PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Dips [3.5]

Zero grim
2013-09-25, 04:42 PM
A simple question, after reading up the warlocks handbook I was thinking myself a simple warlock with a couple levels of chameleon thrown in (exactly two levels to be precise) I was also considering picking up a skill heave character for my first level, something like rogue or Factotum (factotum plus able learner=happy times?) I'm just looking for advice from the playground and any experiences people have with anything similar.

nedz
2013-09-25, 05:11 PM
Warlock 10 / Chameleon 2 is a well known build

Chronos
2013-09-25, 05:50 PM
The biggest advantage to Warlock 10/Chameleon 2 is that, between the Warlock's Deceive Item ability and the Chameleon's floating feat, you can craft almost any magic item. Though, of course, there are plenty of other uses, too (for instance, if you decide you need a particular invocation today, you can use Extra Invocation to get it).

Socratov
2013-09-25, 05:58 PM
Ehm, if you want to do some funny stuff, remember you don't actually need ability scores to function as a warlock. So with that as given, invest all points into Intelligence and Charisma and you'll have all the skillpoints you ever need (and a bonus to other skills you want).

Then build into Warlock 12/chameleon 2/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Warlock 2.

So what do you do now?

1: Warlock 12 to get Imbue Item -> pump UMD into obscenity for getting crafting requisite spells
2: Chameleon 2 to get floating feat to switch around crafting feats
3: Binder for Naberius mitigating con damage, edit out if strongheart vest trick available
4: Hellfire warlock 2 to supercharge said magic items with free metamagic*
5: ???
6: profit.

* empower, enlarge, widen, or energy substitution

Q&A

1: But Socratov you charismatic stallion, you only mentioned 2 levels of Hellfire warlock, why not leave 1 and get another warlock level?

Well, apart from some bad passive abilities HFW gives everything warlock gives (EB, invocations) what you need, plus some interesting abilities (Hellfire dice, special hellfire ability). Level 3 provides a reason for enemies to not attack you specifically (can you say free EB AoO?).

2: But Socratov you prince among men, did Hellfire use not get punished witha hit to con?

For blasts you are absolutely correct, however, when it comes to supercharging your items, it's completely free, you can only do this up toa maximum of your CHA mod. So increase to liberty. Also the side effect is that you can force some funny saves as a warlock with lots of Cha.

3: But Socratov you dirty old cheesemonger, don'tyou know that Strongheart vest or Naberius binding is clearly against game design and thus BadWrongFun (R)(TM)(C) this is horrible cheese.

Well, talking about cheese, I kind of thing this rates as Dutch Gouda: creamy texture, sharp notes, but little to no scent, kind of like a stormtrooper barbarian with lion totem. Yes, it's not pure vanilla ice cream, but it's more like mint with chocolate chips. Personally I find this 'cheese' as you put it acceptable and not game breaking at all. But opinions may differ

Disclaimer: any and all greetings have been thought of, copied by and devised by figments of my imagination.

Waker
2013-09-25, 06:18 PM
Factotum is good for the access to all class skills. It is a shame not seeing it all the way to 3rd level though.

Bard with Bardic Knack is useful to be treated as proficient in a bunch of rarely used skills. Plus a few extra spells and performances never hurt.

Rogue nets a lot of skill points, some SA dice and some other small stuff.

Incarnate doesn't get many skills directly, but the flexibility of melds gives you a lot of options to do just about anything.

nedz
2013-09-25, 08:38 PM
Ehm, if you want to do some funny stuff, remember you don't actually need ability scores to function as a warlock. So with that as given, invest all points into Intelligence and Charisma and you'll have all the skillpoints you ever need (and a bonus to other skills you want).

Well Con is useful for not dying and Dex helps you hit things and avoid being hit; so I wouldn't dump these. With Int it's usually worth working out how many skill points you actually need. Cha is also good for invocation DCs, if they are relevant for your choices.

Crake
2013-09-25, 08:46 PM
The biggest advantage to Warlock 10/Chameleon 2 is that, between the Warlock's Deceive Item ability and the Chameleon's floating feat, you can craft almost any magic item. Though, of course, there are plenty of other uses, too (for instance, if you decide you need a particular invocation today, you can use Extra Invocation to get it).

Warlock needs Imbue Item at level 12 to craft anything, not Deceive Item, that just lets you take 10 on UMD checks, Imbue Item lets you use a UMD check to mimic any spell necessary for crafting. So you'd need warlock 12/chameleon 2

Chronos
2013-09-25, 09:38 PM
Yeah, my bad, that's what I get for not double-checking.

Grayson01
2013-09-27, 06:15 AM
Can someone let me know what book hellfire Warlock is in, I have used it in NWN2 but never seen the real PrC?

nedz
2013-09-27, 06:20 AM
Yeah, my bad, that's what I get for not double-checking.

Yes, me too :smallredface:
But if you check you get Ninja'd:smallbiggrin:

Dessembrae
2013-09-27, 06:25 AM
Can someone let me know what book hellfire Warlock is in, I have used it in NWN2 but never seen the real PrC?

It's in Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells.