PDA

View Full Version : Team Tarquin speculation thread

coineineagh
2013-09-27, 03:33 AM
I'm most interested in what their role in the team is, but any speculation is welcome.

Tarquin: Seems to have the keenest sense of storyline conventions, and exploits this for profit, power, and to protect the group's interests. It's his plan, and his team follow it because it's profitable. I've heard it said that T might be deluding himself into believing he's their leader, but I don't think he's that foolish. He asked their cooperation in strip 921, and they felt free to refuse and criticize him.

Miron: Warlock? Sorcerer? It's uncertain, but since he seems to be focused on the financial profitability of their long-term venture, I'd hazard a guess that there's some Rogue levels in there too. Pragmatic, utilitarian and predictable, but not stupid either.

Laurin: Psion say it all, really. She's focused on the mental aspects. Her latest comment "I see no reason to enable you." makes it clear that she's well versed in psychology, and I fully expect some more psychoanalysis from her in the future. The feminine aspects of 'feelings' might be a narrative trope here, which could lead to her being the most easily persuadable/approachable.

Jacinda: I believe she will have the keenest sense of battle tactics, much more so than Tarquin, who makes mistakes in tactics because he's too focused on grand strategy. Perhaps an assassin, since she's fond of backstabbing, but any number of special classes could fit the bill.

Malack: The recently deceased Vampire Cleric seems to have been pivotal for the long-term plans of the team, due to his potential immortality. A very reasonable negotiator, I'm sure those plans involved the rest of the team's family being kept safe from his vampirism, unless they expressed a desire to transform themselves. His death has frustrated their dynastic ambitions, so we might expect more drastic decisions in the future, taking into account the *possible* demise of their grand scheme. If he had not been vanquished, he might have been the one most easily threatened, since he had aspirations of immortality, but with a weak constitution.

Unnamed ('mohawk warrior'): I can only speculate here, and badly. I think Tarquin is not the only meat shield in the team, but I'm sure his character and role in the team will become apparent once he gets some face-time in the comic.

Heksefatter
2013-09-27, 06:27 AM
It's difficult to say much about specific roles. What strikes me most is the open disagreement and criticism the rest of the group shows towards Tarquin. Also the flippancy - Miron calls Tarquin "Tarkie".

It is not that they outright disrespect Tarquin. It is just that his leadership is more like "the first among equals", with everyone free to speak their mind. This contrasts sharply how he acts towards everyone else. It is pretty clear that he was very overbearing towards Nale, as he is now being towards Elan.