PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Guns vs. Archery for Bard

Straymind
2013-09-27, 12:37 AM
I'm rolling up a noir Detective (the archetype) Bard for Shattered Star, my question is this: Should I focus on archery for damage dealing when I'm not casting spells or guns from the amateur gunslinger feat.

Pros and Cons (as far as I can tell)

Archery: Needs to hit AC, requires 2 hands to fire, less feats required for viability, easier full attacks.

Guns: Louder, Hits touch, flashier, more prone to cheesy one liners, slower reloads, feat heavy.

The attributes will be point buy (25 points) and I will not be the primary skill monkey, allowing me to focus on flexibility.

Baroncognito
2013-09-27, 01:07 AM
Pros and Cons (as far as I can tell)

Archery: Needs to hit AC, requires 2 hands to fire, less feats required for viability, easier full attacks.

Guns: Louder, Hits touch, flashier, more prone to cheesy one liners, slower reloads, feat heavy.

I think honestly the biggest drawback to Guns you didn't even touch on: Cost.

Arrows, common (20) 1 gp

Firearm bullet (1) 1 gp
Black powder (dose) 10 gp

Bhaakon
2013-09-27, 01:20 AM
Agreed with the first poster. Guns are workable for Gunslingers because they get the huge ammo discount. I generally don't suggest non-Gunslinger firearm builds without the benefit of Commonplace guns (which lowers prices and gives everyone firearm proficiency).

That being said, a 1-level dip in Mysterious Stranger will get you firearm proficiency, cheap crafting, a free gun (if it's first level), and focused aim as a nice damage booster. If you want to use guns, that's probably the best way to go.

Straymind
2013-09-27, 02:21 AM
I hadn't considered splashing, it would make for an interesting build considering i'd be behind in my already lax spell casting but ahead in damage, which might be what our party will need