-god dosen't give him powers?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-04, 10:51 PM
So I have to worship and get my powers only from Orcus? What if there is no Orcus? Or Warlock are fey. Or the warlock already has background, and wants to get into this class? He can't, since a non-undeath almost-god dosen't give him powers?
I never said you have to worship him. The flavor of the class that I made up was that you're descended from him. I like the thought of warlocks with demonic ancestry and besides, there are little necromantic fey I know of and Orcus seemed like the best choice for an undead oriented demon/warlock class.

But flavor can be changed, do it however you feel. I don't mind. :biggrin:

Duke of URL
2007-01-05, 08:28 AM
I never said you have to worship him. The flavor of the class that I made up was that you're descended from him. I like the thought of warlocks with demonic ancestry and besides, there are little necromantic fey I know of and Orcus seemed like the best choice for an undead oriented demon/warlock class.

But flavor can be changed, do it however you feel. I don't mind. :biggrin:

I thought Warlocks were the result of a compact with a devil, demon, or fey, not (necessarily) descended from one -- you can be a descendant of the person making the original compact instead of the person originally making the compact.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-05, 05:40 PM
I thought Warlocks were the result of a compact with a devil, demon, or fey, not (necessarily) descended from one -- you can be a descendant of the person making the original compact instead of the person originally making the compact.
As I said, change the flavor however you want. And I think you have the word pact a little mixed up. Compact is to make something smaller.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-05, 05:50 PM
Compact can be used that way correctly. It means "contract".

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-05, 06:03 PM
Compact can be used that way correctly. It means "contract".
Really? This I did not know.
My apologies.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-05, 06:57 PM
I believe pact is a more used version of the word these days.

Duke of URL
2007-02-07, 10:17 AM
Greater Dark Blast (Su): Your necromantic internal energies become more powerful and fire forth in deadly blasts. This functions just like Dark Blast except it also bestows a single negative level on those it strikes. This also heals the undead with the full eldritch blast damage and if they recieve more healing than they have hit points they gain the excess in temporary hitpoints.

This seems a bit overpowered, at least with regards to the temporary hit point gain. Unless there are limits placed on the usage of this ability/invocation, which would go against the general tenets of Warlocks, you could essentially give infinite hit points to your undead minions. Pair that with the 5th level ability to make the summoning permanent, and you have a Warlock with essentially an invincible army (Dismissal and Dispel are the only valid counters).

If you still want to give temporary HP, perhaps limit the max temporary HP to the sum of (or some multiple of the sum of) the character's Warlock and Necrolock levels.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-07, 03:26 PM
This seems a bit overpowered, at least with regards to the temporary hit point gain. Unless there are limits placed on the usage of this ability/invocation, which would go against the general tenets of Warlocks, you could essentially give infinite hit points to your undead minions. Pair that with the 5th level ability to make the summoning permanent, and you have a Warlock with essentially an invincible army (Dismissal and Dispel are the only valid counters).

If you still want to give temporary HP, perhaps limit the max temporary HP to the sum of (or some multiple of the sum of) the character's Warlock and Necrolock levels.
Hmm, I suppose I never thought of it. How about this, the temorary hitpoints have a very limited amount of time before they go away. Say, 3 rounds per necrolock level?