PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a pro wrestler.

Deca4531
2013-09-26, 07:46 AM
so i have a character concept, I know its nothing optimized but I thought it would be fun to play from an RP perspective. a pure grapple / wrestling build. I have done some looking around and found some good components but im not sure whats good and whats junk.

To start off his name is Victor Zangief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zangief) (I like theme characters) I wanted to use Prc Reaping Mauler (http://dndtools.eu/classes/reaping-mauler/) and I was thinking of Monk as a base class so I wouldn't have to wear armor (I want his outfit to consist of only a speedo and maybe a mask and cape) but I have also considered fighter so I could use things like

Devilhusk: 3d8+1&1/2 str on grapple (boed p112) 33,165g
or
Razor Armor: 2d6 dmg on grapple (bovd 111) 5,600g

Below is a list of things I have compiled for the build but not sure what I should use with it.

Feats:

earths embrace:(str15, imp grapple, imp unarm strk) 1d12 to pined target (cwar 97)

improved grapple:(dex13, imp unarm strk) +4 grapple, no AoO (phb 95)

combat stability:(Combat Focus, WIS 13, base attack bonus +3,)You gain a +4 bonus on checks or rolls to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip attempts made against you. If you have three or more combat form feats, the bonus granted by this feat increases to +8.(phb2 87)

improved unarmed strike: considered armed with fists (phb 90)

stunning fist:(dex13, wis13, imp umarm strk, bab8) (phb 90)

fist of iron:(imp umarm, stun fist, bab2) 1d6 rather than sunning fist (cwar 97)

daredevil athlete: +5 Easc artist check 3/day (cadv 77)

Clever Wrestling: When your opponent is larger than Mediumsize, you gain a circumstance bonus on your grapple check to escape a grapple or pin. The size of the bonus depends on your opponent's size (Cwar)

Stone Monkey(Wisdom 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist)When Grappling, you gain the new Grapple Option of partially disabling an opponent’s arm or leg. On a successful check, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC is Wisdom-based) to avoid receiving a –2 penalties on all rolls & checks using the targeted limb for 1d6+1 rounds. If the limb is also used for movement (legs for walking, arms for climbing, etc.), the movement is reduced by 5’ (minimum 0’). Once partially disabled, targeting the same limb again has no additional effect. (DR309 p68)

Magic Items

Razor armor: 2d6 dmg when grapple (bovd 111) 5,600g

cloak of quils: 1d6 when grapple 5/day (MIC 87) 2,500g

gloves of the titan's grip: +8 grapple 5/day (MIC 107) 14,000g

silk slick belt: escape artist check as move action. +10 EA check 1/day (MIC 136) 2,000g

strongarm bracers: use weapons 1 size larger no penelty (MIC 139) 6,000g

ring of earth's grip: +4 str-based checks using grip. (DR314 29) 10,000g

devilhusk: 3d8 +1 1/2 str on grappl (boed 112) 33,165g

ring of freedom of movement: constantly under spell effect (dmg 232) 40,000g

So dose anyone have any suggestions on how to make this build more fun and at least effective if not optimized.

Invader
2013-09-26, 08:03 AM
so i have a character concept, I know its nothing optimized but I thought it would be fun to play from an RP perspective. a pure grapple / wrestling build. I have done some looking around and found some good components but im not sure whats good and whats junk.

To start off his name is Victor Zangief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zangief) (I like theme characters) I wanted to use Prc Reaping Mauler (http://dndtools.eu/classes/reaping-mauler/) and I was thinking of Monk as a base class so I wouldn't have to wear armor (I want his outfit to consist of only a speedo and maybe a mask and cape) but I have also considered fighter so I could use things like

Devilhusk: 3d8+1&1/2 str on grapple (boed p112) 33,165g
or
Razor Armor: 2d6 dmg on grapple (bovd 111) 5,600g

Below is a list of things I have compiled for the build but not sure what I should use with it.

Feats:

earths embrace:(str15, imp grapple, imp unarm strk) 1d12 to pined target (cwar 97)

improved grapple:(dex13, imp unarm strk) +4 grapple, no AoO (phb 95)

combat stability:(Combat Focus, WIS 13, base attack bonus +3,)You gain a +4 bonus on checks or rolls to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip attempts made against you. If you have three or more combat form feats, the bonus granted by this feat increases to +8.(phb2 87)

improved unarmed strike: considered armed with fists (phb 90)

stunning fist:(dex13, wis13, imp umarm strk, bab8) (phb 90)

fist of iron:(imp umarm, stun fist, bab2) 1d6 rather than sunning fist (cwar 97)

daredevil athlete: +5 Easc artist check 3/day (cadv 77)

Clever Wrestling: When your opponent is larger than Mediumsize, you gain a circumstance bonus on your grapple check to escape a grapple or pin. The size of the bonus depends on your opponent's size (Cwar)

Stone Monkey(Wisdom 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist)When Grappling, you gain the new Grapple Option of partially disabling an opponent’s arm or leg. On a successful check, your opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC is Wisdom-based) to avoid receiving a –2 penalties on all rolls & checks using the targeted limb for 1d6+1 rounds. If the limb is also used for movement (legs for walking, arms for climbing, etc.), the movement is reduced by 5’ (minimum 0’). Once partially disabled, targeting the same limb again has no additional effect. (DR309 p68)

Magic Items

Razor armor: 2d6 dmg when grapple (bovd 111) 5,600g

cloak of quils: 1d6 when grapple 5/day (MIC 87) 2,500g

gloves of the titan's grip: +8 grapple 5/day (MIC 107) 14,000g

silk slick belt: escape artist check as move action. +10 EA check 1/day (MIC 136) 2,000g

strongarm bracers: use weapons 1 size larger no penelty (MIC 139) 6,000g

ring of earth's grip: +4 str-based checks using grip. (DR314 29) 10,000g

devilhusk: 3d8 +1 1/2 str on grappl (boed 112) 33,165g

ring of freedom of movement: constantly under spell effect (dmg 232) 40,000g

So dose anyone have any suggestions on how to make this build more fun and at least effective if not optimized.

There's this
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13432.0

And this one although it doesn't work for me
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=585.0

Deca4531
2013-09-26, 09:24 AM
While they do have a lot of good info in the guide its not really the theme I was going for. Black blood Cultist (http://dndtools.eu/classes/black-blood-cultist/) would be pretty powerful but its really more of a feral fighting style that a professional martial art. plus you have to be able to rage to gain most of the benefits and the low lv of barb doesn't allow form many uses a day. I was looking maybe for a monk variant, something that didn't require me to be a spell caster.

Telonius
2013-09-26, 09:50 AM
Before you go this route, check with your DM about Enlarge Person. Enlarge Person is one of the best ways of improving your Grapple check, but by RAW, as soon as a medium character is enlarged, you no longer qualify for Clever Wrestling, therefore all of the Reaping Mauler features turn off. It's a stupid problem, and most DMs I know would handwave it, but it's better to figure it out beforehand.

Deca4531
2013-09-26, 10:14 AM
Before you go this route, check with your DM about Enlarge Person. Enlarge Person is one of the best ways of improving your Grapple check, but by RAW, as soon as a medium character is enlarged, you no longer qualify for Clever Wrestling, therefore all of the Reaping Mauler features turn off. It's a stupid problem, and most DMs I know would handwave it, but it's better to figure it out beforehand.

yeah,and the 3lv dip into leviathan hunter for the Clever Wrestling freat without per-reqs really isn't worth it. however I did find a good feat that semi replaces what reaping mauler dose

Choke Hold:(pre-reqs:Imp unarm strk, imp grapple, stunning fist) If the character pins his opponent while grappling and maintains the pin for 1 full round, the opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Wis modifier) at the end of the round or fall unconscious for 1d3 rounds.

so other than their death abilty, which I don't see working on much at mid lv or up, its pretty much just what I wanted, as long as my GM will allow an Oriental Adventures feat to be used.