PDA

View Full Version : Nerveskitter and targeting creatures

Lorin
2013-09-26, 01:38 PM
Ok, recently we have got caught in an argument with our DM about proper use of nerveskitter. We have this piece of discription: "You suffuse your ally with a brief, blue glow. He jerks away from you, as if he can anticipate your next action." I tried to make a case that this is just flavor text, after that we have a little disagreement: can you target "one creature" spells on yourself? DM thinks, that you can't because of that statement from PH:
Some spells have a target or targets. You cast these spells on creatures or objects, as defined by the spell itself. You must be able to see or touch the target, and you must specifically choose that target. You do not have to select your target until you finish casting the spell.If the target of a spell is yourself (the spell description has a line that reads Target: You), you do not receive a*saving throw, and*spell resistance*does not apply. The*Saving Throw*and*Spell Resistance*lines are omitted from such spells.. Can someone find a quote that you are, indeed, considered a creature and you can target "One creature" spells on yourself?

Deophaun
2013-09-26, 01:50 PM
Let's just reverse the logic here. If you are not a creature, and therefore cannot target yourself with "one creature" spells, then how can anyone else target you with a "one creature" spell, as we've already determined that you are, in fact, not a creature?

This is some powerful magic immunity right there.

Andvare
2013-09-26, 01:54 PM
And you can certainly touch yourself. All people do it, some more vigorously than others.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-26, 02:24 PM
Ask him if you can target yourself with haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm), or Enlarge Person (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enlargePerson.htm)

Both of these spells are commonly refereed to as spells that can be cast with yourself as a target.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 02:26 PM
Can someone find a quote that you are, indeed, considered a creature

Tell your DM that this level of pedantry does absolutely nothing to enhance the game.

Lorin
2013-09-26, 02:52 PM
Well, it is more of a logical fallacy when anything. Well, where is a quote about touching yourself. It is in "combat"

You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself

But me and my DM are quite interested if there is a direct proof that you can target yourself with "one creature" target?

Maybe there is an example of play, where these spells are used?

Novawurmson
2013-09-26, 02:55 PM
Does your DM allow Cure Light Wounds to be used on the caster?

Psyren
2013-09-26, 03:00 PM
But me and my DM are quite interested if there is a direct proof that you can target yourself with "one creature" target?

You are one creature :smalltongue:

If it's examples you want, I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure there's examples of NPCs using Feather Fall or Enlarge Person on themselves.

eggynack
2013-09-26, 03:01 PM
Because a creature is a creature, and you are a creature? Creature doesn't mean, "Fellow that is not you." I guess I can cite the PHB glossary where it says, "Creature: A living or otherwise active being, not an object. The terms “creature” and “character” are sometimes used interchangeably." Thus, as you are a creature, and the target is "one creature", you can target yourself. This seems really simple.

killem2
2013-09-26, 03:09 PM
The rule you would want to point out to him is that you can declare yourself as a target as the willing target, and is something that can be done at any time. P175 players hand book, under aiming a spell, under target or targets 3rd paragraph.

Lorin
2013-09-26, 03:09 PM
Well, not for my DM. By the way: quoted that "Creature" phrase from a glossary. Ok, i think i'll try to skim through creatures' tactics in MM...

eggynack
2013-09-26, 03:25 PM
Well, not for my DM. By the way: quoted that "Creature" phrase from a glossary. Ok, i think i'll try to skim through creatures' tactics in MM...
Well, then he's wrong. This isn't one of those super complicated rules issues with a gazillion interpretations. Spells list who you can target, and sometimes that target is "creature", and you are a creature. There's nothing in any existent book that would indicate that you are not a creature. If this being has any actual arguments against you being a creature, then it'd be nice to hear them.

If you really need more evidence, then the share spells ability of druids might be helpful. It says, "At the druid’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion... Additionally, the druid may cast a spell with a target of "You" on her animal companion (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself." This indicates a delineation between "you" targeted spells that you cast upon yourself, and spells you cast upon yourself without a target of "you". If you didn't qualify as a creature for this purpose, that would be impossible.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 03:30 PM
As eggy pointed out, your DM needs to prove you are not a creature, not the other way around. Especially given the glossary quote.

gr8artist
2013-09-26, 03:55 PM
I was under the impression that the DM's point was not "You are not a creature" but instead that "the spell says 'ally' who jerks away from you, which would obviously be convoluted if cast on yourself".
My best guess, he's using flavor-text as though it were mechanically designed, which it is not. If the flavor text said "you touch yourself or an ally" then it would work as intended. I doubt he thinks you're not a creature. He likely thinks that there are additional limits, specific to each spell, other than the "one creature" listed under possible targets, and that these additional limits forcibly exclude certain creatures from the spell's legitimate target pool.