PDA

View Full Version : Reenactors in the Playgroud?

rs2excelsior
2013-09-25, 04:39 PM
So I was just curious if any playgrounders participate in any type of reenacting, living histories, SCA, etc., and if so what time periods?

Me personally, I am a Civil War reenactor. My dad has been in the unit in my hometown since well before I was born, and I grew up around it. I've participated in battles for the past few years (we're actually coming up on the fifth anniversary of my first fight). There are some guys in the unit who also do Revolutionary War or World War I, either of which I'd like to try (especially WWI).

So what about y'all?

Renegade Paladin
2013-09-25, 05:11 PM
Long time SCAdian here. I used to have a late Imperial Roman persona, but switched to tenth century Irish after losing my kit in a house fire because it wasn't the huge money sink of another lorica. Then I started fencing. Clearly didn't think that one through. :smallamused:

Erloas
2013-09-26, 02:54 PM
I've been in the SCA for about 14 years now. My persona is mid 14th century German.

Brother Oni
2013-09-26, 05:03 PM
Norman Times here (not a Saxon though), a long time ago.

Jay R
2013-09-30, 10:24 AM
I'm a long-term SCA member with an Elizabethan persona - a fencer, chivalric fighter, bard, and herald, mostly.

Dr.Epic
2013-09-30, 06:55 PM
Does reenacting count if I reenact that one time I ate a delicious cake? Because I reenact that a lot!:smallwink:

rs2excelsior
2013-09-30, 10:12 PM
So it seems like there are a lot of SCA members (or ex-members) here. How is medieval reenacting? It sound a bit painful...

(While there was some hand-to-hand combat in the Civil War, we generally don't do it, because it's WAY too easy for someone to get hurt. So when we close to that range, on the rare occasions it happens, we cross muskets only and it's over pretty quick).

Jay R
2013-09-30, 11:12 PM
So it seems like there are a lot of SCA members (or ex-members) here. How is medieval reenacting? It sound a bit painful...

Chivalric combat can be quite painful. I certainly collected my share of large bruises. (We simulate swords with rattan, which gives - slightly.) Fencing can be painful, but not as often or as intense. These are competitive physical activities. (They aren't choreographed fights; we are each trying to win.) They are like any other sport-like activity - extremely exciting, enjoyable, and entertaining, and somewhat painful at times.

By contrast, drinking period mead, performing sonnets, eating period feasts, and doing European courtly dances are quite pleasant.

Brother Oni
2013-10-01, 02:13 AM

I used to be part of the Regia Anglorum (http://regia.org/), where authenticity is more valued.

We're semi-contact and our weapons are blunt steel, so members undergo a fair bit of training with lots of emphasis on safety (limited target areas, weapon restrictions until you've passed certain handling tests, etc) and you're expected to pull your blows appropriately. If you're an idiot who uses a steel weapon like a nerf one, you're asked to leave.

Our armour attempts to be authentic as well, so a helmet, kite shield and mail over gambeson (padded leather jacket) is typical for a well armoured soldier. We do make a few concessions for safety and practicality here, such as everybody is required to wear vaguely authentic gloves (quite a few of us add a mail backing) and we tend to use butted mail rather than link mail simply because it's easier and cheaper to make and looks almost as good.

As an dirt poor unarmoured spear wielding peasant, about the worst I got were a couple bruises (I got injured more in martial arts training sessions especially during conditioning) and our worst injury I remember was a severe case of heat exhaustion.

I'm not denying that there are probably idiots in the organisation but they tend to get weeded out. As noted, we're more focused on the history aspect rather than actual fighting techniques, so if you're looking to learn western martial arts, you'll have to go elsewhere.

There are other full contact organisations, but they're all from much later periods than mine, (not to mention the vast majority of them appear to be Russian or German), with much higher and more stringent armour requirements (full plate or near enough and I think someone on this board mentioned that there must not be a gap big enough to fit a 1/2" steel rod through).

Killer Angel
2013-10-01, 10:52 AM
Me personally, I am a Civil War reenactor. My dad has been in the unit in my hometown since well before I was born, and I grew up around it. I've participated in battles for the past few years (we're actually coming up on the fifth anniversary of my first fight).

I deeply envy you. :smallwink:
That said, a friend of mine is into an early renaissance period, full armor and all the stuff.

rs2excelsior
2013-10-01, 04:21 PM
Oh, Killer Angel, I've been meaning to ask. Is your username a reference to the book? I assume it is, given that it seems to be an OOTS-style "angelic" Lew Armistead...

Killer Angel
2013-10-02, 07:10 AM
Oh, Killer Angel, I've been meaning to ask. Is your username a reference to the book? I assume it is, given that it seems to be an OOTS-style "angelic" Lew Armistead...

Indeed it is. :smallwink:
I arrived to the book, passing through the movie Gettisburg, and man, Armistead is epic.
The only thing i can add, is that my honeymoon consisted in a great trip across USA (thanks to some american cousins' help), and I visited also Gettysburg.... (my wife is tolerant and she loves me :smalltongue:).

rs2excelsior
2013-10-02, 07:50 AM
Indeed it is. :smallwink:
I arrived to the book, passing through the movie Gettisburg, and man, Armistead is epic.
The only thing i can add, is that my honeymoon consisted in a great trip across USA (thanks to some american cousins' help), and I visited also Gettysburg.... (my wife is tolerant and she loves me :smalltongue:).

I had an ancestor with Armistead's brigade at the battle of Gettysburg. And when I went there to fight in the 150th anniversary reenactment, in the Pickett's Charge scenario, we fought as Armistead's brigade.

Killer Angel
2013-10-02, 01:15 PM
I had an ancestor with Armistead's brigade at the battle of Gettysburg. And when I went there to fight in the 150th anniversary reenactment, in the Pickett's Charge scenario, we fought as Armistead's brigade.

That's totally cool. Did you ancestor made it?
Now, I'm starting to think to make a thread about "valiant ancestors in the playground". In case, I'll let you know! :smallwink:

In the meanwhile, here's a musical gift (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYl4RliDtI)(unless you're into metal, in that case you already know).

Karoht
2013-10-02, 01:27 PM
I was in a group that did medieval combat demos. We were nothing like the SCA, only recently has the group essentially become an SCA group. No offence should be taken by anyone in the SCA, but that is why I left the group. The differences were what made us interesting.

I portrayed Sir William Marshall, a very cool fellow who really doesn't get much press these days. Look him up on wiki, if you really want to see what a Knight once was.

Killer Angel
2013-10-02, 02:57 PM
A request to the reenactors:
POST SOME PICS!!! :smallsmile:

rs2excelsior
2013-10-02, 04:20 PM
That's totally cool. Did you ancestor made it?

Captured, I believe.

Killer Angel
2013-10-03, 06:16 AM
Now, I'm starting to think to make a thread about "valiant ancestors in the playground". In case, I'll let you know! :smallwink:

Done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307000)!

rs2excelsior, you know your duty. :smallwink: