View Full Version : [3.5] A Drug Problem

Fax Celestis
2013-09-27, 10:54 AM
Can you weaponize drugs the way you weaponize poisons? I have an...interesting character idea for an archer who tips his weapons with addictive hallucinogens and then waits for the withdrawal to set in.

Slipperychicken
2013-09-27, 11:04 AM
Remove Addiction (Cleric 2, Druid 2) laughs at this idea.

Yawgmoth
2013-09-27, 11:14 AM
You can, but they get a save as if it were a poison against the initial/secondary effects. Also, addiction DCs are embarrassingly low until you hit the Extreme rating. You can almost skate by with a High rated drug if you're targeting low level, low fort save people with pathetic con scores, but at that point your arrow will kill them before withdrawal sets in.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-27, 11:15 AM
Can you weaponize drugs the way you weaponize poisons? I have an...interesting character idea for an archer who tips his weapons with addictive hallucinogens and then waits for the withdrawal to set in.

Don't you have to consume the drug? Tricking people into taking them by putting them in food or drink seems possible, but it would be a little weird to get people addicted to cigs by shooting them at them :smalltongue:

...Also I am strangely saddened that this was not a drug handbook for D&D. I cannot find one, and there are a couple really good ones out there.

Immabozo
2013-09-27, 11:23 AM
You people sadden me! You can do it and it is a great tactic I can't wait to try!

Luhix is administered via injury, you cut yourself and sprinkle some into the cut. Hello coating weapons with it? It also has the worst addiction rate. Then, depending on your interpretation, is a no save paralyze for one minute. A second hit with your blade? overdose time! DC 25 fort save or die, and it continues for every hit thereafter until they fail.

EDIT: TWF line, lightning maces, and weapon aptitude, lets say Kukuris on a crit build. At level 20, that's something like three attacks for BAB, 3 attacks for TWF plus more for lightning mace.

So 6+ DC 25 for save or die, per round

Telonius
2013-09-27, 12:31 PM
The key would be to a) prevent the target from realizing what's happened, and b) if they realize what's happened, prevent them from getting access to a Cleric. So drugs with not much time between doses, drugs with more severe addiction, and drugs that don't give as much of a jolt would be best.

If the character is an archer, I'd suggest that he might be more of a wilderness ranger type, hunting people out where they're alone or with little access to divine healing.

Boci
2013-09-27, 12:37 PM
Then, depending on your interpretation, is a no save paralyze for one minute.

Wait what? It says you feel intense pain. You can't really interpret that as no save paralysis for 1 minute. I am missing something?

Darrin
2013-09-27, 12:56 PM
Aboleth Mucus (Planar Handbook). Coat an arrow, Fort save DC 19, wait 2-3 minutes until target starts to suffocate.

Blister Oil (Races of Stone). Cheap if somewhat random, untyped Xd4 damage, Fort save DC 14 is kinda low but presumably they would have to make a check every round until the arrow is removed.

Luhix (BoVD). Two hits causes an overdose, Fort save DC 25 vs. instant death. Vegetable matter and non-magical, so it's also psionic minor creationable.

Kammarth (Lords of Darkness). Magical contact drug. Two hits causes an overdose, 1d4 damage and paralyzed for 2d4 minutes. Three hits causes 4d4 damage and paralyzed for 2d4 hours. NO SAVE.

Immabozo
2013-09-27, 01:24 PM
Wait what? It says you feel intense pain. You can't really interpret that as no save paralysis for 1 minute. I am missing something?

I may be remembering wrong, but I remembered something about excruciating pain. I have excruciating pain as an allergic reaction to wheat. The amount of concentration to just sit up is intense. To fight and swing a sword? No way.

Person_Man
2013-09-27, 01:25 PM
I'm just glad that real life drug dealers haven't thought of this tactic.

Also, if you're going to dip arrows in drugs, shoot an enemy, and run/hide and wait for them to set in, you might as well also dip them them in a poison and disease.

Darrin
2013-09-27, 01:27 PM
Don't you have to consume the drug? Tricking people into taking them by putting them in food or drink seems possible, but it would be a little weird to get people addicted to cigs by shooting them at them :smalltongue:

You can use a sprayer (A&EG) to turn an inhaled/contact poison into a 5' x 10' cloud. As far as I can determine, there's no save to avoid being exposed, although a DM might houserule a Ref save DC 15 to discourage abuse.

There's also the mister (Drow of the Underdark). Ranged touch attack with a 5' max range, but it has more specific rules about exposure. Contact/inhaled poisons automatically take effect, assuming the touch attack hits, while ingested poisons get a Ref save DC 15. Injury poisons work automatically, so long as the target has an untreated wound.

...Also I am strangely saddened that this was not a drug handbook for D&D. I cannot find one, and there are a couple really good ones out there.

Shax has a section on drugs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235956&postcount=11), but I didn't really go into a full "handbook" treatment. It's not comprehensive... I left out anything that couldn't be weaponized or used as a buff.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-27, 01:35 PM
Hm. This might also be a good spot for the Mosquito's Bite skill trick.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-27, 02:24 PM
You can use a sprayer (A&EG) to turn an inhaled/contact poison into a 5' x 10' cloud. As far as I can determine, there's no save to avoid being exposed, although a DM might houserule a Ref save DC 15 to discourage abuse.

There's also the mister (Drow of the Underdark). Ranged touch attack with a 5' max range, but it has more specific rules about exposure. Contact/inhaled poisons automatically take effect, assuming the touch attack hits, while ingested poisons get a Ref save DC 15. Injury poisons work automatically, so long as the target has an untreated wound.

Shax has a section on drugs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235956&postcount=11), but I didn't really go into a full "handbook" treatment. It's not comprehensive... I left out anything that couldn't be weaponized or used as a buff.

Huh. Well thank you! I was apparently quite wrong :smalltongue:

Telok
2013-09-27, 02:48 PM

Back in AD&D times there used to be a netbook with a title similar to "The Complete and Unlawful Guide to Drugs and Alcohol in Role-Playing Games." But that was back in the BBS/usenet days before message boards and my copy was lost many many hard-drives ago.

Boci
2013-09-27, 02:54 PM
I may be remembering wrong, but I remembered something about excruciating pain. I have excruciating pain as an allergic reaction to wheat. The amount of concentration to just sit up is intense. To fight and swing a sword? No way.

Yes, but then you are not a D&D character. Regardless, there are no mechanical effects of the intense pain part of the side effects.

Immabozo
2013-09-27, 03:25 PM
Yes, but then you are not a D&D character. Regardless, there are no mechanical effects of the intense pain part of the side effects.

I know I am entirely outside the rules, but realistically, that's what I imagine.

But, you are correct

Boci
2013-09-27, 03:30 PM
I know I am entirely outside the rules, but realistically, that's what I imagine.

Yes, but is the pain as intense as being shanked in the kidney? As being burnt by fire? None of those incapacitate (provided you still have HP), so it may seem unfair for you to suddenly apply gritty realism to one small aspects of the game. Then again realism is already selectively applied.

Immabozo
2013-09-27, 03:35 PM
Yes, but is the pain as intense as being shanked in the kidney? As being burnt by fire? None of those incapacitate (provided you still have HP), so it may seem unfair for you to suddenly apply gritty realism to one small aspects of the game. Then again realism is already selectively applied.

Touche character limits can bite me shiny metal a...

Slipperychicken
2013-09-27, 03:48 PM
I'm just glad that real life drug dealers haven't thought of this tactic.

I've heard about people being forcibly exposed to highly addictive drugs in the hope they develop an addiction.

Immabozo
2013-09-27, 03:50 PM
I've heard about people being forcibly exposed to highly addictive drugs in the hope they develop an addiction.

Absolutely! That's why at Mardi-gra, for example, especially a woman, should never take a drink from a stranger that is not a professional bartender or otherwise, serving drinks you paid for. I've heard gnarly stories.