PDA

View Full Version : So I fill my boots with dirt and attack ....

CyberThread
2013-09-26, 10:49 PM
So in general Stone Dragon strikes require you to be standing on "Ground"

ground 1 (ground)
n.
a. The solid surface of the earth.
b. The floor of a body of water, especially the sea.
2. Soil; earth:

So....If I put dirt at the bottom of my shoes or boots, and walk around in it, and can ..... I use stone dragon maneuvers wherever I feel like it?

Devronq
2013-09-26, 10:57 PM
So i think fluff-wise you are intended to be standing on soild earth for leverage reasons. I don't think this ever was an intention so regardless of what other people say next i think the only real answers is "ask your DM" as this is a lose interpretation. Although its not broken or super powerful or anything id still say no.

Also should the title be fill your boots not feel your boots?

John Longarrow
2013-09-26, 11:12 PM
CyberDrag
If you are going that way, why not just run some flour through a mill and put that in? Its "Ground".

CyberThread
2013-09-26, 11:20 PM
everytime I walk, I don't want a big puff of white stuff

gorfnab
2013-09-26, 11:21 PM
CyberDrag
If you are going that way, why not just run some flour through a mill and put that in? Its "Ground".
Coffee is in Arms & Equipment guide. Brew up a pot in the morning and stick the grounds (after they've dried) in your boots.

Psyren
2013-09-26, 11:47 PM
Dirt in the shoes is a common tactic for Earth Power as well.

Gadora
2013-09-26, 11:49 PM
Coffee is in Arms & Equipment guide. Brew up a pot in the morning and stick the grounds (after they've dried) in your boots.

Sure, but be careful to get only one bit. Otherwise you're standing on grounds, not ground.

Saintheart
2013-09-26, 11:50 PM
I suppose you could get your parents to impose teenage discipline on you. If your character is grounded, you are always in touch with the ground.

gooddragon1
2013-09-26, 11:54 PM
I suppose you could get your parents to impose teenage discipline on you. If your character is grounded, you are always in touch with the ground.

Wear a rubber suit. You'll be grounded against electricity.

CyberThread
2013-09-27, 12:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TJFmErG.jpg

ddude987
2013-09-27, 12:29 AM
But if we were at the punpun stage in a thread we wouldn't need to talk about martial maneuvers

Twilightwyrm
2013-09-27, 12:42 AM
Hell, you don't even need dirt in your boots. Just having them stained with grease or dirt would make them "soiled".

lsfreak
2013-09-27, 12:48 AM
Back to topic, I wouldn't be opposed to this just because Stone Dragon's limitation is completely ridiculous. As DM I'd rather just nix the limitation than resort to this level of rules-lawyery.

Comic source: http://somethingofthatilk.com/index.php?id=403

Spuddles
2013-09-27, 12:52 AM
everytime I walk, I don't want a big puff of white stuff

that's what she said

Rubik
2013-09-27, 12:53 AM
Well, you could be a dvati and keep one body somewhere safe -- on the ground. Or you could be a planar shepherd and use your bubble for the plane of earth. There's also an acorn of far travel. The ground is generally under the limbs of an oak, right?

Immabozo
2013-09-27, 01:15 AM
Just name your boots ground. Then you will always stand on them.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-27, 01:39 AM
Or dump Int and Wis to the point you can't tell the ground apart from any other surface.

Rubik
2013-09-27, 01:47 AM
Does "grinding" count? Because if so...

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-27, 01:58 AM
One step further! Be undead/ Tomb tainted and put Black sand in yer shoes.

(Un)Inspired
2013-09-27, 02:28 AM
Just make sure that all this power you get from stone dragon doesn't go to your head.

Just don't get any unrealistic expectation. You know, "Keep you feet on the ground"

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-27, 09:05 AM
I love you guys!

Zaq
2013-09-27, 11:21 AM
I've had a GM say that if you have a stone from the Elemental Plane of Earth on your person (slotless, like a spell component pouch), it counted as close enough for Stone Dragon. It cost something like 25-50 GP; not something your average Joe will have, but trivial for an adventurer. I thought that was a cute way of mitigating the restriction without eliminating the flavor.

I forget if any stone would do, or if it was a certain stone that was still common on the EPoE, but it was no harder to buy than a spell component pouch or a healer's kit.

Segev
2013-09-27, 03:53 PM
"Boss, we did like you said, and put that stool pidgeon in a pair of cement shoes."

"Excellent. Now he will never both--"

"Sir, turns out, he was a master of Stone Dragon style."

*G-rated curse:* "Oh, snickerdoodles."

Big Fau
2013-09-28, 07:41 AM
Truthfully, the implications behind Stone Dragon's limitation are asinine. The discipline isn't even remotely supernatual (the PrC for it is), so why would they put a supernatual limitation on it?

danzibr
2013-09-28, 08:24 AM
So in general Stone Dragon strikes require you to be standing on "Ground"

ground 1 (ground)
n.
a. The solid surface of the earth.
b. The floor of a body of water, especially the sea.
2. Soil; earth:

So....If I put dirt at the bottom of my shoes or boots, and walk around in it, and can ..... I use stone dragon maneuvers wherever I feel like it?
Well, humans are mostly water, so a loose interpretation of the phrase "body of water" might make it work. Assuming your floor is your the bottom of your feet, which you always stand on?

Devronq
2013-09-28, 12:46 PM
Truthfully, the implications behind Stone Dragon's limitation are asinine. The discipline isn't even remotely supernatual (the PrC for it is), so why would they put a supernatual limitation on it?

I always felt that for fluff reasons you needed the leverage of standing firmly on the ground to do those stone dragon things which seems logical as opposed to a random supernatural reason. Again no reason not to ignore it its not going to break anything like I said.

Tim Proctor
2013-09-28, 01:28 PM
I would just use armor (that included boots) made of stone or dirt like Earthplate Armor (MIC p 17), or anything that gives stone skin would work also like The Greater Boots of the Mountain King (MIC 78).

lsfreak
2013-09-28, 01:38 PM
I always felt that for fluff reasons you needed the leverage of standing firmly on the ground to do those stone dragon things which seems logical as opposed to a random supernatural reason. Again no reason not to ignore it its not going to break anything like I said.

The rules problem comes in defining "ground." Obviously it won't work while flying, but what if you're on a glacier? Is Stone Dragon failing to work the first clue you're on the back of a giant turtle and not an island?

And more seriously, what if you're up a watchtower? What about on the second floor of the castle, or for that matter, any floor of the castle? Do those count as "ground" because you're standing on something solid? Does the stone floor of the castle count but the wooden floor of the watchtower doesn't? A strict RAW reading of that one line of fluff-made-rules might mean Stone Dragon is fine when you're outside or in a cave, but being indoors or standing on a structure makes it useless.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-28, 01:43 PM
Or worse, a plush lawn. Your standing on top of the plants after all...

Big Fau
2013-09-28, 02:33 PM

As others have pointed out it does cause problems during encounters (flight being the biggest issue). However, I'm also inclined to disagree with your interpretations for two reasons:

Unlike with other disciplines, adepts of this school rely on an external force— the power of the earth and stone—to help power their maneuvers. As a result, Stone Dragon maneuvers can be initiated only if you are in contact with the ground.

Reason 2 is the artwork on page 85. At least someone on the development team initially intended for Stone Dragon to be an SU school, and that the results of that intent were not fully excised during editing (along with the book's subtle references to being Psionic in origin).