PDA

View Full Version : How to find members?

Sajiri
2013-09-26, 07:42 PM
I have a confession to make. Despite hanging out in the gaming section all the time since I've joined, I've played very little in the way of tabletop gaming..as in, I could count all my sessions on 2 hands.

The main issue is, finding people to play with is hard. I've read hundreds of d&d books, and I had a pretty good grasp on the rules before I even thought about playing, but I've never really found a group of people to sit down and play with. My DM previously had an RL group he played with weekly (as a player), but that DM didn't want to dm for me as I'd never played before (which is how I get my current DM). We tried getting friends together to play, but I guess irl RPGs just aren't a big thing where I live. We tried getting friends we know online together, but there were always timezone issues. We tried recruiting people out of our friendship circle, including from this site, but again, timing issues, or people just stop showing up.

I dont really like playing online anyway, and would like to find a sitdown group if possible, but with no friends interested Im not sure what to do. There's only one gaming shop within reasonable distance, but seems most people there are considerably younger than us (school-aged) and dont play what we're into. There's supposedly an older group that shows up to play D&D, and my DM once suggested we go and sit there to watch and try to meet them but that just feels....weird...to me.

Any suggestions on how to go about finding a group? We've mostly just done solo player stuff to pass the time, but a bigger group sounds more fun.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-09-26, 08:31 PM
Finding people to play with can be tough; the only real way to do so is ask people if they're interested. I'm guessing that you're not in school or college anymore? That's honestly the best time, most likely, since you've got such a large density of people sharing common spaces. Asking your friends can be surprisingly useful, but you said you don't have many friends...

Aside from just asking friends or people if they want to play, the only things I can think of would be posting ads around town or online for local play. You CAN post in the Finding Players section looking for local players, but I'm not so sure you'd have good chances of finding people who live nearby, and you say you've tried already.

Sadly, there's not much else you can do. Don't count out people who haven't played; I first got into the hobby because I asked two friends, "Have you heard of D&D? Have you ever wanted to play?"

kyoryu
2013-09-26, 08:37 PM
Even if you're not compatible with all of the people at the FLGS, a post may be good. You can always sift through the responses to find appropriate matches.

Also, check for meetup groups in your area.

ManifestPR
2013-09-26, 08:42 PM
If you're willing to do a skype game I'm pretty sure you will find other people willing to play. I once used a website called nearbygamers and managed to meet up with two guys and run a couple of games that eventually died out since we were all students at the time.

Sajiri
2013-09-26, 09:11 PM
I'll also add in since I didn't outright say it, I'm shy. While I still would like to play with the DM, finding another group who's actually active feels like it would open up so many options, but I dont feel comfortable looking without anyone I know with me (mostly I worry about getting rules and stuff wrong and needing to have things explained)

It's not that I don't have friends, it's just that they either aren't interested in D&D, or they've moved away. I'm not in school/college, and there's only 2 other people at work with me so meeting new people is limited.

Mr Beer
2013-09-26, 10:17 PM
I'll also add in since I didn't outright say it, I'm shy. While I still would like to play with the DM, finding another group who's actually active feels like it would open up so many options, but I dont feel comfortable looking without anyone I know with me

Get over it or accept that you're going to find it extremely difficult to get a game in.

I had to create a gaming group from scratch in Sydney, I don't find it particularly easy to meet a bunch of people I don't know from a bar of soap but it was that or not game.

EDIT

If you don't want to go to a private home with a bunch of neckbeards you don't know, which I can understand, seek out public gaming venues in shops, libraries and the like.

Arcane_Snowman
2013-09-26, 10:22 PM
Edit: having reread the OP, I'm just going to change things about a bit to give a relevant answer.

It can take some time to get a dedicated group together, and you'll have to keep on trying. If you're going to get people who you don't personally know into the group, perhaps there's a venue such as library or gaming store which will facilitate your game as to make for a less personal venue.

Erasmas
2013-09-27, 12:05 AM
Many times the gaming shops will also have a bulletin board type thing where you can either check on fliers or put up some of your own.

As for the GM that wouldn't run you because you've never played before, I say bad form. Somebody likely took him in at some point and taught him how to play, so shame on him for not being willing to do the same. Personally, I love having new players at my table - they are often full of enthusiasm and are awed by the experience, which is something that long-time players start to lack after years of playing. And you should never, ever, worry about asking questions... that is how you learn and improve on what you know. Just as your character starts out at a low level and earns experience through hardship and failure - so does a player.

I would offer you a chair at my table, but I am half a world away, so it would sadly do you little good. However, I wish you the best of luck!

tasw
2013-09-27, 01:51 AM
I have a confession to make. Despite hanging out in the gaming section all the time since I've joined, I've played very little in the way of tabletop gaming..as in, I could count all my sessions on 2 hands.

The main issue is, finding people to play with is hard. I've read hundreds of d&d books, and I had a pretty good grasp on the rules before I even thought about playing, but I've never really found a group of people to sit down and play with. My DM previously had an RL group he played with weekly (as a player), but that DM didn't want to dm for me as I'd never played before (which is how I get my current DM). We tried getting friends together to play, but I guess irl RPGs just aren't a big thing where I live. We tried getting friends we know online together, but there were always timezone issues. We tried recruiting people out of our friendship circle, including from this site, but again, timing issues, or people just stop showing up.

I dont really like playing online anyway, and would like to find a sitdown group if possible, but with no friends interested Im not sure what to do. There's only one gaming shop within reasonable distance, but seems most people there are considerably younger than us (school-aged) and dont play what we're into. There's supposedly an older group that shows up to play D&D, and my DM once suggested we go and sit there to watch and try to meet them but that just feels....weird...to me.

Any suggestions on how to go about finding a group? We've mostly just done solo player stuff to pass the time, but a bigger group sounds more fun.

1. Find the old DM and tell him to stop being a douchebag. Helping interested new players into the hobby is part of the job of every DM if we want TTRPG's to stay around for our kids.

2. Meetup.com.

It exists in Australia, if no group exists in your area start one. Other people like you who havent been able to find a game will drift in. You might have to start small, and make compromises but every mountain is built on a million grains of sand.

3. Ignore your FLGS.

Maybe this is my personal experience but even living in a fairly urban area (4 million population within 20 miles) not a single thing, from a single FLGS in town over 15 years now led to anything productive. Not posting ads or answering them. The best was a Larper who showed up drunk and started immediate PvP because thats what they do.

One of my players even works at a popular FLGS for 4 months now and hasnt come up with anything better then the larper.

Screw em. Go online and make your own group in a place full of people who are looking for a way to talk about this stuff.

Also start a google hangout about it whenever your sitting at home with nothing to do but hang out and chat. It can be surprisingly productive.

oudeis
2013-09-27, 02:39 AM
Is it acceptable etiquette to post links to another gaming site that might be able to help the OP?

Kol Korran
2013-09-27, 04:07 AM
When I got back to RPGs after a long hiatus I had a hard time finding a group. Above university age there is a considerable lessening of gamers (At least in my country). However, I was directed to the RPG community's sites of my country (Didn't have them as a kid), which supported a large database of gamers of various systems, ages and preferences looking to game.

I found my current group through it, and I know quite a few other people who found groups through it too. I suggest perhaps searching on the net for people, it's also easier to do on the net (You can probably direct them to your DM for a more "in person" talk). You night be surprised.

Another idea that has been mentioned is to post an add at your local gaming shop. Or maybe ask the clerks there of any groups that might be starting to organize?

Best of luck to you, it may take time, just keep your options open! :smallsmile:

Firest Kathon
2013-09-27, 05:45 AM
My suggestion: have a look at the Pathfinder Society events page (Australia: September (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/events#Australia-9), October (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/events#Australia-10)) to see if any are in your area. Even if it is not the system you want to play, playing a few sessions would be a way to meet other TTRPG players and either find a group that way, or get contacts to other groups.