PDA

View Full Version : The Final Puzzle Piece: What the Order are Missing [Spoilers]

RMS Oceanic
2013-09-26, 08:33 AM
NB: Spoilers inbound from pretty much everywhere, with nary a tag to be seen!

The Order's first defeat of Xykon was a fluke, a deus ex machina left lying around by Dorukan. Ergo I think it's a safe assumption that they won't have the luxury of such a thing when it comes time for the fully fledged rematch. This begs the question: What do they need to prevail? Well I'm hoping to discuss what I think is the final puzzle piece, but it's important to flesh out the rest of the picture, which I shall paradoxically and maybe hypocritically put in spoilers in case people wanna skip to the ending.

This is the most obvious one, they definitely need to be stronger than they were in that dungeon, and fortunately, they are: They're all several levels higher, and have a number of neat toys that will be useful: Roy's sword, Haley's bow, even Durkon's vampirism will play a role. However to quote Parson Gotti, all these are additives: They need other things to truly prevail. I am working off the assumption that Xykon will not be directly overpowered: He is the master of such a tactic, and as Vaarsuvius learned direct power is not necessarily effective.

So in that regard they need a different kind of power, in their allies: the most steadfast alliance is with Hinjo and what resources he has at his command. There's also Roy's Archon and what he's mustering, but there may be a limit to what he can direct towards the material plane. To a lesser extent there are the elves, although the failure of the Resistance may give them pause to further commitment; I have a feeling their position will be fleshed out in the next book, as the most logical place for the Order to go in lieu of access instantaneous transportation would be to the elves, but that's another thread. Arguably their most important alliance is the friend of a friend, i.e. the Monster in the Darkness. He's already saved them from being flattened once, and I think his involvement in the final battle will be a multiplying factor on what the Order can bring to bear.

A while ago the best question I've ever seen was asked in relation to the story: What character development do the Order need to win? It was a great question because all that power is useless if the flaws in your character mean you squander it. Again, look at Darth Vaarsuvius for this. Well we can look at the characters and get a feel for it.

Roy - Chiefly his development has been about responsibility for the right reasons. He got into this to spite Eugene, but long since accepted that the stake of the world is far more important than sticking it to his father. Also more recently is his ability to listen to people even when he's disinclined to do so: He may have no love for Belkar, but possibly through the example of Elan rescuing them from the Microcosm, he learned listened to Belkar when the gate was exploding, and it saved them. This latest assault of Tarquin's is showing how his development has come along: Prior to besting Xykon the Order would likely have fled from such a thing, but despite the disadvantage they're at Roy's maintained a clarity of mind to set up a stand, and it will be this sort of on the fly tactical thinking that a showdown with Xykon needs.

Haley - Haley's development is squared solidly around trust: Finally being open with Elan about her feelings was the first step, but then with Elan being open with his own encounters with the split helped her open up more, and seeing what her father was reduced to by his own mistrust has furthered that openness. Lack of trust is ultimately what did in the Order of the Scribble, and certainly why the struggle for Girard's gate has been so painful. If those alliances that have been cultivated will be of any use, you need someone who understands both paranoia and trust on your team.

Elan - Like Haley, Elan's first big step was his feelings for Haley, and remaining committed to Haley even when temptation came along. The next big step came with the Empire of Blood and all he discovered. He's always been, and still is, the most childish of the Order, and had a lot of faith in the conventions of the genre. However his father has forced him to accept that he can't just have a happy ending on a silver platter. He's going to have to work for it, and carve his own story out rather than either follow the trends or force things to fit those trends. This maturing also means he is more aware of his abilities, so while Dungeon Crawlin Elan would have tried to sing his way out of danger, he actually uses a variety of his tools, and is probably a better example of being able to apply his power more effectively.

Belkar - His real fake epiphany was the obvious step, and definitely when he become an actual effective team player for the Order, but since then there have been hints that he is finally showing concern for anything outside his own needs. Mr Scruffy fits certainly, and his reaction to Durkon's fate has definitely shaken him up, although the full impact of that is still in development. The most important step is his pro-activeness in helping everyone survive the gate. Dungeon Crawlin Belkar probably wouldn't have done that.

Vaarsuvius - Of the entire order, I'd say the most important development hasn't yet been completed in four of them (E, B, V & D), and the last two would be the least complete. Vaarsuvius' grasp for power and what they did with it has been a tremendous catalyst for their character. Like Elan they have had to (re)learn how to effectively apply their power, but that was the immediate personal result of the IFCC deal. The less direct results have only impacted them today: The true extent of Familicide has forced them to consider the implications that Rich considers the most abhorrent of D&D, and now the IFCC calling in their debt far sooner than expected. It will be a while before all this sinks in, but their immediate confession to Roy of what happened, while incomplete due to battle, shows what looks like a complete humbling. They already sacrificed their marriage with little thought to continue this quest, so what else they may sacrifice in the desire to atone will be interesting.

Durkon - I think it's still too early to really see where Durkon now stands. We know he's changed a lot in a physical sense, but how much has his personality changed? Well one thing is he definitely has no compunctions about killing his enemies now, and he still has loyalty to those he called friend in life. I think the real display of his motives will be when the immediate danger passes and we see what his long term desires now are, and how he interacts with people outside the Order who aren't trying to kill him. I think I'll leave it at that for now, because this can be a prickly topic to speculate too deeply on.

So where does this leave the Order as a whole now? To sum it up, they've truly gelled as a team. For the most part they know where they stand with each other, they trust - or at listen to - Roy to lead them, and they are more comfortable with what they can do. This is obviously incomplete - Vaarsiuvius still has a lot of soul searching to do, and we need a clearer picture of how Durkon sees things now - but as a piece of the puzzle, I'd say it's metaphorically in hand, if not yet placed on the puzzle.

Right, with those first two categories broadly discussed, time for the fuzziest part of the puzzle:

Category 3 - Knowledge

They say knowledge is power, and I agree. The thing that prevented this situation being nipped in the bud was nobody (alive) knowing anything about phylacteries or the need to destroy them. And then Roy not knowing enough about Xykon's actual power level lead to the doozy of a first step that was 443. And Vaarsuvius concealing what happened that fateful lunchtime left the battle for Girard's gate effectively a shambles. So what knowledge is needed to be able to prevail?

Well the elephant-that-might-actually-just-be-a-planet in the room is the true nature of the Snarl: Is everyone fighting over nothing? Well we don't know enough to make an accurate judgement on this just yet. It might not be a piece of this particular puzzle, or even a puzzle piece at all.

They're off to a nice start with O-Chul's reconnaissance: Tactical data is something the Order have sorely lacked, and it's what hamstrung previous attempts at a final defeat. They also finally know the status of the phylactery, and thankfully their assumption that Team Evil would bring it with them has been validated by Redcloak concealing the real phylactery from Xykon. I'm 95% confident we will never spend any time at Xykon's astral fortress.

They could do with information on their predecessors: Why the Order of the Scribble broke up? Why their defences failed against Xykon? Learning more about this however is less about defeating Xykon and more about preparing a more balanced and effective defence against abuse of the gates in future. However it may be useful in cultivating the assistance of whomever is at Kraagor's gate that isn't trying to seize it.

Finally, the point of this thread!

Which at long last leads me to the one puzzle piece that I don't see the Order either having at hand or considering the need of: Team Evil's true motive. Something that has struck me as curious is that for a comic with such a major subtext as exploring the unfortunate implications of casually labelling sentient beings as evil, the protagonists have almost completely avoided encountering this question.

The only two examples that spring to my mind of the Order considering the question are Vaarsuvius realising the consequences of Familicide, and Roy resolving that orc camp problem in the Origins of PC's and being berated by his party for the way he resolved it. It goes a great length to establishing that if anyone is to explore the question, it would be Roy, perhaps with Vaarsuvius' insight, but as a more immediate concern that true motive would be a powerful tool in the showdown with Xykon, allowing for "conversion, division or attrition" of enemy forces, to borrow from Parson again.

So where do we stand with the question of "Always Evil"? As I've said, it's interesting that the Order have never had a chance to consider it. It's the primary driving motivation of Redcloak, and Xykon knows this to a degree, but Redcloak has successfully kept the truth from non-Goblinoid eyes and ears for thirty years. I don't think it's too hackney'd a thing for this secret to come out eventually, and at a time that would maximize the devastation to Team Evil.

So if this the final piece of the Puzzle that the Order need to consider, the next question is obvious: What turns them onto the scent? From Microcosm it's obvious they don't currently suspect Redcloak of deceiving Xykon. Haley may be more aware of how dangerous he is than Roy is, but the truth is still hidden from her.

Well short of taking a leaf out of Give My Head Peace* and the Order finding the truth about the plan in their breakfast cereal, I see one fairly obvious conduit: Right-eye's Daughter. We don't know what Right-eye told her, or what of it she understands, but if there's a free agent loose in the world that could at least get the Order onto the trail of the truth, I'd think it's her. There's also a lot to be said for Right-eye's approach of building a village peacefully. Again depending on what she knows and comprehends, she could be the link between the Order and the question of "Always Evil" thinking, and maybe the seeds of a resolution to that conflict, even if it's something that takes years or decades to come about.

So now I've written about as much about a webcomic as I did for my dissertation, what do the boards think? Are there other pieces of the puzzle I've overlooked? Could the Order either discover the truth from another source, or even win without it?

*Northern Irish BBC Sitcom

DiamondHooHaMan
2013-09-26, 03:49 PM
something that seems important is luck. lets face it they are lucky people a lot of the time, it can't be overstated.

there is also everything Red Cloak has planning. if him and X have what has been building up for a while now BEFORE the Order steps into the ring? suddenly X may well be down his cleric, with a lot of spells spent or damage taken. remember the last gate may well be filled to the brim with monsters, that alone is going to take up a lot of the bad guys (as the first to arrive) time and resources. so as long as the Order get to the tomb before X and Red have chance to prepare spells, that is a massive advantage.

also, there is the simple fact that Red and X are not only backed up by a Wild card under a pink umbrella, but that they have NO idea that they should be keeping an eye on him. a shock that far out of the realm of consideration will muck up at least one of their plans. (plan: feed opponents to thing in shadows) for example. also? the Thing in the Shadows true friend will meet up with them. this is a massive boost even before the fact they will have the most badass Paladin of all time backing our heroes up.

also? you seem to have forgotten the Halfling woman who's name I can't remember. she should be still alive and if she is? she KNOWS that bad guys are coming. she KNOWS that she is the last defence against the snarl (maybe. well she knows what the monkey sticks is going on with that mess. maybe.) so hopefully she is calling in any and every favour that she has, and may well have spent all the time since the city fell preparing for assault. we don't know what to expect from her yet, but she may well be one of the most significant people on the side of the Angels right now.

and as you said about the atrial plane fortress, X might be cockier now that he thinks that he is in no danger of being killed. yes relying on :xykon: to do something stupid is a very good way to get yourself killed. but it's something.

will add more thoughts when I've thought of them. The Gods might do something, but if they were to act, they would have acted by now. so I doubt that.

Shale
2013-09-26, 04:42 PM
Once V finally comes clean about Familicide, that should be enough to get somebody on the Order - probably Elan - thinking about the problem of "Always Evil." Everybody else will be reeling from the revelation of how the Draketooths died, and he'll pipe up with "and all those poor dragons!" It won't convert the whole team to Redcloak's side, but it should at least put the idea in their heads, so when RC (or his niece!) does bring it up it won't blindside anybody.

Talvereaux
2013-09-26, 04:46 PM
The very real possibly of Redcloak betraying Xykon could tie loose ends with both how the Order will overpower Team Evil and how they'll handle Redcloak's character arc (by proxy, working in the 'always evil' question mentioned in the OP, if his end doubles as some semblance of redemption). Now that Redcloak's pocketed Xykon's phylactery, he's officially gone behind his back to ensure he is the key to ending Xykon permanently. While it's also possible this plot device is only there as a means to prolong the phylactery's vulnerability--considering it's now with Team Evil at all times rather than in the fortress in the Astral Plane--I suspect there's more to it than that.

Especially once you consider the following (Start of Darkness content, read at your own risk):
Xykon has the MitD charmed to devour Redcloak should he ever betray him. Even if the MitD also betrays Xykon, and even if the phylactery is destroyed after Xykon's death, there's still no chance of Redcloak being spared or allowed to live for all the damage he's done.

Adding the scene where Xykon enchants the MitD is further support that it will happen. It doesn't seem like that particular detail was just added as a garnishment, so much as foreshadowing that one day that gun will have to be fired.

MtlGuy
2013-09-26, 05:06 PM
I've wondered about Right-Eye's daughter as well.

I think Redcloak and Xykon are ultimately on a collision course. Xykon may not give a rat's posterior or appear to take things seriously but he's not stupid, he doesn't trust Redcloak anymore than Redcloak trusts him. The greatest opportunity for success and a lasting peace is really for Redcloak and Roy to sit down and engage in diplomacy, Like Roy did with the Orcs in the prequel book. For that to happen, Xykon must be neutralized.

Vs. Xykon... Protection from negative energy is tops (no repeated castings of Enevation), Durkon can now do this. Protection from fire would be a good one to put a stop to meteor swarm. Really though, get Redcloak to stop supporting Xykon and that's pretty much it.

ti'esar
2013-09-26, 06:59 PM
Xykon has the MitD charmed to devour Redcloak should he ever betray him. Even if the MitD also betrays Xykon, and even if the phylactery is destroyed after Xykon's death, there's still no chance of Redcloak being spared or allowed to live for all the damage he's done.

Adding the scene where Xykon enchants the MitD is further support that it will happen. It doesn't seem like that particular detail was just added as a garnishment, so much as foreshadowing that one day that gun will have to be fired.

I think it's a real possibility that the MitD will destroy the phylactery by devouring Redcloak. I don't actually expect this to happen, because 19 times out of 20 the story isn't that predictable, but the pieces are all there.

Regarding the main topic, I agree wholeheartedly: along with The Secret of Snarlworld, the Plan and everything around it are one of the two things that the Order really needs to find out before the final battle. I'm less certain that this will involve Right-Eye's daughter, though.

Spoomeister
2013-09-26, 09:39 PM
I am working off the assumption that Xykon will not be directly overpowered: He is the master of such a tactic, and as Vaarsuvius learned direct power is not necessarily effective.

That's reasonable, but I'm working off the assumption that Kraagor's Gate has been slowly wearing down Team Evil. Consider that it was built by Serini as a testament to Kraagor's belief in the power of physical might (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html). I expect that that means that it can't be easily bypassed, shortcut or otherwise cheated with magic. And given Xykon's brute force approach to most things, he'd probably get caught up in it. AND given that it was engineered and stocked by an epic level rogue, there's probably some pretty traps and nifty design tricks in there.

Hell, I've had a pet fan theory / min-fanfic-ish notion that

...the gate is actually right there at the entrance to Kraagor's Tomb, but it's only accessible when one is leaving the dungeon, using something only available at the center of the dungeon. Because what's better than one epic dungeon filled with the toughest monsters around... than two? Fight one's way to the center, get the macguffin that unlocks the secret to the gate, listen to a bunch of clever gears and mechanisms sliding walls and stairs and such around... fight your way OUT of essentially a completely different dungeon...

But anyway, I think Team Evil is slogging through that final gate one way or another, and that will do some of the attrition to them to make it even remotely possible for OOTS to have a shot. In which case it could just be (mostly) one epic straight-up fight.

RMS Oceanic
2013-09-27, 08:24 PM
something that seems important is luck. lets face it they are lucky people a lot of the time, it can't be overstated.

True, but as a piece of the puzzle it's hard to quantify.

also? you seem to have forgotten the Halfling woman who's name I can't remember. she should be still alive and if she is? she KNOWS that bad guys are coming. she KNOWS that she is the last defence against the snarl (maybe. well she knows what the monkey sticks is going on with that mess. maybe.) so hopefully she is calling in any and every favour that she has, and may well have spent all the time since the city fell preparing for assault. we don't know what to expect from her yet, but she may well be one of the most significant people on the side of the Angels right now.

You mean Serini? Well if she's alive, she may be an important ally, and also a source of knowledge. However if she was the one Girard entrusted the real location of the Gate to, she may be reluctant. I have a crazy more-for-laughs theory about her, and that is:

Belkar is her grandson. He never mentioned it because it literally never occured to him. :smallbiggrin:

Once V finally comes clean about Familicide, that should be enough to get somebody on the Order - probably Elan - thinking about the problem of "Always Evil." Everybody else will be reeling from the revelation of how the Draketooths died, and he'll pipe up with "and all those poor dragons!" It won't convert the whole team to Redcloak's side, but it should at least put the idea in their heads, so when RC (or his niece!) does bring it up it won't blindside anybody.

I like the idea that Elan would automatically feel bad about the dragons. It's definitely something I could see him do, and as you say it would be a less obvious way of planting that seed in their head.

The very real possibly of Redcloak betraying Xykon could tie loose ends with both how the Order will overpower Team Evil and how they'll handle Redcloak's character arc (by proxy, working in the 'always evil' question mentioned in the OP, if his end doubles as some semblance of redemption). Now that Redcloak's pocketed Xykon's phylactery, he's officially gone behind his back to ensure he is the key to ending Xykon permanently. While it's also possible this plot device is only there as a means to prolong the phylactery's vulnerability--considering it's now with Team Evil at all times rather than in the fortress in the Astral Plane--I suspect there's more to it than that.

I still don't think Redcloak has any intention of betraying Xykon anymore than the entire plan is a betrayal. He just needed that leverage, for as we see, the first time Redcloak and Xykon disagree after offing Tsukiko, Xykon wins the argument. If he had just let Xykon take the Phylactery, then he'd truly be at his mercy. If Redcloak betrays Xykon before the ritual is complete, it will be because either Xykon is abandoning the plan entirely, or like the cries of his little brother all those years ago something has pierced the armour of the plan which he wraps himself up in. And if his niece is to have a part in this story, then it may well be that, if not a source of information to the Order.

David Argall
2013-09-27, 09:46 PM
The very real possibly of Redcloak betraying Xykon

Is 100%, because that is what Redcloak is doing right now. And a double double cross is just not in the cards. Now the party might find out about the actual nature of the ritual, and tell X, after which Redcloak may have to join the party or be killed by X.
However the most likely plot is that the party fight X in book 6, which results in the gate being destroyed and the party being tossed into the rift, after which they probably have to find a way to save the world, while dealing with X in book 7. By that point, any betrayal by Redcloak is off the table. It has happened.

Boogastreehouse
2013-09-28, 12:19 AM
I think it looks nice with a little space

Once V finally comes clean about Familicide, that should be enough to get somebody on the Order - probably Elan - thinking about the problem of "Always Evil." Everybody else will be reeling from the revelation of how the Draketooths died, and he'll pipe up with "and all those poor dragons!"

Actually Belkar would be the one to say it, I think, pointing out that they were all a bunch of tall, smelly, shoe-wearing hypocrites.

RMS Oceanic
2013-10-14, 03:01 AM

Actually Belkar would be the one to say it, I think, pointing out that they were all a bunch of tall, smelly, shoe-wearing hypocrites.

It could be a group effort: Elan feeling sorry for them, Vaarsuvius verbalising that feeling, Belkar pointing out the hypocrisy. In any case the time the Order consider this part of the bigger picture for the first time is a scene I'm looking forward to.

SlashDash
2013-10-14, 09:25 AM
What exactly is wrong with the original plan?
Remember the spell they cast on Roy's sword was supposed to obliterate Xykon. He found out and shattered it.

Second time around, Xykon flew out of range. Since the last gate is obviously in the dwarven homelands, meaning underground, that's less likely to happen.

You know what they said... Third's time the charm.

RMS Oceanic
2013-10-14, 09:31 AM
What exactly is wrong with the original plan?
Remember the spell they cast on Roy's sword was supposed to obliterate Xykon. He found out and shattered it.

Second time around, Xykon flew out of range. Since the last gate is obviously in the dwarven homelands, meaning underground, that's less likely to happen.

You know what they said... Third's time the charm.

The rift was above ground when we saw it in the crayons.There may be a room built around it like Girard's gate, but I doubt it will be small. There should be room for maneuver here.

Coat
2013-10-15, 09:13 AM
They already have a worked example in the question of Always Evil stood right next to them: Durkon.

Postmortem Durkon and the Belkster are both now (probably) evil party members, but Durkon is a very different proposition to Death's Ltt'l Helper: for starters, there's never been a sense that Roy - or even Haley - couldn't swiftly and effectively curtail Belkar's actions if it became necessary. That might not be possible with Durkon.

Plus Durkon is a long time friend, and was previously defined by his goodness. The choices Durkon (deceased) make cannot stand unexamined when they conflict with his previous history.

At some point, motivations and the questions of means to an end are going to have to be examined. And that will call into question what Team Evil is up to and why. I very much expect the Monster in the Darkness to be an important part of that conversation, if it becomes split off from Team Evil somehow.

Also, Roy's biggest, and still remaining weakness is that he doesn't trust his team, and he doesn't delegate effectively. He doesn't direct Belkar's viciousness, he doesn't target V's magic effectively, he doesn't encourage Elan to use his capability effectively, he doesn't force Durkon to overcome his passivity.

He's smart. He needs to learn to understand his team's potentials, to guide them on how to support each other, and to rely on them to do so effectively when the premium fertilizer comes into contact with the air circulation device and the plans go up the wazoo.

The OotS have not yet gelled: when they can work at the same level of effectiveness as their ambush on the Linear guild without having to have it all planned out in advance - THEN they will be ready for Xykon.

RMS Oceanic
2013-10-15, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't say the ambush - if by which you mean HOLY - was "planned out" the way one would have a grand strategy. It wasn't immediately on the fly either, but it was a plan devised when under pressure from the enemy and it paid off. Similarly he was able to direct what little resources he had when Tarquin made his move.

You talk about lack of trust, and the Roy of old would fit that mold, but I think he's on the way to getting over that hurdle: The key to my view on this is his listening to Belkar as Girard's gate was crumbling. That's trusting Belkar, a guy who has always looked out for number one, to have an idea about how to protect themselves.

You make an interesting point that Durkon's current situation could be another factor in turning them onto the "always evil" question.

Coat
2013-10-16, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't say the ambush - if by which you mean HOLY - was "planned out" the way one would have a grand strategy.

Yep, that was what I was referring to. And I agree. But it was planned in advance, not off the cuff.

When you can play off each other's strengths and weaknesses and support each other that well, without needing to set it up at all - that's when you have a team.

Also, it made no use of Elan, or V.

You talk about lack of trust, and the Roy of old would fit that mold, but I think he's on the way to getting over that hurdle: The key to my view on this is his listening to Belkar as Girard's gate was crumbling. That's trusting Belkar, a guy who has always looked out for number one, to have an idea about how to protect themselves.

Without question, they've all come a long way.

But suggesting that Roy - or any of them - have completed their character growth arcs is, in my opinion, getting ahead of ourselves.

Yes, we may have turned the corner, we may be on the final straight with the finishing posts in sight - but traditionally, that is the point at which one stumbles, to lend some drama to the final moments.

So yeah, to go back to your puzzle metaphor, while I agree that the edges - the power envelope - is pretty much done*, and while I think we've got the shape of the heart of the picture - the characters - there are still a good number of pieces left to fit, and the picture may not turn out to be quite what we are expecting.

But yes, the background - knowledge - is barely begun. And the background sets the context for the scene, which we know will be the order facing off against Xykon. But where and why - that is what the knowledge pieces will tell us, as they start to fall into place**.

Oooo. Excitin'. It's a good story this, innit?

* Except they seem to be about to square off against a trio of higher level characters. There's a fair bit of XP and kit in that, potentially (and if they survive), so we might need to move the edges around a bit and make some more space. We might be about to find a bunch more edge pieces.

** And now I really want an OotS jigsaw puzzle, of the order facing off against Xykon.

zimmerwald1915
2013-10-16, 05:48 PM
Also, Roy's biggest, and still remaining weakness is that he doesn't trust his team, and he doesn't delegate effectively. He doesn't direct Belkar's viciousness, he doesn't target V's magic effectively, he doesn't encourage Elan to use his capability effectively, he doesn't force Durkon to overcome his passivity.
Though they are wholly eamples of neither, "directing" Belkar, "targetting" V and "forcing" Durkon all sound more like micromanagement aniated by the need to police and control than "delegation" animated by "trust". Is this what you meant to suggest? I'm also seeing an implication here that Roy ought to somehow speed the rest of the Order's character development along, as well aslead them in battle. Did you mean to imply that? If so, how do you imagine he would accomplish this?

Coat
2013-10-17, 06:27 AM
Though they are wholly eamples of neither, "directing" Belkar, "targetting" V and "forcing" Durkon all sound more like micromanagement aniated by the need to police and control than "delegation" animated by "trust". Is this what you meant to suggest? I'm also seeing an implication here that Roy ought to somehow speed the rest of the Order's character development along, as well aslead them in battle. Did you mean to imply that? If so, how do you imagine he would accomplish this?

Delegation, not micromanagement, is about telling the team what he needs done, not how. Roy has a bit of a habit of telling people how they should solve the problems, but not explaining what he needs solved.

Good leadership is about recognising the fact that everyone has strengths and limitations, and giving them roles that play to their strengths, and avoid their weaknesses.

Recognising that Elan isn't useless just because he'll never be a strong frontline fighter is core character growth for Roy.

Learning that it's actually important to listen to Roy and do what he says is core character growth for Belkar.

Roy can't speed along the other character's growth - but he needs to see it, and make use of it. Which he is - so they are starting to come together as a team. But they're not there yet.

RMS Oceanic
2013-10-17, 07:32 AM
Delegation, not micromanagement, is about telling the team what he needs done, not how. Roy has a bit of a habit of telling people how they should solve the problems, but not explaining what he needs solved.

Good leadership is about recognising the fact that everyone has strengths and limitations, and giving them roles that play to their strengths, and avoid their weaknesses.

Recognising that Elan isn't useless just because he'll never be a strong frontline fighter is core character growth for Roy.

Learning that it's actually important to listen to Roy and do what he says is core character growth for Belkar.

Roy can't speed along the other character's growth - but he needs to see it, and make use of it. Which he is - so they are starting to come together as a team. But they're not there yet.

Maybe I misspoke in my original thesis: I certainly agree that nobody's character development is complete; it would be more accurate to state the human members have had more development up until now. I fully acknowledge they aren't finished, but even without finishing I think this battle with Tarquin is a good milestone for how they're improving. Maybe they'll get to the point where Roy can say "V, the elemental! Durkon, the ghouls!" and little more, and maybe Roy's leadership will remain fairly tactical. We'll see in the future. Ultimately my OP is an attempt to analyse all the elements for victory that

(A) They have
(B) They don't have but are in the process of getting, or
(C) They don't have but realise they need

My argument is that Team Evil's true motive is the one factor in the story that the Order neither have nor realise they need. They have more power than when they last fought Xykon, so that's A. Between all the things they've had to consider over this adventure, they're in the process of getting more Character development. They have no idea what's going on with the Snarl, but I'm confident they want to find out, so that's C. As they've never vocalised any thoughts about why Xykon and Redcloak want to take over the world, I'd say that's D.

Coat
2013-10-17, 09:47 AM
Ultimately my OP is an attempt to analyse all the elements for victory that

(A) They have
(B) They don't have but are in the process of getting, or
(C) They don't have but realise they need

... They have no idea what's going on with the Snarl, but I'm confident they want to find out, so that's C. As they've never vocalised any thoughts about why Xykon and Redcloak want to take over the world, I'd say that's D.

Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Thinking about the value of good vs evil stories, I figure that the role of 'evil' in those stories is to teach us to recognise evil - particularly in ourselves - and the role of good is to teach us how to fight it - particularly in ourselves.

Which is why in the strongest good vs evil stories the Big Bad is clearly and unambiguously Evil, but the real threat they represent tends to be a creeping erosion of the protagonist's core values, more than the direct physical menace. The Big Damn Heroes literally Overcome Evil by figuratively Overcoming The Evil Within Themselves.

The antagonists so far in OotS have been unambiguously Bad, and a direct threat. For me, to stand alongside the classic works of Good Vs Evil fantasy, the work needs to say something about where the line between Good and Evil is drawn, and What Evil Means.

Understanding why the Big Bad is doing what they're doing is the first step of that. So I'm looking forward to D.

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-17, 02:19 PM
All this is quite true, but one final note here is that the Order has little time to develop any of these traits further. They're going to be thrown into the struggle more or less at the point they're at, I believe. Which is why I think various betrayals inside Team Evil will do the heavy lifting, and the Order will just pick the right moment to end things.

ti'esar
2013-10-17, 03:17 PM
All this is quite true, but one final note here is that the Order has little time to develop any of these traits further. They're going to be thrown into the struggle more or less at the point they're at, I believe. Which is why I think various betrayals inside Team Evil will do the heavy lifting, and the Order will just pick the right moment to end things.

This would seem more plausible if it was not for the fact that we've been repeatedly told there are two books to go. Particularly in light of the pruning of many subplots, I don't understand why so many people are viewing the story as so close to the end.

AKA_Bait
2013-10-17, 04:23 PM
This would seem more plausible if it was not for the fact that we've been repeatedly told there are two books to go. Particularly in light of the pruning of many subplots, I don't understand why so many people are viewing the story as so close to the end.

Not just two books, four years more of comic. That's something in the area of 300-400 strips, plus bonus material.

zimmerwald1915
2013-10-17, 04:27 PM
Not just two books, four years more of comic. That's something in the area of 300-400 strips, plus bonus material.
More like 500 or 600 strips total, if the trend towards longer and longer books continues.

RMS Oceanic
2013-10-17, 04:38 PM
Keep in mind that Book Five has happened over two weeks, and War and XPs took place over one week. It's certainly possible for books six and seven to span the entirity of Belkar's remaining lifespan (five weeks).

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-18, 04:46 PM

I don't view the story as close to the end from our perspective. It's two books and several years of comics to go.

That doesn't mean that they have a lot of time in-world to level up repeatedly and change themselves immensely, though. Almost 25% of the comic, as someone pointed out, has been occupied by 2 days in the desert.

ReaderAt2046
2013-10-18, 05:55 PM
Yep, that was what I was referring to. And I agree. But it was planned in advance, not off the cuff.

When you can play off each other's strengths and weaknesses and support each other that well, without needing to set it up at all - that's when you have a team.

Also, it made no use of Elan, or V.

It didn't make use of V because V wasn't there to be made use of, and Roy's plan did use Elan--he was the fail-safe in case the main attack failed.

Tev
2013-10-19, 09:37 PM
I doubt we will see Right Eye's daughter again*, but there have been several similar things I didn't expect to pop out later again. And it's remarkable how you can break down OotS and still keep finding new layers. I like this thread!

*really, this forum has weird obsession with her. She might just live some ordinary life, say as a plumber or som- oh wait.

RMS Oceanic
2013-10-20, 02:26 AM
I doubt we will see Right Eye's daughter again*, but there have been several similar things I didn't expect to pop out later again. And it's remarkable how you can break down OotS and still keep finding new layers. I like this thread!

*really, this forum has weird obsession with her. She might just live some ordinary life, say as a plumber or som- oh wait.

Heh, I was thinking that as a crazy baseless theory. Then again I also thought she might have been adopted by the Draketooth clan. :smallsmile:

Copperdragon
2013-10-20, 05:02 AM
What always made me ponder is what Roy would do if he knew about Redcloaks motives. Redcloak is horribly evil and goes all wrong about changing the fate of his people. But they were treated unjust (if all we know is true).

Roy would not want to fixate the status quo where the goblinoids are still in their bad position. Roy thinks that Xykon is pulling the strings and is doing it to rule the world, yet he considers Redloak as just the head-lackey of Xykon.
What would he do if he knew what Redcloak's attempts are all about? To start small: I doubt he'd help the Azurites to re-conquer Azure City.

But what about the big picture? Roy is not someone who stands idling next to an injustice, but beyond "We need to defeat Xykon because he is a threat", what would he do if he found out more? He would want to help the goblinoids, but surely not with Redcloak's means.
The good thing is that I am fairly certain we will find out.

ti'esar
2013-10-20, 05:24 AM

Actually, the main reason most people who have read SoD expect to see Right-Eye's daughter again is because of theories like this. We can be almost certain that the rest of Redcloak's secrets will come out in the main comic, and she's one of the more obvious ways for them to do so.

Morty
2013-10-20, 05:44 AM
The fate of the goblin race is one of the main story arcs of this comic. His disagreement with Right-Eye about how to go about changing it, and Right-Eye's subsequent death as a result of this disagreement, was one of the pivotal moments in Redcloak's development. With that in mind, I think the chances of Right-Eye's daughter surfacing again, after being raised by humans or another PC race, are pretty high.