PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a plot hook

tamane1
2013-09-26, 08:43 AM
Hey guys, I've been DM'ing for a while now and had a new idea for a plot hook I wanted to bounce of off some people. So here it is:

The PC's are returning from an adventure and are back in town enjoying a brew when they see a big shadow in the sky approaching town. As they get closer, a large object is dropped from over the side of the ship. A large hook(the "plot hook") is attached to a rope leading to a giant flying ship(probably a pirate ship but made to fly by some magic). The PC's climb up the plot hook and begin their adventure on this ship.
The ship is a world in it self, and the PC's can only leave under special circumstances;leveling up, completing "x" amounts of dungeons, etc.

What do you think? I think it would be fun as a comical kind of start to a campaign with my seasoned players. Ya know, spice up the game a bit.

John Longarrow
2013-09-26, 09:52 AM
With the groups I've played with, only one would take the bait. Unless they have a reason to follow your story line, something to really real them in, they will probably stay anchored to their existing plans.

Not sure what your players have been doing, but if their current adventures have been smooth sailing, you'll have to either shang-hi them for your new story arc or provide a steady stream of clues to grab their attention. This is especially true if they feel like your trying to just ship them off to a new environment when they haven't finished their current plans.

Vin Robinson
2013-09-26, 10:13 AM
Bonus points: The hook lands in an empty few acres of land for sale, thus literally becomes a "plot hook."

I think it's funny, and kind of charming. I don't know any of my players that wouldn't scamper up there to look around. Not getting them to leave may be a problem, but you could demonstrate that the whole place is heavily enchanted, and have an NPC try and use magic to get down, only to have a sudden gust of wind slam them into a sigil on the side ship and seal their spells and magic items.

Perhaps you could have them race to the controls for the anchor in order to get down again. I think it would be neat to have it be a floating wizard fortress, and it's own demiplane or extradimensional space. It lends itself well to "You need to get through these crazy dungeons on this flying ship to get back down to Earth.

I also have a PC that plays a Dwarf that gets both seasick and is afraid of heights. Hilarity would ensue with how uncomfortable he is.

Anyway, great idea! I love it and I hope it goes well for you.

tamane1
2013-09-26, 11:02 AM
This was intended to be used for a party who has just completed an adventure or campaign and looking for a new challenge or thrill. I need to work out the kinks in how they will stay on the ship.

Also, the process of getting them on the ship need not be entirely serious. The party has a big dumb barbarian, and if some shady looking guy at the bottom tells him there is endless food and beer at the top, he'll likely climb and drag the party with him.

Once on the ship, there will be a high level wizard there to keep them in line(probably level 18-20), along with his cohorts of baddies to ensure they can't try to run away.

Thanks for the feedback.