PDA

View Full Version : [Gift] A Gift For a Promising Youth, love Mom & Dad

Lysander
2006-12-28, 01:02 AM
The world is a confusing and dangerous place! You do you best to make sure your little one eats their vegetables, goes to the best schools, and finds a comely spouse from a respectable family posting a fair dowry. But even the most doting parent can't be there all the time. Why, just the other day...you know the Shawnsons from down the lane...I hear their Timothy got in a brawl down at the half-orc bar in the shipping district. A lad of 12 and he's already sentenced to 15 lashes! And I know his parents. Good upstanding people. Made him practice the lute three hours a day, for all the good it did. So when when my mine came of age I decided not to let the world undo all the character building I'd enforced...I got them a Gift. What's that? You don't know what it is?

Doesn't look like much, just a plain ring of metal. They're selling them down in the Wizard's Quarter for a hefty price, several hundred gold, but well worth it. I got a nice gold one with the family name engraved on it, I plan on it being an heirloom, but they had some plainer, some fancier. What's special about it though is that they bind some kindly spook to the ring who's willing to give up floating around with a harp to give a proper upbringing to your child. I picked the spirit out myself, used to be a school Headmaster 200 years ago, but I could have picked from a wide variety of shades. They had a long list of ghosts eager to get back in the material plane, everyone from a strict drill sergeant, to a hardworking truancy officer, to the most prim librarian.

So your child puts on the ring and from then on they can hear that ghost in their head. So let's say Timothy had one and got dared to order a pint at the half-orc bar. Before he could rush off like a fool that ghost would say "I don't think that's a good idea lad. Perhaps you should do some homework instead." And if Timothy said "Stuff you, ya bloody ghost" well, he'd find his limbs unresponsive and that ghost would make him walk back to his room and open up a history book!

Hmm? Oh, it's working very well for my boy. Sure he complains sometimes 'Father, I hardly see my friends anymore!', 'It makes me wake at 7am to do calisthenics', 'It won't let me buy ice cream, I have to eat vitamins", "I want to be a bard but it's making me study tomes on accounting", "It won't let me ask so-and-so girl I like out because her family isn't wealthy", but all that yapping is music to my ears. One pricey ring and you have a hard-working responsible child for life! Well, until he grows up and doesn't need the mindful presence anymore. Then he can pass it on to his children.

What if they take it off? You'd think a keen spirit like that would let them? That's part of the reason I bought one in gold, it won't even tarnish in the bath. So friend, you should certainly get one for your son and daughter. You won't regret it. And your kids will thank you for it someday. I'm even considering buying one for the missus...

Kesnit
2006-12-28, 02:32 PM
An amusing idea, but Evil. Very, very Evil. :smallbiggrin:

That said, what is required to Craft this ring? (Other than Evil alignment. :smallbiggrin: ) How much does it cost to buy/craft?

Lysander
2006-12-28, 07:16 PM
Craft Wonderous Item, Lesser Geas, Contact Other Plane, 1,000 GP?