PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of wild shaping ranger

Totema
2013-09-26, 11:25 PM
Hi all,

I've become very interested in a Master of All Forms build, but I need a teeny bit of clarification regarding entering it as a wild shaping ranger, from UA. First, what level would the ranger actually gain wild shape? My understanding tells me that he would get it in exchange for his first combat style ability, so at level 2, but I've read differently elsewhere. And this seems strange to me considering that druid only gets it at 5th level. Secondly, would you use the ranger's current level for determining the duration and frequency of wild shape, as you would for a druid? For example, would a 10th level ranger be able to wild shape 4 times a day for 10 hours each time?

eggynack
2013-09-26, 11:29 PM
You get it at level five, and with the same duration and frequency as normal wild shape. As the section that variant is from says, "A class feature gained works just as it did for its original class, including the level at which it is gained and any other effects, except as noted below." The only difference between this and normal wild shape is that you never advance beyond small and medium animals, though that issue is removed through MoMF.

Totema
2013-09-26, 11:31 PM
Ahh, that somewhat limits my options then. But thanks very much!

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-27, 01:33 AM
Aberrant Wildshape should fix it too, at least for aberrant shapes.

Coidzor
2013-09-27, 03:03 AM
Hi all,

I've become very interested in a Master of All Forms build, but I need a teeny bit of clarification regarding entering it as a wild shaping ranger, from UA. First, what level would the ranger actually gain wild shape? My understanding tells me that he would get it in exchange for his first combat style ability, so at level 2, but I've read differently elsewhere. And this seems strange to me considering that druid only gets it at 5th level.

Yes, you lose the combat style feat at 2nd level and gain wild shape at the same level as a druid.

If you need wildshape faster for earlier entry into Master of Many Forms, you'll want to have something like Divine Minion (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a). But that has its own issues.

Secondly, would you use the ranger's current level for determining the duration and frequency of wild shape, as you would for a druid? For example, would a 10th level ranger be able to wild shape 4 times a day for 10 hours each time?

Exactly.

PaucaTerrorem
2013-09-27, 09:30 AM
Where do I find this variant?

Karnith
2013-09-27, 09:49 AM
Where do I find this variant?
The Wild Shape Ranger variant is on the SRD here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger), and can also be found in Unearthed Arcana on page 58.

Chronos
2013-09-27, 10:03 AM
You also get fast movement as a barbarian, and that kicks in before you even lose anything, at level 1.

Also note, if you stay in ranger past level 5, you have to give up all of your combat style feats, not just the first one.