PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shattered Star Magus

Kazehito
2013-09-26, 06:20 PM
Hello, I'm currently building a new character for the second pathfinder campaign I've ever done. He has said for char building we just had to follow the pathfinder society rules, and start with a 20 point buy and 150 gold. I'm wanting to play an Aasimar Magus, but I'm not sure exactly what stats I should put what amount of points into. We are going to be running the Shattered Star campaign series, if anyone has any suggestions for for a Magus in that. I'm just looking for any help in building a Magus, especially in this campaign. I have looked at Walter's guide, but was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the Magus build. Thanks to all for your help with this.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 06:48 PM
Sure you don't want to be a combat-focused Bard (Arcane Duelist or Dervish Dancer) instead? It would go with your stats.

If not, that's fine - if you've read Walter's Guide, you'll know that the primary question facing every magus is "Str or Dex?" The answer to that will shape all the rest of your choices.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-09-26, 07:07 PM
Never read or played Shattered Star, so I have no campaign-specific advice, sorry.

Are you using the standard Aasimar, or are you using a variant bloodline? Angelkin (+STR +CHA) or Emberkin (+INT +CHA) are the best choices, unless you want to go for a dervish dance-based build, which I'd personally recommend against: It's 2 feats in exchange for some slightly higher AC at low levels and you aren't even all that much less MAD for it, you still need at least 13 STR to qualify for Power Attack.

Assuming an Angelkin here's what I'd go with: 19 STR, 13 DEX, 14 CON, 14 INT, 8 WIS, 9 CHA. Put your 4th level attribute boost into Strength. Get a +2 headband of intellect eventually and don't worry about your INT score unless you care about your save DCs.

Eldonauran
2013-09-26, 07:24 PM
I am currently DMing a Shattered Star campaign and have a Magus that is currently playing in it.

I have a few quick words to share with you: There is little need to optimize for this campaign. Throwing around Intensified Shocking Grasps as first level spells dealing 10d6 damage at character level 7, that isn't really going to do anything but trivialize the fights.

Aside from that... Be sneaky. Be very sneaky. There are quite a few encounters that escalate from fairly challenging to outright insanity if a group is alerted, and manages to get away, early. They can, and will, sound the alarm and you will face eight monsters rather than just two or three.

A Dex based Magus is a good choice, given that.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-09-26, 08:23 PM
Angelkin (+STR +CHA) or Emberkin (+INT +CHA) are the best choices, unless you want to go for a dervish dance-based build, which I'd personally recommend against: It's 2 feats in exchange for some slightly higher AC at low levels and you aren't even all that much less MAD for it, you still need at least 13 STR to qualify for Power Attack.

Dervish Dance doesn't come online until you get the feat, but there is Pirhana Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) for damage. It's Power Attack for light weapons without the 13 STR prerequisite.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 08:25 PM
Dervish Dance doesn't come online until you get the feat, but there is Pirhana Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) for damage. It's Power Attack for light weapons without the 13 STR prerequisite.

The problem though is that Dervish Dance and Piranha Strike won't work with the same weapons.

(The Agile property on a light weapon will do the trick though and save a feat.)

Kazehito
2013-09-27, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all of the input so far. I was thinking about going for the Dex build so that I would be able to survive fighting at the lower levels and get to the higher ones, and the last character I built also had weapon finesse/dervish dance and I enjoyed that style of play.

Thanks for the insight Eldonauran, I'll be sure and make sure that I pay attention to my stealth in this.

What do you guys think of all of the archetypes that are out there for the Magus, are there any really worth taking? I looked at the bladebound, but i wasnt sure about it.

Psyren
2013-09-27, 10:47 AM
What do you guys think of all of the archetypes that are out there for the Magus, are there any really worth taking? I looked at the bladebound, but i wasnt sure about it.

Bladebound and Hex are both good. Kensai is good if you want to use an exotic weapon but if not you can skip that. Vanilla Magus is fine as well.

Avoid Skirnir (shield), Myrmidarch (archer) and Spellblade (dual-wield.) What you get from those isn't really worth what you give up. Soul Forger is only worth it in extremely low wealth campaigns, and then only with free reign on crafting. Spire Defender is a weaker version of Kensai imo. Staff Magus can be nice if you're allowed to craft your own items.

Eldonauran
2013-09-27, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the insight Eldonauran, I'll be sure and make sure that I pay attention to my stealth in this.

You are welcome. Another word of advice, fort saves. They are kind of important in the first few adventures.

I am a fan of two. The Hex Magus and the Staff Magus. Both of which can be used together (to great effect). Bladebound is relevant too, but I usually pass on that.

The biggest drawback to Hex Magus is the delay of Spell Recall, which I find mildly annoying but ultimately irrelevant. The price for pearls of power is not overly restrictive and if you are going to use a onehanded weapon, get the wand weilder arcana. Especially with the staff magus archetype, you become Gandalf. In my opinion, Hexes are worth more than spell recall.

Kazehito
2013-09-27, 01:10 PM
Ok, thanks to everyone for all of the great insight on this. If I was to go Hex magus, what hexes would you suggest that would compliment the abilties best. I've never really looked that much into witches.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-27, 01:10 PM
I would definitely recommend picking up Blood of Angels to have one that increases at least one of your main stats. I will tell you though, power attack is not as necessary on builds that do not use an archetype, because you won't really be running out of spells soon. I prefer no archetypes, though Bladebound can be fun, as it's more a fluff choice than anything.

Eldonauran
2013-09-27, 01:25 PM
Ok, thanks to everyone for all of the great insight on this. If I was to go Hex magus, what hexes would you suggest that would compliment the abilties best. I've never really looked that much into witches.

Flight is a great one and will serve you well for a very long time, as well as save you from having to learn/prepare the Fly spell. Evil Eye is amazing too, especially with Cackle. If you can get your DC high enough, Slumber is a good choice. Water Lung would be ... useful in this campaign, at least during the first several levels. Not so much if you decide to invest in magic items.

If I was building a Hex Magus, the first Hex I would take would be Flight, followed closely by Evil Eye and Cackle. A reach weapon combined with Flight and channeling a touch spell through your weapon means you stay out of reach during most battles, cackling like you are mad.

Psyren
2013-09-27, 01:45 PM
Flight is indeed an extremely useful hex for Magi. Without it your options for flying are very limited until level 7, and even then there are a lot of useful 3rd-level spells so it's good to not need that one.

Bhaakon
2013-09-27, 05:48 PM
I'd be sorely tempted to take prehensile hair first, both for the reach and for the ability to manipulate objects. It's nice to carry around a metamagic rod while still wielding a weapon and having a hand free for casting.

Psyren
2013-09-27, 05:54 PM
I'd be sorely tempted to take prehensile hair first, both for the reach and for the ability to manipulate objects. It's nice to carry around a metamagic rod while still wielding a weapon and having a hand free for casting.

By the time you can afford a rod you'll have another Hex. I say Flight is more useful starting out, constant feather fall is very useful at low levels.