PDA

View Full Version : Slardar, Rate my Monster (CR?)

pilvento
2013-09-26, 01:19 PM
So, the next monster its a mayor NPC of my current campaing and since its going to apear more ofter i had to stat him to make sure he is ready in case the PC think they are ready.

So i dont need to say, dont read if you are playing, Loki, Neko, etc

Here he comes...

Slardar, Lord of the Tides
Large Halfblood Yuan-ti/Serpent Totem Barbarian 5/Abomination warrior 1

Hit Dice 7d8 + 6d12
Hp 200
Initiative 8
Speed 40
Armor Class 21(+3dex +7+2mithral breastplate +4natural -1size)
Base Attack 13
Grapple 29
GreatSpear +21 / +16 / +11 3d6 + 12
Bite +20 or +15 2d6 + 8 plus poison
Slam +20 or +15 2d6 + 8
Space/Reach 10ft/10ft/15ft Greatspear
Special Attacks Poison, produce acid, spit, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities Spell resistance 21. chamaleon, darkvision, scent
Features Rage 2/day, Abomination,
Saves Fort +12, Ref 10, Will +10
Abilities Str 26, Dex 16, Con 18, int 18, Wis 18, Cha 16
Feats Improved Thougness, power attack, point blank shot, ranged pin
Bonus Feats Alertness, blind fight, imporved grapple, improved initiative
Poison (ex) Injury, Fort DC 17, 1d6 Con, Constitution based
Spit Poison (ex) Slardar can spit his poison as a swift action to a single creature up to 30ft,
after a succesfull touch attack they must make the Poison Fort DC
Slardar must wait 1d4 rounds before spiting poison again.
Produce Acid (ex) Slardar can Exude acid from its bofy as a swift action, dealing 3d6
points of acid damage to the next creature he touches-
If Slardar is grappling or pinning a foe when he uses this power,
its grasp deals 5d6 points of acid damage.
Spell-Like Abilities At will - animal trance DC 16, entangle DC 15
3/day - deeper darkness, neutralize poison DC 18, suggestion DC 17
1/day - fear DC 18. His caster lvl is 10, save DCs are Charisma based
Chamaleon power (Sp) Slardar cam chamge his coloration of imself and his equipment to match
his sirroundings, granting him a +10 bonus on hide checks
Consctrict (ex) Slardar deals an extra 1d6+8 damage with a succesful grapple check
after a slam with his tail, he can move at half speed and perfom other
actions as long as he hold his grapple, he cant make slam attacks
Abomination Form (ex) Slardar can asume the form of a Naga Abomination while in rage
like the Bear Warrior class feature from complete warrior
While in Abomination form he gains +8 bonus to Str, +4 bonus to Dex
+6 bonus to Con, +6 bonus to Natural armor, and he becomes Huge.
Treasure and equipment +2 mithral breastplate, Masterwork greatspear, belt of giant Str +4

After reading Urpriest handbook on rules on monster advancement over an over...

This guy should be (CR 7 from the monster + 6class advancement), so.. Cr13?
ECL is arround 18 (Hit die + Class lvls + Adjustment).
Is that ok???

The encounter

Depending on the situation he can be encounterd alone, with bodiguards or even low lvl Yuan-ti Clerics, he have many attack options, from impaling someone to a wall to causing fear and the poison spit for the low Fort characters. He wont start a fight, but the PCs hate this evil dude and i dont know if they will burst into rage once they realice he is now in their place and has diplomatic inmunity.

The "Good" guys

The Party consist of four PCs, they are lvl 10 now. They are a barbarian, a ninja, a daringoutlaw and a warmage. they only know how to kill stuff

The O-Sh* moment

I want them to fight him, make him drop to 0 and after that, abomination form and full HP again, for the true fight.

What do you think? too much? not enough HP? or just got a nice idea about the encounter itself, minions, lair, or more traits for him.
Any feed back is apreciated.

pilvento
2013-09-26, 05:12 PM
Cmon, not even a DOTA pun?

GlorinSteampike
2013-09-26, 06:20 PM
If your party is geared towards killing stuff, and he won't have any impressive mooks, 200hp is just fine if he's gonna Self-res to 250ish. His single target damage output might be pretty harsh if he slams all his attacks down on one target.

Maybe as a DotA nod, give him an expendable item that stuns/dazes in an AoE? It'll prolong the fight if they fail(and with 2 melee rogues likely to be in the AoE it could happen) by a round or two, 1 round of stun/daze, 1 round to pick weapons up again. And make his poison spit reduce armor? Or even a caustic effect so if he is truly hated, he'll have a lasting impressing when he melts that armor :smallyuk:

Also, I don't know much about Constrict/Yuan-ti but you can get this sort of scenario down, Ranged Pin on the Warmage, constrict the ninja, and use his arms to grapple the Outlaw. The have mooks surround/annoy barbarian. I think he'd have to take -20 on the grapple checks(ala the "using one hand to continue threatening and not be grappled" rules), but it'd make for some interesting stuff with the big ol' abomination tying everyone up himself and getting good use of his poison skin.