PDA

View Full Version : Combining PF & 3.5 Power Attack

Asteron
2013-09-26, 02:51 PM
Would it be terribly bad to combine the PF & 3.5 versions of Power Attack? Basically I want it to give the damage bonuses of PF and the customizability of 3.5.

Here is what I have written:
Power Attack
Prerequisites: Str 13, BAB +1

Benefit: You can choose to take a -1 penalty on all melee attack rolls to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls. This bonus to damage is increased by half (+50%) if you are making an attack with at two handed weapon, a one handed weapon with two hands, or a primary natural attack that deals 1.5 strength modifier on damage rolls. This bonus to damage is halved (-50%) for secondary natural weapons.

If your BAB is higher than +1, you can choose to take a penalty to your attack up to or equal your BAB, gaining bonus damage as noted above.

Does the wording need to be changed?

Feralventas
2013-09-26, 03:06 PM
The wording seems to fit, and I don't see any obvious exploits for it.

That said, while I do understand Fighter's are hardly the most broken characters in the game, I would see this as somewhat concerning for low-level comparisons to say, Rogues or Dex Rangers. Do you mean to apply the same to Piranha Strike (dex/finesse version of Power Attack) and Deadly Aim (Ranged power attack)?

For another concern, 3rd level in the 2-hand weapon Fighter archetype, presuming 18 strength, could be handing out 2d6+17 damage per round with a decent chance to hit through weapon focus and weapon enhancements. A target with 3d8+6 from con score, averaged out, comes to 23, which is pretty close to the average weapon damage of 24.

Asteron
2013-09-26, 03:41 PM
The wording seems to fit, and I don't see any obvious exploits for it.

That said, while I do understand Fighter's are hardly the most broken characters in the game, I would see this as somewhat concerning for low-level comparisons to say, Rogues or Dex Rangers. Do you mean to apply the same to Piranha Strike (dex/finesse version of Power Attack) and Deadly Aim (Ranged power attack)?

For another concern, 3rd level in the 2-hand weapon Fighter archetype, presuming 18 strength, could be handing out 2d6+17 damage per round with a decent chance to hit through weapon focus and weapon enhancements. A target with 3d8+6 from con score, averaged out, comes to 23, which is pretty close to the average weapon damage of 24.

Yes, I would allow the other versions of Power Attack to act like this.

I don't think that the damage will be too out of control. I've already anticipated a lot of damage from my new group and have added levels to the bad guys to help survive.

Dark.Revenant
2013-09-26, 06:01 PM
This causes two-handed attackers to dominate even more. I would suggest keeping it to a 1:2 ratio for all weapons (including dual wielding) regardless of handedness.

Snowbluff
2013-09-26, 06:05 PM
This causes two-handed attackers to dominate even more. I would suggest keeping it to a 1:2 ratio for all weapons (including dual wielding) regardless of handedness.

... I like this. It's a nice buff for TWF.

JusticeZero
2013-09-26, 06:13 PM
Alternately, bring offhand bonuses in line with main hand bonuses.

Asteron
2013-09-27, 09:51 AM
Good point about the off-hand weapon damage. TWF doesn't need another penalty. I have removed that from the wording.

Person_Man
2013-09-27, 10:35 AM
The really crazy Power Attack damage doesn't come from the RAW math, but from damage multipliers (strait multipliers and/or Pounce with extra attacks) and Shock Trooper (which shifts the to-hit penalty to AC, making the to-hit rate and thus the average expected much higher).

Pathfinder has fewer damage multipliers, fewer ways to get Pounce or free movement, slightly fewer ways to add additional attacks, and Shock Trooper is a bit harder to get (Tiger Pounce (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatFeats.html)), but it's all still there.

So jiggering with Power Attack is going to have the same effect that it did in 3.5, just slightly less so.