PDA

View Full Version : How to get permanent haste?

Eaglejarl
2013-09-27, 02:40 AM
I'm writing a fanfic (shameless plug: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9669819/1/The-Two-Year-Emperor) in which there is a group of elite bodyguards who are loaded down with magic and whatnot. I'm looking for a way to give them a permanent, continuous Haste (or, better yet, Greater Haste) effect. So far, my Google-fu has been weak on this one.

Ideal would be if it could be through something that cannot be easily removed by an enemy (e.g., a permanent spell, a magical tattoo, etc).

Any suggestions?

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-27, 02:43 AM
They sound like Swiftblades to me:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327

Find some good Swiftblade builds and go from there.

See

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=333.0

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-27, 02:56 AM
Swiftblade's don't get permanent haste.

The easiest way to make Haste permanent is to have a deity with the Alter Reality Salient Divine Ability make it so.

If these are royal/imperial guards than this can make sense. The "Divine Right" of the King/Emperor is a lot more real than the norm and said ruler, along with their elite guard are actually blessed by a deity with permanent magical effects that normally couldn't be made so (such as haste).

The only other way to actually get a Permanent Haste effect is to create an epic Origin of the Species spell that has, as an Ex ability, a Quickened Haste ability (using the Transport seed) and then making the guards that species.

You can do lots of fun things with this trick but you need a DM willing to go along with it. Arguably you might just be able to make a permanent Haste spell using the Transport seed, ask your DM for his opinion on that one.

Those are the only ways to do "permanent" haste.

Persistent Haste is a lot easier though. Just make an auto reset trap of Persistent Haste that hits whoever activates it and then run the guards through it every day. All day haste for each of them, and its not that expensive an item.

Vaz
2013-09-27, 04:00 AM
Can haste be persisted? The level variable range suggests otherwise.

Eaglejarl
2013-09-27, 04:02 AM
Swiftblade's don't get permanent haste.

The easiest way to make Haste permanent is to have a deity with the Alter Reality Salient Divine Ability make it so.

If these are royal/imperial guards than this can make sense. The "Divine Right" of the King/Emperor is a lot more real than the norm and said ruler, along with their elite guard are actually blessed by a deity with permanent magical effects that normally couldn't be made so (such as haste).

The only other way to actually get a Permanent Haste effect is to create an epic Origin of the Species spell that has, as an Ex ability, a Quickened Haste ability (using the Transport seed) and then making the guards that species.

You can do lots of fun things with this trick but you need a DM willing to go along with it. Arguably you might just be able to make a permanent Haste spell using the Transport seed, ask your DM for his opinion on that one.

Those are the only ways to do "permanent" haste.

Persistent Haste is a lot easier though. Just make an auto reset trap of Persistent Haste that hits whoever activates it and then run the guards through it every day. All day haste for each of them, and its not that expensive an item.

Fantastic, the divine ability should work nicely.

Key fact that I foolishly forgot to mention: these bodyguards are an order of paladins. (Rather different from the run-of-the-mill paladin character, though -- they aren't Lawful Stupid.) The nation has a dominant church whose deity might well have set this up for them in the past. The only trick is that there are generally about two thousand Landguard at a time and they've existed for 800 years, so there has to be a recurring way to imbue the new recruits. I'm thinking something like a carefully-guarded magical fountain; anyone who bathes in it is permanently hasted, due to a deity using Alter Reality on it centuries ago.

Is there anything in the strictest reading of RAW (which is what my world runs on) that makes that unworkable? If I consider the water in the fountain to consist of potions of haste, then the deity could have rendered it permanent, right?

Thanks very much for helping me out with this; it's a fairly key part of the story, and I've been trying to figure out how to justify it.

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-27, 04:17 AM
Make the fountain an artifact and it works just fine.

Alter Reality can't do what you want, it needs to be applied directly by the deity.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-09-27, 04:47 AM

Traditionally no, however I believe an Archivist could learn ranger spells giving them access to swift haste. (which is personal and last only one round) and persist that. However that doesn't help the OP.

Of course just like Giant is free to ignore D&D rules whenever its inconvenient so should this author. He's writing a story not and adventure.

Seffbasilisk
2013-09-27, 05:59 AM
Find a plane where time moves faster, and the effect is identical to haste. Find an Oak on this plane. Cast 'Acorn of Far Travel' on one of the oak's acorn. Take Acorn with you.

Giggle.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-27, 06:35 AM
Haste cannot be persisted, but the lower level Swift Haste spell is personal range and can thus be persisted. It can be done by a ranger with metamagic reduction, or by the mystic ranger ACF's.

Other options include the following

Chameleons can cast it as a 5th level spell by ECL 14

Archivists can do so by 9th.

Trinoya
2013-09-27, 08:05 AM
Depending on how much money is being thrown at them, in theory you could just make an item that had haste always on for them. It'd be quite expensive though.

Snowbluff
2013-09-27, 08:13 AM

Anything can with Occular spell!

JeenLeen
2013-09-27, 08:27 AM
I don't recommend this over the magic fountain idea, but in the Epic handbook, there's some boots (I forget the name) that give Haste so many rounds/minutes per day that it's essentially persistent, at least for a few encounters per day.
(Also gives something like +20 or +30 to Balance, Tumble, and some other agility-based abilities.)

That's giving people epic-level loot worth a ton, but if nobody is willing to buy it (or at least at listed cost) due to the danger of having stolen from this paladin order, that's fine.
Or have a pre-req added to them that the boots only work for members of such-and-such an organization. UMD could fool it, I guess, but that'd make it safer.

Segev
2013-09-27, 08:32 AM
3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 2000 (continuous) x 4 (1 round/level) = 120,000 gp for a pair of boots or bracers that grant Haste as a continuous bonus.

Karnith
2013-09-27, 08:36 AM
I don't recommend this over the magic fountain idea, but in the Epic handbook, there's some boots (I forget the name) that give Haste so many rounds/minutes per day that it's essentially persistent, at least for a few encounters per day.
(Also gives something like +20 or +30 to Balance, Tumble, and some other agility-based abilities.)
The item in question: Boots of Swiftness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSwiftness), which grants a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, doubles your speed, gives you evasion, gives you a +20 competence bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, and lets you use haste 3/day for 20 rounds each.

Also, they cost 256,000 gold, which is something of an obstacle.

zabbarot
2013-09-27, 08:38 AM
Would permanent haste age a character faster? I feel like it should from a roleplayers standpoint. Could be an interesting point in your fanfic.

Segev
2013-09-27, 08:39 AM
The item in question: Boots of Swiftness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSwiftness), which grants a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, doubles your speed, gives you evasion, gives you a +20 competence bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, and lets you use haste 3/day for 20 rounds each.

Also, they cost 256,000 gold, which is something of an obstacle.

That's a pretty awful magic item, particularly for epic. The only reason its price goes up that high is the skill bonuses. See my post above yours for calculation of a continuous-active Haste item's price per the rules.

Andezzar
2013-09-27, 08:44 AM
3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 2000 (continuous) x 4 (1 round/level) = 120,000 gp for a pair of boots or bracers that grant Haste as a continuous bonus.Make it use activated and you do not suffer the x4 modifier. :smallbiggrin:

Segev
2013-09-27, 08:50 AM
Make it use activated and you do not suffer the x4 modifier. :smallbiggrin:

You're thinking command-activated. "Use-activated" on items such as this are equivalent in all ways to continuous, because there's no meaningful time they're not "activated."

Command-activated is an option, though it means they need to take a standard action every 5 rounds to turn it back on if they want to keep it going, and have to spend a standard action buffing at the start of each fight.

Cost would be: 27,000 gp. Not bad at all, really.

Make the item intelligent and it can activate itself... +1,000 gp for intelligence, +1,000 gp for the cheapest lesser power (call it Bless 3/day)...

29,000 gp, and the item can Bless its wearer 3/day, and since it's intelligent, it can activate its Haste power with its own action. Have to stay on decent terms with it to keep it cooperative, though.

Andezzar
2013-09-27, 09:06 AM
You're thinking command-activated. "Use-activated" on items such as this are equivalent in all ways to continuous, because there's no meaningful time they're not "activated."No I'm not. Table 7-33 on p. 285 of the DMG lists Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp as cost for use-activated and continuous items. The annotation for modified cost based on the duration of the spell only applies to continuous items:
If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.

There is a subtle difference between an item that continuously grants the benefits of haste and an item that grants those benefits if the item is used.

Command-activated is an option, though it means they need to take a standard action every 5 rounds to turn it back on if they want to keep it going, and have to spend a standard action buffing at the start of each fight.There are magic items that are command activated by swift and immediate actions in the MIC and other books. Unfortunately there are no guidelines for pricing such items.

Cost would be: 27,000 gp. Not bad at all, really.

Make the item intelligent and it can activate itself... +1,000 gp for intelligence, +1,000 gp for the cheapest lesser power (call it Bless 3/day)...

29,000 gp, and the item can Bless its wearer 3/day, and since it's intelligent, it can activate its Haste power with its own action. Have to stay on decent terms with it to keep it cooperative, though.Sounds good, especially if the intelligent items actually have the goal of protecting the ruler.

Person_Man
2013-09-27, 09:21 AM
It's fanfic. Why are you limiting yourself to the broken in game physics of 3.5 D&D? You are the god of your fictional world. If you want a character to do X, have them do X. If you want to set up an internally consistent set of magical rules, then set forth those rules in the narrative of your story.

Having your story follow an internal set of rules that you're breaking by finding an obscure work around does nothing positive. It seems less consistent to the readers ("Wait, I thought he established that the Haste spell only lasts for a short period of time...") without making the story or the characters more fantastic or compelling (Gandalf can just use magic to do whatever the plot demands, because he's awesome and the limits of magic are poorly defined).

Chronos
2013-09-27, 09:34 AM
Another persistable option is to use the cleric spell Righteous Wrath of the Faithful instead of Haste. It doesn't give the movement speed boost, but it gives the same extra attack, and also a +3 morale to attack and damage.

Uhtred
2013-09-27, 09:34 AM
If what you want is a speedster, then I'd like to put forward Pathfinder's Quicklings as the race of your guards. 120ft movement speed, evasion and uncanny dodge racially, fey shenanigans, blur, invisibility, and did I mention the 120ft movement speed? Pop some class levels on them, beef them up with magic items, and you have elite guards that move faster than the eye can see, hit hard despite being small, and are almost impossible to hit back. Heck, have them be scouts so they skirmish and get fast movement, boots of speed for further speed nonsense. Gaaaaah.

amalcon
2013-09-27, 09:42 AM
There are various Pun-Pun-like tricks to get an infinite or arbitrarily high caster level for a spell. In one interpretation, it's as simple as Omniscifier UMDing a Staff of Haste. If you don't subscribe to that interpretation, there are still options such as <insert way to get many HD here> + War Chanter + Abjurant Champion combo. Alternatively, if we're talking about an artifact like your fountain, you could just give the artifact an arbitrarily high caster level.

Haste has a duration of one round per caster level. You see where I'm going with this.

A caster level of 632 million is sufficient for a Haste spell to last a human's entire natural life (110 years, given a normal max age).

There is no such thing as an uncapped dispel in 3.5 D&D. For this reason, due to the high caster level, the only things that can suppress or dispel this Haste effect are:
- Dead magic zones
- Antimagic Field and derivatives
- Mordenkainen's Disjunction
- An epic Dispel costing about 5.6 trillion GP would do it for the finite version; this is impossible for the Omniscifier version. This spell would take 113 million days and 227 billion XP to develop. It could of course be cast with the same omniscifier trick.
- Of course, killing the subject would also work.

Only two of these attacks (death and disjunction) are practical: AMF and dead magic can be avoided, and only suppress. The epic dispel costs an incomprehensible amount of resources -- we're talking on the scale of entire nations working for tens of thousands of years.

An effect that can be removed by literally one published effect (a level nine spell, at that) probably does not count as easy to remove. If that's still too much, make the caster a Dweomerkeeper: (Su) effects are not subject to Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

edit: Tar Palantir is quite correct that a Truenamer could also dispel this effect. The Dweomerkeeper trick also fixes that, though it's probably not needed if Truenamers are rare.

Tar Palantir
2013-09-27, 09:50 AM
There is no such thing as an uncapped dispel in 3.5 D&D.

Except for Truenamers.

Chronos
2013-09-27, 10:20 AM
Or for spellcasters using truename spells.

Segev
2013-09-27, 10:23 AM
Alright. Define how a pair of boots or a pair of bracers or whatever you want the item to be is "used" such that it is activated, and how that differs in any practical fashion from being "continuous."

"Use-activated" is pretty much for items which trigger under specific conditions but need not be on constantly, or which cannot be on constantly (e.g. because they cast instantaneous spells).

amalcon
2013-09-27, 10:30 AM
Alright. Define how a pair of boots or a pair of bracers or whatever you want the item to be is "used" such that it is activated, and how that differs in any practical fashion from being "continuous."Clicking the heels together?

Segev
2013-09-27, 10:31 AM
Clicking the heels together?

I know this was sarcasm, but it illustrates the issue nicely: that is a perfectly valid command-activation, and would typically take a Standard Action to perform.

Andezzar
2013-09-27, 11:06 AM
I know this was sarcasm, but it illustrates the issue nicely: that is a perfectly valid command-activation, and would typically take a Standard Action to perform.Yes, but the usage could be moving (not necessarily performing a move action), fighting, being on guard or whatever. It makes much more sense being use activated, if you do not say it grants haste, but a 30 ft speed increase when moving, a +1 bonus to attack rolls when attacking, a +1 Dodge bonus to AC whne being attacked and an extra attack on a full attack (and whatever I might have forgotten).

Also there need not necessarily be a functional difference between use activated and continuous items. Simply designating the item as use activated would be enough. So it is a decision of the creator whether he makes an item that continuously grants the benefits of haste, or an item that grants those benefits by wearing it.

Segev
2013-09-27, 11:11 AM
Yes, but the usage could be moving (not necessarily performing a move action), fighting, being on guard or whatever. It makes much more sense being use activated, if you do not say it grants haste, but a 30 ft speed increase when moving, a +1 bonus to attack rolls when attacking, a +1 Dodge bonus to AC whne being attacked and an extra attack on a full attack (and whatever I might have forgotten).Each of which has their own separate costs, and would be...complex...to add together on an item.

Also there need not necessarily be a functional difference between use activated and continuous items. Simply designating the item as use activated would be enough. So it is a decision of the creator whether he makes an item that continuously grants the benefits of haste, or an item that grants those benefits by wearing it.So, basically, your argument is that anybody making a cts item for anything less than a 24 hour duration is a sucker, and the rules for less than 1 hour/level spells in cts items are never intended to be used?

Seriously, there is a reason the two are listed together. They're essentially the same thing, but some items have extremely clear use-actions and wouldn't "need" to have active effects (or wouldn't make sense to) under most circumstances.

Trying to designate every item as "use-activated" to avoid the multiplier cost is not going to fly (literally or figuratively) when your "use" is essentially "having the item on your person." "Standing guard" is not a definable "use." "Moving" is, but effectively means "always on." i.e. continuous.

Douglas
2013-09-27, 11:22 AM
I know this was sarcasm, but it illustrates the issue nicely: that is a perfectly valid command-activation, and would typically take a Standard Action to perform.
Actually, it's used in the perfect example (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) of a use-activated RAW fully-written item, and that item has it explicitly as a free action.

Segev
2013-09-27, 11:25 AM
Actually, it's used in the perfect example (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsofSpeed) of a use-activated RAW fully-written item, and that item has it explicitly as a free action.

You have a point. I think that item is totally ad hoc'd for cost. If not, I can't immediately figure out the pricing formula used.

Bronk
2013-09-27, 11:31 AM
If this is fan-fiction, you might consider just going with the NWN version of boots of speed, which are continuous use.

Also, there is the "monster of legend" template, and continuous 'haste' is one of the powers that it can grant.

Andezzar
2013-09-27, 11:33 AM
I'm saying that the rules give no guidelines when which type of item is supposed to be used. So either choice is just as valid, unless the GM fiats something else (which of course he can do).

Of the top of my head two items does not have the cost multiplier for duration despite "clearly" being continuous items most likely there are many others: pectoral of maneuverability (Draconomicon p. 83) and its greater cousin.

It is the continuous application of the (greater) wings of air spell. This should cost 2spell level x 3CL x 2000 gp x 2duration 1min/level = 24000 gp. Yet it only costs 12000 gp. The same goes for the greater cousin (90k gp vs. 180k gp)*

The rules are silent how the cost was deduced. It could either be that the designers judged it a use activated item (unless the wearer flies, it does nothing) or they added a 0.5 modifier because they fiated that the items are not worth more.
___
* Greater Wings of Air was updated in the SpC to a level 4 spell, but the item was created when it was a level 5 spell

You have a point. I think that item is totally ad hoc'd for cost. If not, I can't immediately figure out the pricing formula used.3spell level x 10CL for 10 rounds x 2000 gp use activated /5 1 charge/day + 0 ability to distribute the duration = 12000 gp.

ericp65
2013-09-27, 12:21 PM
That's a pretty awful magic item, particularly for epic. The only reason its price goes up that high is the skill bonuses. See my post above yours for calculation of a continuous-active Haste item's price per the rules.

How is it awful, and what would you change about it to make it "epic"?

ericp65
2013-09-27, 12:23 PM
The bodyguards could be Quicklings, could they not?

Lilapop
2013-09-27, 12:46 PM
You have a point. I think that item is totally ad hoc'd for cost. If not, I can't immediately figure out the pricing formula used.
To me, it looks like the constant for "full duration of a single charge, spread out by activating/deactivating as free action" is 2000.

3 (spell level) * 10 (caster level) * 2000 / 5 (only one charge) = 12000

On the "use-activated" vs "continuous" discussion: I think the clue is the example given on the table. The Lantern of Revealing has a clear definition of what counts as use - it only works "when [it] is lit". This points at "use" referring to tools, and "continuous" meaning equippable gear.

e: Now that I actually read Andezzar's calculations... the math matches, but I would put the mechanic on Boots of Speed as a sub-form of "command-activated".

Eaglejarl
2013-09-27, 03:49 PM
3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) x 2000 (continuous) x 4 (1 round/level) = 120,000 gp for a pair of boots or bracers that grant Haste as a continuous bonus.

Ah, perfect! I'll have it cast on a pendant shaped like a needle. They can take it off the chain and insert it under their skin. It will still take up the amulet slot, but can't be removed in combat.

As to having the effect suppressed by dispel magic or such; I'm ok with that. It sounds like it has pretty interesting possibilities, actually.

Would permanent haste age a character faster? I feel like it should from a roleplayers standpoint. Could be an interesting point in your fanfic.

Great minds think alike; I was planning on this. You're right, it's a fascinating little bit of color, and it's exactly the sort of thing that these paladins would be willing to accept in exchange for better protecting their charge.

It's fanfic. Why are you limiting yourself to the broken in game physics of 3.5 D&D? You are the god of your fictional world. If you want a character to do X, have them do X. If you want to set up an internally consistent set of magical rules, then set forth those rules in the narrative of your story.

You're absolutely right, I could do this, and I am doing it for a few things. But I'm trying not to do it very much; it's something of a challenge to myself to stick close to the RAW and yet still tell a good story. (If you check out the link in my original post you can tell me if I've succeeded. :> )

Use quicklings as the race of the paladins.

Ooh, this would have been fantastic, I wish I'd thought of it. Unfortunately, they are pretty well established as a human organization...well, at least all the main characters are human. Maybe I'll start branching out and having some quicklings in the ranks. Thanks for the suggestion everyone!

I really appreciate everyone's help on this. It's a bit tricky writing a "make fun of how exploitable the RAW are" fic when I haven't played since 2nd Ed and don't own the books.

captain fubar
2013-09-27, 05:50 PM
just get an artifacter or trapsmith to make a pair of boots that have haste continuly active. since you are treating it as a first level spell and likely geting further discounts this is a fairly cheap method.

Captnq
2013-09-27, 08:46 PM
Okay, First of all...

HASTE

- PLAYER’S HANDBOOK (3.0)
- PLAYER’S HANDBOOK 1 (3.5)
Transmutation
Level: Bard 3, Beguiler 3, Celerity Domain 4, Corrupt Avenger 3, Emissary of Barachiel 3, Fatemaker 3, Initiate of Amaunator 3, Runescarred Berserker 3, Shugenja 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 3, Telflammar Shadowlord 2, Time Domain 3, Trapsmith 1, Vigilante 3, Wu Jen 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature/level, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The transmuted creatures move and act more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects. When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a weapon of speed, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can’t use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round). A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. All of the hasted creature’s modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for increased speed. Multiple haste effects don’t stack. Haste dispels and counters slow.
Material Component: A shaving of licorice root.
Alternate Material Component: Rare coffee beans [Extended] (850 gp)
Editor (Buff): 30 more feet of movement is sometimes really necessary, especially when half speed tumbling. Get this one on your allies, and you make them that much deadlier. 3.0 haste was crazy, and 3.5 haste is still a great party buff. Oh and it forms the basis of the swiftblade PrC.
Editor (Clarification): There is some confusion as to what that “extra” attack is. It is one extra attack. Period. Not an extra full-attack. It is at your full BAB. You can make your extra attack at any time in the round. If there is some advantage to doing it after all the other attacks are done, you may do it last or first using any weapon you have available, but it is not an actual standard action. You cannot use it to make a move action. You cannot use it to draw a weapon, or scratch your ass. It is an extra attack, ONLY when you make a full attack action. If you are doing a standard and a move action, it then has the benefit of giving you 30 extra feet of movement, but you do not get an extra attack, no matter what you do with your standard action.

Okay, first question is... why?

It's a nice buff spell for low levels, but over all isn't that impressive. +30' when you move or +1 attack when you make a full attack. Somewhat underwhelming.

Here's how you generate extra attacks
WSA Speed (+3 Bonus): gives you an extra attack when ever you make a full attack.
WSA (extrapolated) Off-handed (+3 Bonus): Gives you an extra attack with your off handed weapon only when you make a full attack.
WSA (extrapolated) Raking (+3 Bonus): Gives you an extra attack when you hit with the first blow from your primary and secondary weapon.
WSA (extrapolated) Serpent Tooth (10,000 gp): Gives you flurry of blows usable through the weapon, giving you an extra attack, and a -2 to all attacks that round.

If you are concerned with movement speeds
WSA (extrapolated) Rapid (3,400 gp): Doubles all movement.

Now, as far as increasing movement as an enhancement bonus, it appears that if you want a continuous movement boost, it works out to:

Enhancement Bonus (Movement): Bonus Squared x 30. Max 30'. Body Slot: Arms and Feet.

Yes, there are many spells that you could convert to permanent status, but having examined every single spell in 3.0 and 3.5, I believe when making magic items that continously boost a stat, it's best to go with a exponential increase, sort of like how boosts to Ability scores are: (Boost Squared) x 1,000 gp.

Here. A quick list of every available boost broken down by Stat, bonus type, cost, max bonus, and what body slot you can put it in. Inherent bonuses don't have a body slot, since once they are gained, you can never lose it.

Bonus (type) Cost Max Body Slots
Ability bonus (inherent) Bonus x 27,500 gp 5 Expendable
Ability bonus (profane or sacred) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 6 See below
Ability bonus, Chr (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 6 Hd, S
Ability bonus, Con (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 6 Th, To, W
Ability bonus, Dex (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 6 A, Ft, Ha
Ability bonus, Int (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 6 Fa, Hd
Ability bonus, Str (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 6 A, Ha, W
Ability bonus, Wis (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 6 Hd, Th
AC bonus (deflection) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 5 B, R, S
AC bonus (dodge) None ~ Non-Magical
AC bonus (insight) Bonus squared × 2,500 gp 5 A, B
AC bonus (luck) Bonus squared × 2,500 gp 3 A, B
Armor bonus (base) Cost of material 8 B
Armor bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 5 A, B
Base attack bonus (inherent) Bonus x 27,500 gp 5 Expendable
Bonus Spell Level squared x 1,000 gp 9 Hd
Damage Reduction, All Bonus squared x 3,000 gp 5 To
Damage Reduction, All (inherent) Bonus x 27,500 gp 5 Expendable
DR (Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing) Bonus squared x 1,000 gp 10 To
DR (Good/Evil/Law/Chaos) Bonus squared x 1,500 gp 10 To
DR (Cold Iron/Silver/Adamantine) Bonus squared x 1,500 gp 10 To
DR (Magic) Bonus squared x 1,250 gp 10 To
Initiative (enhancement) Bonus squared x 2,000 gp 6 Ft, Ha, Hd, To
Initiative (inherent) Bonus x 27,500 gp 5 Expendable
Movement (enhancement) Bonus squared x 30 gp 30 A, Ft
Movement (inherent) Bonus x 5,500 gp 25 Expendable
Natural armor bonus (base) None ~ Built In
Natural armor bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 5 B, To
Natural armor bonus (inherent) Bonus x 27,500 gp 5 Expendable
Spell Resistance (Total-12) x 10,000 gp 32 B,Hd,R,S,Th,To
Resistance to energy, 5 (one type) 6,000 gp ~ B, R, S, To
Resistance to energy, 10 (one type) 12,000 gp ~ B, R, S, To1e1
Resistance to energy, 20 (one type) 24,000 gp ~ B, R, S, To
Resistance to energy, 30 (one type) 36,000 gp ~ B, R, S, To
Save bonus (inherent) Bonus x 27,500 gp 5 S, To
Save bonus (insight) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 5 S, To
Save bonus (luck) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 3 S, To
Save bonus (profane or sacred) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 5 S, To
Save bonus (resistance) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 5 S, To
Save bonus, only Fort, Ref, or Will As above / 3 5 S, To
Shield bonus (base) Cost of material 4 Shield
Shield bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp 5 Shield
Skill bonus (competence) Bonus squared × 100 gp 15 Fa,Ft,Ha,Hd,R,To
Skill bonus [multiples of 4] (inherent) Bonus × 27,500 gp 20 Expendable
Skill bonus (insight) Bonus squared × 100 gp 15 Fa,Ft,Ha,Hd,R,To
Skill bonus (luck) Bonus squared × 250 gp 3 Fa,Ft,Ha,Hd,R,To
Skill bonus (profane or sacred) Bonus squared × 150 gp 5 Fa,Ft,Ha,Hd,R,To
Weapon bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 5 Weapon
Weapon bonus (sacred or profane) Bonus squared × 3,000 gp 5 Weapon
Weapon bonus, damage (luck) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 3 Weapon
Weapon bonus, to hit (competence) Bonus squared x 2,000 gp 5 Weapon
Weapon bonus, to hit (luck) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp 3 Weapon

Personally, I hate messing around with Spell Level X CL X 2,000 X Duration Multiplier Crap. Use the Attribute boost table above and it'll be much simpler.

Although, I just noticed something...

Dodge Bonus

A bonus to Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character’s Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have (for instance, you lose any dodge bonuses to AC when you’re flat-footed). Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.

Yet, Haste grants a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex. Right out of the PHB. Last I checked, Haste was a spell.

Eaglejarl
2013-09-27, 11:57 PM
Wow. That's a lot of info...although I didn't follow all of it. What is 'WSA' ? I just Googled, looked up the list of D20 sourcebooks, trolled the d20srd spell list, and checked the list of feats and I can't find it. Also, your giant list of buffs -- is that talking about what can be put in a magic item? Otherwise, I'm not clear on why there are 'cost' and 'body slot' columns. But if it is, I'm not clear on why things like "Armor bonus (base)" are on the list. Please explain?

That said, you raise a good point. I hadn't really thought about "why Haste"; I remember it as being a powerful boost that made a big difference in combat, but I guess it's been nerfed since 2nd ed (or I just don't remember it well).

I haven't gotten to the part of the story where it is stated that the Landguard live under Haste spells, so I still have the choice to change it. What I'm actually trying to achieve is a way to give the Landguard a substantial increase to movement and a significant boost in combat. As you point out, there are probably better ways than Haste.

What would your recommendation be? Money isn't an issue, nor is time to develop magic items -- the Landguard have had the better part of a thousand years to get these things made and stockpile them, and they have the full resources of a large nation to pay for it all. I want to avoid epic (I'm trying to leave epic out of my story, because I'm not familiar with it and I want to simplify a bit), and I loathe psionics (feels too much like a video game to me) so I've simply ruled that they don't exist in my story world.

Andezzar
2013-09-28, 01:07 AM
Wow. That's a lot of info...although I didn't follow all of it. What is 'WSA' ? It's Weapon Special Ability, so all enchantments to a weapon that do not give a +x enhancement bonus to attack and damage like ghost touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#ghostTouchWeapon) or wounding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#wounding).

I remember it as being a powerful boost that made a big difference in combat, but I guess it's been nerfed since 2nd ed (or I just don't remember it well).It has been nerfed in 3.5. In 3.0 (and in editions before it IIRC) it gave an extra standard action, and some numerical bonuses. That was devastating, especially if used on a caster.

What would your recommendation be?Slow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) + Spell Immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellImmunity) at will, either as ability or as an item. If you want to make the guards more powerful, replace spell immunity with Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm).

2xMachina
2013-09-28, 01:16 AM
Do make your paladins get Swiftblade. They benefit immensely from having permanent haste

Andezzar
2013-09-28, 01:38 AM
Do make your paladins get Swiftblade. They benefit immensely from having permanent hasteIs it the paladin class or the mind-set/job description? If it's the former, getting haste on the paladin spell list and battle blessing would also do them good. If it is the later the body guards could well be Fighter/Mages with levels in Swiftblade.

Gavinfoxx
2013-09-28, 01:40 AM
Swiftblades with 2 or 4 levels of paladin are okay.

Andezzar
2013-09-28, 02:09 AM
Swiftblades with 2 or 4 levels of paladin are okay.While I prefer wizard based gished, Sorcadins work as well.

ShurikVch
2013-09-28, 06:15 AM
Permanent (until dispelled or erased) rune of Haste will cost 96000 gp (PGF, Runecaster)

Cave Troll from Tome of Horrors (medium giant, 4 HD, LA +4) have in SQ permanent Haste (su)

Okay, First of all...

HASTE
In 3.0 it was better...
The transmuted creature moves and acts more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.
On his turn, the subject may take an extra partial action, either before or after his regular action.
He gains a +4 haste bonus to AC. He loses this bonus whenever he would lose a dodge bonus.He can jump one and a half times as far as normal. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus.
Haste dispels and counters slow.

Snowbluff
2013-09-28, 08:25 AM
Swiftblades with 2 or 4 levels of paladin are okay.

Eh~ People don't like sacking ninths, so the 10 level of swiftblade and any martial dips are usually subverted.

Eaglejarl
2013-09-28, 09:55 PM
Is it the paladin class or the mind-set/job description? If it's the former, getting haste on the paladin spell list and battle blessing would also do them good. If it is the later the body guards could well be Fighter/Mages with levels in Swiftblade.

Well...they've announced themselves as paladins (the class), but some of them have levels in other things. I hadn't really thought about it, but I suppose the definition I should use is "all members must have levels in paladin, but can multi freely." Also, I think there are some prestige-class paladins? I could have them be those without being inconsistent. Are there any that would be particularly good?

Rubik
2013-09-28, 10:50 PM
A piece of equipment turned into a resetting magical trap of the Temporal Reiteration power (from Complete Psionic) could make any and all effects effectively permanent until dispelled.

Alternately, just make a trap of (Greater) Haste.

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-29, 05:16 AM
Well, we could do the whole haste thing pretty cheep if we broke it into items. A sword of speed covers the extra attack. An item that increases move speed by 30ft covers the movement. Then it's just a minor attack and def boost that should come fairly cheep. Mostly it's the +3 sword that costs, and if you make it intelligent, it becomes worthless as loot.

2xMachina
2013-09-29, 06:43 AM
Permanent (until dispelled or erased) rune of Haste will cost 96000 gp (PGF, Runecaster)

Cave Troll from Tome of Horrors (medium giant, 4 HD, LA +4) have in SQ permanent Haste (su)

In 3.0 it was better...
The transmuted creature moves and acts more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.
On his turn, the subject may take an extra partial action, either before or after his regular action.
He gains a +4 haste bonus to AC. He loses this bonus whenever he would lose a dodge bonus.He can jump one and a half times as far as normal. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus.
Haste dispels and counters slow.

Swiftblade gets pseudo-3.0 haste: at 9th, when hasted, has 1 extra action for standard or move.

Also, haste acts as psuedo blink+displacement, and better freedom of movement. Self casted haste are also EX (undispellable).

My favorite PrC.