PDA

View Full Version : Fluff Traits of Humans with Distant Nonhuman Ancestors

ElectricMadman
2013-09-26, 05:13 PM
Let us brainstorm and come up with minor traits which a human with distant non-human ancestors might have . I am talking about the sort of humans which might have a bloodline .

hamishspence
2013-09-26, 05:48 PM
From Races of Faerun (admittedly these are for planetouched, but the subtle ones work for humans descended from planetouched):

Celestial:
golden eyes
silver hair
powerful ringing voice

Fiendish:
more or less than 5 digits
pointed teeth
skin hot to touch

Air:
pale white skin
flesh that is cool to the touch

Fire:
red or orange hair
unusually warm skin

Earth:
gravelly voice
very large hands and feet
metallic sheen to skin or hair

Water:
clammy flesh
large blue-black eyes

avr
2013-09-26, 09:15 PM
Behavioural quirks might be just as telling. Perhaps someone with a little dragon blood likes to touch gold, caressing it before storing it away. A trace of celestial descent might lead to a greater enjoyment of bright light, whether sunbathing or staring into any light source present. A cook descended from chaotic creatures like demons might never prepare a dish the same way twice.

Sajiri
2013-09-26, 09:20 PM
I've always wondered about draconic bloodlines- the only images I could usually find were half-dragons.

I always imagined (with others race relatives too) subtle skin tone difference, eye colour/shape, hair, other faint things, using dragons as example, somewhat rough/hard/almost scaled skin, if only in certain areas.

ElectricMadman
2013-09-26, 09:25 PM
An individual with a couatl ancestor might have irisescent hair.

ElectricMadman
2013-09-26, 09:48 PM
We need more Behavoral traits .

ElectricMadman
2013-09-26, 10:44 PM
Somebody post.

avr
2013-09-26, 10:46 PM
A lot of behavioural traits would be simpler than the ones I'd suggested above. I'd tried to be imaginative.

For elemental/genie descent, wanting to be surrounded by their element - in open spaces or high up for air/djinni, in or on the water for water/marids, by fire or in hot places for fire/efreeti, underground for earth/whatever earth genies are called. I forget.

Some humans with devil blood will be very controlling individuals, whether they're micromanaging leaders or dominant patriarchs or matriarchs of their clans. If they're not leaders they might be a bit OCD about organising their environment.

Fey blood = music is an old one. Not every music fan is a musician of course, that groupie might have satyr blood, which explains the excess hair.

Edit - that impatience suggests that your own bloodline contains some shortlived creature, electricmadman. Orc or goblin?

ElectricMadman
2013-09-27, 10:18 PM
A awakened shocker lizard could have descendants who tend to be struck by lightning often.

Seclora
2013-09-28, 12:23 AM
I have one character who is descended from Dragons(Bronze to be exact). He's semi-obsessed over it, so a lot of the traits are partially choice, hoarding gold and that sort of thing. But he also inherited a love for the seaside.

ElectricMadman
2013-09-28, 11:09 AM
I think that humanity's special power is hybridizing with anything that moves.

Scumbaggery
2013-09-28, 04:27 PM
I had an Orc descended human once. He had a knack for aggression and his lower canines protruded slightly from his bottom lip.

ElectricMadman
2013-09-29, 06:29 PM
A mostly human hybrid's strange traits might not be apparent at birth , like a Innsmouth inhabitant .

ElectricMadman
2013-09-30, 07:52 PM
I wonder what a individual descended from a Aranea would be like ?

avr
2013-09-30, 08:05 PM
Considerably biased against the followers of a goddess of crafts (see Arachne's story.)

If no such myth exists in the world in question, you could still expect unusual skill at weaving and toes sufficiently prehensile to grasp a line.

gurgleflep
2013-09-30, 08:06 PM
Aren't there bloodlines in Unearthed Arcana? I don't know how they work, but they seemed interesting.

dantiesilva
2013-09-30, 10:08 PM
I am playing a human that had his demonic heritage locked deep within him (Incubus) and as such it only is able to reveal itself during rare times like when his family is threatened, he is over stimulated, or you just piss him off enough. If he goes for 2 weeks without laying with a woman he blacks out demons takes over for night, gets its fix and he does not know what happened. Kind of amusing as he is LG and in the game he just killed something that prevented a war while in demon form without knowing it.

ElectricMadman
2013-10-01, 03:07 PM
A human with slightly webbed, long fingered hands probably has some sort of bat creature in their family tree.

ElectricMadman
2013-10-02, 08:13 PM
Come on , everyone , let us brainstorm traits!

hamishspence
2013-10-03, 02:23 AM
A human with slightly webbed, long fingered hands probably has some sort of bat creature in their family tree.

I would have gone with "something amphibious, maybe a water genasi or a kuo-toa".

Manly Man
2013-10-03, 02:47 AM
I like to do humans that have an aberrant bloodline, especially if they're into psionics, as folks who drop very solidly into the Uncanny Valley. For a Pathfinder game where I made a human Psychic Warrior, for fluff I added that somewhere a long ways back, she has an aboleth in her blood. She looked kind of like this (http://www.beautynews.com/admin/images/article/1066_1.jpg), except that her irises were just as black as her pupils, and she was bald and covered in tattoos. Refluffed her as a samurai who, while both morally and ethically upstanding, as well as idealistic, she thought in very... unorthodox manners. "Of course I'll set myself on fire and run into the room. It's going to provide as much of a distraction as we can get for those cultists about to sacrifice the child."

Yeah, she was a total Cloudcuckoolander.

ElectricMadman
2013-10-03, 10:41 PM
I , too have always loved humans descended from abberations.

ElectricMadman
2013-10-04, 09:40 PM
What would a human descended from a phasm be like?

TuggyNE
2013-10-04, 10:17 PM
What would a human descended from a phasm be like?

They would be a doppelganger or changeling (depending on how much human their blood contains).

ElectricMadman
2013-10-05, 07:50 PM
Abberation descendants , anyone?

ElectricMadman
2013-10-07, 03:13 PM
We should try to brainstorm more traits.

Let us try to come up with strange quirks !

ElectricMadman
2013-10-11, 08:21 PM
* quietly saves the thread from oblivion "

So , what traits have you guys come up with?

avr
2013-10-11, 10:36 PM
Aberration descendants? You can tell them by their decorating tastes. Those seafood restaurants decorated with sea urchins and octopuses aren't just advertising their food, you understand.

This leads to the further conclusion that people who use those curtains of glass beads in place of doors probably have distant connections with the elemental plane of fire where glass is the natural state of much sand.

ElectricMadman
2013-10-21, 03:41 PM
* saves thread from death*

Any ideas of traits of descendants some of the more obscure creatures in the manual ?