PDA

View Full Version : Miron is a?

halfeye
2013-09-26, 07:43 AM
Mindflayer?
There could easily be a D&D reason why not, I don't understand D&D, but otherwise why else does he always miss-wear a scarf?

Kish
2013-09-26, 07:53 AM
Yes, Miron is a questionmark.

Roland Itiative
2013-09-26, 07:55 AM
Mindflayers are copyrighted, Rich can't use them for anything other than parody. Miron is not really parody material.

Shred-Bot
2013-09-26, 07:59 AM
Mindflayer?
There could easily be a D&D reason why not, I don't understand D&D, but otherwise why else does he always miss-wear a scarf?

Fashion? From what we've seen of Tarkie's team, Miron is clearly the most fashionable.

Bad breath? He could be wearing that thing at the behest, nay, demand of his teammates. Halitosis is not a welcom addition to any party.

Or maybe he's somehow cold in the desert.

Trillium
2013-09-26, 08:05 AM
Someone mentioned some mutant insect-calling caster class from BoVD in comments once. He may be it.

Or he may just wear a scarf.

Or he may be a "squidhead thingy" ("mindflayer" is copyrighted by WotC, "squidhead thingies" are not).

Kish
2013-09-26, 08:10 AM
They're just so comfortable, he's sure everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 08:12 AM
Fashion? From what we've seen of Tarkie's team, Miron is clearly the most fashionable.

Bad breath? He could be wearing that thing at the behest, nay, demand of his teammates. Halitosis is not a welcom addition to any party.

Or... you know... sand.

urkthegurk
2013-09-26, 08:15 AM
Mindflayer?

I think its his own personal take on the 'mysterious stranger/ninja' costume thing. Makes sense if he's a warlock, but maybe he just enjoys speaking with his voice muffled, and also not eating sand blown into his mouth. I also assumed he's from Azure City, but that's just cuz he's wearing all blue...

johnbragg
2013-09-26, 08:16 AM
Mindflayer?

1. It looks badass?

2. +2 munchkin penalty to anyone making a Spellcraft check to see what he's casting?

3. Not-entirely-humanoid bloodline, giving him a forked tongue/fangs?

4. There are only so many ways to draw stick figures and make them unique and distinctive?

Trillium
2013-09-26, 08:18 AM
I think its his own personal take on the 'mysterious stranger/ninja' costume thing. Makes sense if he's a warlock, but maybe he just enjoys speaking with his voice muffled, and also not eating sand blown into his mouth. I also assumed he's from Azure City, but that's just cuz he's wearing all blue...

He was also shown in different colours.

He's wearing blue, because it is also the color of the Weepies' empire.

Shale
2013-09-26, 08:20 AM
Surely the scarf can't be that much less comfortable than walking around in a full suit of armor.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-09-26, 08:22 AM
It's a scarf adapted into half a balaclava. It's to keep sand out of his mouth and a partial sense of anonymity.

Alternatively, Tarquin ripped his jaw off in a battle to determine who was party leader back when they were initially engaging in their plan. This whole continent is a pile of Star Wars references, why not go for an obscure one?

nocker
2013-09-26, 08:26 AM
Mindflayers are copyrighted, Rich can't use them for anything other than parody. Miron is not really parody material.
No matter what WotC may want you to believe, Mindflayers are deep-ones from the Cthulhu Mythos with the barest of the make-ups. People can and use octopoid-headed overlords in their stories and call them Mind Tyrants or whatever and WotC can't touch that. :P

Trillium
2013-09-26, 08:32 AM
No matter what WotC may want you to believe, Mindflayers are deep-ones from the Cthulhu Mythos with the barest of the make-ups. People can and use octopoid-headed overlords in their stories and call them Mind Tyrants or whatever and WotC can't touch that. :P

Except the fact that deep ones are fish-people, not octopus-heads. You are thinking star-spawn.

nocker
2013-09-26, 08:37 AM
Except the fact that deep ones are fish-people, not octopus-heads. You are thinking star-spawn.
Yes, that. Sorry.

davidbofinger
2013-09-26, 08:47 AM
He wears a scarf to conceal that he isn't human, has two hearts, and can travel through time in a blue police box.

SavageWombat
2013-09-26, 08:51 AM
He's Chamber from one of those X-Men spinoff books.

F.Harr
2013-09-26, 08:55 AM
They're just so comfortable, he's sure everyone will be wearing them in the future.

Ha!

1. It looks badass?

2. +2 munchkin penalty to anyone making a Spellcraft check to see what he's casting?

3. Not-entirely-humanoid bloodline, giving him a forked tongue/fangs?

4. There are only so many ways to draw stick figures and make them unique and distinctive?

4. Deffinately 4.

It's a scarf adapted into half a balaclava. It's to keep sand out of his mouth and a partial sense of anonymity.

Alternatively, Tarquin ripped his jaw off in a battle to determine who was party leader back when they were initially engaging in their plan. This whole continent is a pile of Star Wars references, why not go for an obscure one?

Well, it does give him one HELL of a disguise. Take off the scarf and put on a wig and you're good to go

He wears a scarf to conceal that he isn't human, has two hearts, and can travel through time in a blue police box.

And not space, too? Possibly needs the transmission re-aligned. And I don't get "blue" from his scarf, even if it IS blue. I think his police box is more likely red.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 09:03 AM
He's Chamber from one of those X-Men spinoff books.

Tarquin already has a psion though :smalltongue:

EDIT: I wonder how old Miron is. He's got bags under his eyes. Does that rule out druid?

nocker
2013-09-26, 09:55 AM
The thing that confuses me about Miron is that his casting doesn't seem to be INT or CHA based: So far in OotS, it has been really easy to spot Intelligent or Charismatic people, because the Intelligent ones are consistently depicted as intellectuals that love big words and the charismatic people are spotlight stealers (see: Tarquin, Xykon, Elan).

Miron is nothing like that. He doesn't have a strong presence and bidets for him are splashy butt-washing things. Maybe he's some kind of wisdom based caster?

Mammal
2013-09-26, 10:10 AM
The thing that confuses me about Miron is that his casting doesn't seem to be INT or CHA based: So far in OotS, it has been really easy to spot Intelligent or Charismatic people, because the Intelligent ones are consistently depicted as intellectuals that love big words and the charismatic people are spotlight stealers (see: Tarquin, Xykon, Elan).

Roy has a high INT, but doesn't use large words for the sake of using them. All of the Paladins (except O-Chul, apparently) have high CHA, and you'd hardly call them spotlight stealers.

My first guess is sorcerer. My second guess is "it doesn't matter, he's an incredibly minor character."

Shale
2013-09-26, 10:14 AM
On the GITP boards, there are no minor characters. Any named NPC will, within four strips of their introduction, be presumed to be (1) One of the "nine sides;" (2) Redcloak's niece; and (3) The subject of the next prequel book.

Predictions that the character in question will unseat Xykon and Redcloak to become the real Big Bad are optional, but encouraged.

Kish
2013-09-26, 10:21 AM
the charismatic people are spotlight stealers (see: Tarquin, Xykon, Elan).
I notice you don't mention Girard. This gives me hope that you concur with me that Girard comes across as a used car salesman, but if you do, I'm afraid it rather refutes your point; he was an epic sorcerer.

Roland Itiative
2013-09-26, 10:24 AM
On the GITP boards, there are no minor characters. Any named NPC will, within four strips of their introduction, be presumed to be (1) One of the "nine sides;" (2) Redcloak's niece; and (3) The subject of the next prequel book.
Any named NPC? Nah, they don't need to have a name.

Still waiting for That Guy With A Halberd's prequel book. He may tag along with Spoiler Soldier.

nocker
2013-09-26, 10:24 AM
Roy has a high INT, but doesn't use large words for the sake of using them. All of the Paladins (except O-Chul, apparently) have high CHA, and you'd hardly call them spotlight stealers.

My first guess is sorcerer. My second guess is "it doesn't matter, he's an incredibly minor character."

Just because you're a paladin, it doesn't follow you're an optimized Paladin (see Belkar, the Ranger with a Wisdom penalty). Miko was a spotlight stealer, but it was due to her kicking ass and taking names attitude, not charisma. Hinjo is a charismatic guy. Every other named Paladin shown so far are not. And while Roy isn't loquacious like V, he's well spoken and knows the proper names for things.

I don't have any good guess about what Miron is. Maybe a future strip can answer that. Or maybe not. (your second guess is very good)

nocker
2013-09-26, 10:29 AM
I notice you don't mention Girard. This gives me hope that you concur with me that Girard comes across as a used car salesman, but if you do, I'm afraid it rather refutes your point; he was an epic sorcerer.
Girard was never under the spotlight in a non-flashback sequence so that we could see his Charisma in action. But his recorded image on the false location trap showed him as a "typical" high charisma guy for this strip's standards. You have to agree that it was some quality scenery chewing monologue.

War-Wren
2013-09-26, 10:41 AM
He's actually the current weilder of the Soul Reaver and he's covering up his missing lower jaw, where he draws in the souls of his recently destroyed enemies!

Now that took me back a bit... :smallwink:

Spoomeister
2013-09-26, 11:20 AM
...character who is easier to draw because it's one less mouth to draw.

Mammal
2013-09-26, 11:46 AM

Predictions that the character in question will unseat Xykon and Redcloak to become the real Big Bad are optional, but encouraged.

In honor of this post, I propose that Miron is all of the above.

And a bard. Because why not?

Reathin
2013-09-26, 01:07 PM
Miron is a?

Stylish fellow who wears a scarf because why not. I mean, sure it keeps sand out of his face, but I'm of the opinion that stuff like this is over thinking things (this coming from a fan of overthinking, mind!). When you're a high level adventurer, particularly a caster, quirks are expected.

But if we're going to come up with theories, I propose it's actually a massive doily. Back in the early parts of the strip when V figured out the immense arcane might of the humble doily, Miron was scrying on her because that's what villains do. So he took a bunch of doilies and used them to construct a greater doily. Being too large to easily carry around, he wrapped it around his head so as to never be deprived of the godlike power it confers upon him.

Knight.Anon
2013-09-26, 01:09 PM
It could be that the scarf is an extremely powerful magic item, so powerful that he probably showers wearing it.

I'd guess that he is a Sorc Arcane Trickster but I'm guessing that because he is a spell-caster that looks like a rogue, and talks like his INT stat isn't a priority.

halfeye
2013-09-26, 01:49 PM
Stylish fellow who wears a scarf because why not. I mean, sure it keeps sand out of his face, but I'm of the opinion that stuff like this is over thinking things (this coming from a fan of overthinking, mind!). When you're a high level adventurer, particularly a caster, quirks are expected.

But if we're going to come up with theories, I propose it's actually a massive doily. Back in the early parts of the strip when V figured out the immense arcane might of the humble doily, Miron was scrying on her because that's what villains do. So he took a bunch of doilies and used them to construct a greater doily. Being too large to easily carry around, he wrapped it around his head so as to never be deprived of the godlike power it confers upon him.

I like this explanation, it's daft enough that it might come true.

It could be that the scarf is an extremely powerful magic item, so powerful that he probably showers wearing it.
He wears several by their colours, so if it is a magic item changing colour has to be one of its functions.

hamishspence
2013-09-26, 01:58 PM
There's a 7th level arcane spell that uses a scarf as a focus component.

It's called Decapitating Scarf- and does exactly what you'd expect- you throw the scarf at someone and it chops their head off.

It is, however, restricted to one class- the wu jen from Oriental Adventures and later Complete Arcane.

Still, The Giant has used Complete Arcane content before- a warlock makes a passing appearance earlier in the bar brawl scene.

In practice I suspect it may just be a fashion choice.

Oko and Qailee
2013-09-26, 02:05 PM

Actually, by word of Giant, Girard wasn't an Epic Sorcerer
Ok, thats my minor nitpick

hamishspence
2013-09-26, 02:08 PM
He didn't have the Epic Spellcasting feat:

I don't see Girard as having taken the Epic Spellcasting feat, simply because that was more Dorukan's shtick. And as a multi-class ranger/sorcerer, he would have gotten access to it later and he's not really the type to spend all his time studying (when he could be out "recruiting" his defensive team). But I don't think it's necessary for it to be explicitly Epic to be "really powerful." We're getting to the point where the difference between the high-level OOTS and the low-epic Order of the Scribble is mostly one of degrees anyway.
however, it's quite possible that besides being a "low-epic" character, he might have 21 rather than 20 levels in Sorcerer (and an unknown number of levels in Ranger) making him an "epic sorcerer" in the general sense.

Kish
2013-09-26, 02:20 PM
Actually, by word of Giant, Girard wasn't an Epic Sorcerer
Ok, thats my minor nitpick
That's Telephone Game. By word of Giant, he never took the Epic Spellcasting feat, because it was Dorukan's schtick and he "got access to it later." That's not at all the same as not being an epic sorcerer.

hamishspence
2013-09-26, 02:26 PM
Interestingly, it's possible to have Epic Spellcasting without being an "epic wizard" - at least, without taking 21 levels of wizard.

17 levels, a few levels of something else, and maxing out skill ranks in Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft will eventually do it.

Or, for a sorcerer, 18 levels, and a few levels of something else.

Girard could in theory be a character with 18 levels of wizard, 6 or so levels of ranger, and have qualified for Epic Spellcasting but chosen not to take it.

Thus- he could be "An epic character but not an epic sorcerer".

It really depends which you think is more likely.

F.Harr
2013-09-26, 02:35 PM

Wait, Scarf-guy is Right-Eye's NIECE! That makes so much SENCE It's so clear to me now! Thanks!

;)

EmperorSarda
2013-09-26, 02:41 PM
Miron is just a bored Pun-Pun.

Ermete
2013-09-27, 10:00 AM
I think that whatever class he has (or whatever monster he is) we might very well find it in the Dark Sun campaign setting (I'm thinking of the previous edition, of course)

:smallsmile:

NihhusHuotAliro
2013-09-27, 12:22 PM
Miron is, in fact, a question mark.

martianmister
2013-09-27, 06:55 PM
He's a relative of Haley.

angry_bear
2013-09-27, 07:15 PM
Clearly he's Miko's long lost father, the way he's focused on wealth is the exact same way she was with honour and stuff. The reason he wears the scarf is to hide the fact from Mr Scruffy because the cat would immediately see that he and Miko have the same chin. The reason he hides the fact is that, had Tarquin known sooner, he'd have killed Miron for usurping his role as primary antagonist. Because let's face it, a paladin is a much more apropos protagonist in Tarquin's dream scenario than a bard is.

Or maybe he just likes wearing a scarf... But that's just silly right?

I am curious about what kind of caster he is though. I'm guessing some kind of secondary caster with melee ability that wouldn't need a super high charisma or intelligence, just moderately above average.

CletusMusashi
2013-09-27, 09:48 PM
I had a whole post started about him being born without a nose.

First it was going to have Elan and Belkar talking about the big reveal:
Elan: "But how does he smell?"
Belkar: "Awful."

Then I started thinking of all the puns Elan could use use fighting Team Tarquin:
"I guess it's not true that Father NOSE best!" and so forth...

but then I remembered the police sketch artist in Cliffport. According to thatstrip, oots charactersdo not normally have noses. Unless we consider that strip to be apocryphal, since it also includes a punch line about web comics.

If the other characters actually DO have noses, then I say Miron doesn't.

Alternately, if the other characters do not... maybe he's embarassed about being born with a strange bump between his eyes and mouth.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-09-27, 10:42 PM
Mindflayer?

He might be a human concealing an injury or deformity, rather than concealing being inhuman.

MtlGuy
2013-09-27, 11:34 PM

Keeps the sand and dust out of his respiratory system

Forikroder
2013-09-27, 11:40 PM
There's a 7th level arcane spell that uses a scarf as a focus component.

It's called Decapitating Scarf- and does exactly what you'd expect- you throw the scarf at someone and it chops their head off.

It is, however, restricted to one class- the wu jen from Oriental Adventures and later Complete Arcane.

Still, The Giant has used Complete Arcane content before- a warlock makes a passing appearance earlier in the bar brawl scene.

In practice I suspect it may just be a fashion choice.

i dunno that spells seems a bit obscure for him to be defending against it so thoroughly

the only correct answer is that Miron is obviously Kakashi, he jsut shaved his head the world inside must be Naruto-verse and the 5 kages each sent an operative to take control of the area around a rift to ensure noone can invade them (incidently that makes Jirix a ninja too)

hamishspence
2013-09-28, 03:15 AM
i dunno that spells seems a bit obscure for him to be defending against it so thoroughly

No- the scarf would be the focus which he himself casts the spell with, being a wu jen in this hypothesis.

ti'esar
2013-09-28, 03:51 AM
The most interesting thing I've taken away from this thread is the idea that Rich is intentionally writing high-CHA characters as hams.

Onyavar
2013-09-28, 04:13 AM
The simulacrum theory was nice. Just too bad that the Giant cut it short with no reason. It would have been fun to have a heated argument about simulacrums and Geoffs role in the story. :smallcool:

BroomGuys
2013-09-28, 02:01 PM
Guys, guys. Miron is the last surviving member of the Holey Brotherhood. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) Think about it; it explains everything.

SavageWombat
2013-09-28, 06:59 PM
No, the scarf has to protect him from the tears of the Weepies. So he must be allergic to salt water.

So he's a Newcomer.

Roland Itiative
2013-09-28, 08:05 PM
Guys, guys. Miron is the last surviving member of the Holey Brotherhood. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) Think about it; it explains everything.

Why would he seal his face holes with a scarf, then? :smalltongue:

Forikroder
2013-09-28, 11:43 PM

dont be ridiculous, hes Baron Pineapple he faked his death

Bulldog Psion
2013-09-30, 12:22 AM
His garments suggest that he has something of the fashion ideas of a Touareg tribesman.

Lombard
2013-09-30, 01:45 AM
Dude with lots of allergies?

Vampire?

Germaphobe?

martianmister
2013-09-30, 08:56 AM
Dude with lots of allergies?

Vampire?

Germaphobe?

Shy?

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/803/f5bb.png "EEK!"

F.Harr
2013-09-30, 09:43 AM
I like "shy". Almost as much as "easy disguise".

Darth V.
2013-09-30, 04:23 PM
No one cared who he was before he put on the scarf!

Mike Havran
2013-09-30, 04:56 PM
He has his favourite gold coin hidden in the scarf so he can kiss it anytime he wants without looking funny.