PDA

View Full Version : Melee Build Question

Miranius
2013-09-27, 10:55 AM
Alright, so up to now i sticked almost exclusively to caster- or summoner-type characters, but lately the idea of a melee-build that tears her opponents to shreds with natural weapons has gripped me.

Probem is: i have no idea how to build one.
The idea i want to build around are 1 (or more) levels of warshaper and mayyybe the half-fey template for a natures-wrath-theme (or druid levels), since i love the flavor of it.

Otherwise... No clue. Classes, Prestige-Classes, Feats and magic items.... Melee-wise i`m as noobish as they come. So i hope the wise munchkins here can give me some tips or frameworks on what can be done. Be as flavourfull o cheesy as you want, but bring your worst, grittiest, most nightmare-inducing ideas that you have :)

One more side-question that i have but don`t want to open another thread for: Do the Soul Strength and Soul Endurance abilities of the PrC Soul Eater (BoVD) stack with themselves? Meaning: if i hit an opponent twice, or two oponents once each, do i gain 2* the bonuses or only once?

Red Fel
2013-09-27, 11:19 AM
Well, the first question is, do you want "shapeshifted into something mean and wailing on my enemies with natural weapons," or "wailing on my enemies, ideally with natural weapons, preferably while shapeshifted into something mean?"

The focus of the build makes a difference. For example, if you just wanted to wail on things with unarmed/natural weapons, the Tome of Battle classes offer a lot of clever opportunities to do more than simply "I hit it a bunch."

I would also recommend investing in a Necklace of Natural Weapons, which essentially allows you to put weapon enchantments on your natural weapons and unarmed attacks. Note that if you use natural weapons specifically, you may have to pay extra to get those enchantments on to each one (e.g. claws and bite would cost more than just claws). But given the need for upgrades, that's priceless.

I noticed that you were considering levels of druid for "a natures-wrath-theme". Does this mean you want a gish-type, or melee-with-a-couple-of-spells, or just a nature-themed melee?

Miranius
2013-09-27, 11:30 AM
In the order in which you asked them.... i want to wail on my enemies, ideally with natural weapons. Not necessarily shapeshifted, but some funky alteration (not necessarily by spells) would be cool i think.

Isn`t ToB verey much focused on maneuvers as a standard action in which you do a single attack? I was hoping for multiple attacks, f.e. with half a dozen tentacle rakes that i grew from Warshaper.

A gish with spells to enhance my own combat abilities would be fine, but complete reliance on it or too much focus on the magic-side is what i want to avoid.

Deca4531
2013-09-27, 11:46 AM
look into Black Blood Cultist (http://dndtools.eu/classes/black-blood-cultist/) its almost exactualy what your need. or if you want you can take a couple templates instead like:

FERAL CREATURE (savage speaces pg 116)
LA+1
ALL HD BECOME D10
STR 4 / DEX -2 / CON 2
+10 MOVMENT SPEED
+6 NAT AC
DARK VISION 60FT
FAST HEALING 3

Gigas Breaker
2013-09-27, 11:52 AM
Totemist may be what you are looking for. You can turn into a blender of natural attacks.

Red Fel
2013-09-27, 01:17 PM
Isn`t ToB verey much focused on maneuvers as a standard action in which you do a single attack? I was hoping for multiple attacks, f.e. with half a dozen tentacle rakes that i grew from Warshaper.

The Maneuvers in ToB break down into multiple types. There are Stances, which constitute sort of a persistent bonus and can be switched as a swift action; Strikes, which commonly take a Standard action and allow you to do something, these may be what you're thinking about when you speak of single attacks; Counters, which are used in reaction to an enemy's attack or ability, which means you can now use your abilities on someone else's turn; and Boosts, which are swift action bonuses to your attack.

An example of each:
Prey on the Weak is a Level 7 Stance in the Tiger Claw discipline. Whenever an enemy within 10 feet of you is dropped to -1 or lower hit points, by you or anyone else, you may immediately make an attack of opportunity against any enemy you threaten. Note that, because this is a stance, the effect persists indefinitely; you may make this AoO anytime you have AoOs and an enemy goes down.

Time Stands Still is a Level 9 Strike in the Diamond Mind discipline. When you initiate this strike, you immediately make two Full Attack Actions. Want to wail on people a lot? Time Stands Still is the very definition of completely unloading your attacks on someone.

Wall of Blades is a Level 2 Counter in the Iron Heart discipline. When an enemy makes a melee or ranged attack against you, as an immediate action, you may make an attack roll using any melee weapon you're holding. Use the higher of this roll or your AC as your AC against this attack. Yes, this means you can parry rays with your sword.

Finally, Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip is a Level 8 Boost in the Tiger Claw discipline. Tiger Claw, I should mention, is very focused on high crits and two-weapon fighting, so making lots of attacks is right in line with this discipline. This boost is triggered as a swift action, and requires dual wielding. If you strike multiple opponents during this turn, you deal rend damage to each, with the rend damage increasing based on the number of opponents you strike each opponent. This damage ranges from 8d6 on two attacks to a whopping 20d6 on 8 or more.
You are correct that many Strikes involve a single attack. But there are others specifically designed for copious amounts of brutality. Again, it's a matter of flavor and personal feeling on the matter. Note also that you can take any maneuver whose prerequisites you meet with the Martial Study or Martial Stance feats, without having to take a ToB class.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-27, 01:20 PM
Totemist may be what you are looking for. You can turn into a blender of natural attacks.

Indeed. Totemist/Barbarian/Totem Rager is an excellent blenderbuild.

Or, if you want to be bizarre, you could try my Pauper of Smack build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41214).

Person_Man
2013-09-27, 01:33 PM
Melee Combo Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026)

Short version:

1) Pick any Tier 1, 2, or 3 class to use as a chassis.

2) Decide how you want to deal melee damage; Power Attack, getting really big, getting lots of attacks, and/or class specific abilities.

3) Get a respectable defense. This usually boils down to having Con as your second highest attribute, buying decent armor, not dumping Dex, and spending some portion of your gp on protective magic items.

4) Pick one or two sources of battlefield control; Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, Standstill, Fear, Daze effects, or class specific abilities.

5) Don't put all of your resources into any one combo.

Deca4531
2013-09-27, 01:38 PM
Melee Combo Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026)

Short version:

1) Pick any Tier 1, 2, or 3 class to use as a chassis.

2) Decide how you want to deal melee damage; Power Attack, getting really big, getting lots of attacks, and/or class specific abilities.

3) Get a respectable defense. This usually boils down to having Con as your second highest attribute, buying decent armor, not dumping Dex, and spending some portion of your gp on protective magic items.

4) Pick one or two sources of battlefield control; Trip, Grapple, Bull Rush, Standstill, Fear, Daze effects, or class specific abilities.

5) Don't put all of your resources into any one combo.

probably most important of all. any GM that sees a one hit wonder will normally find a way to defuse him.

Miranius
2013-09-28, 06:10 AM
What kind of Prestige-classes or classes besides totemist and druid can you recommend?

What templates besides Feral can be useful?

Taveena
2013-09-28, 06:57 AM
Thayan Gladiator grants a bunch of boosts to natural weapons, but is a prestige class. Warlock can shape their Eldritch Blast into claws with the Eldritch Claw feat. Kobolds with the web enhancement get a good number of natural attacks.
Anything with the Dragonblood subtype can grab Dragon Tail, Shape Soulmeld (Dragon Tail), and/or Shape Soulmeld (Dragon Claws).
Shape Soulmeld (Chaos Roc's Span) will grant two wing attacks. Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) with Open Least Chakra (Hands) grants two Slam attacks.
Warforged get slam attacks from the beginning and can get a bite attack with Jaws of Death.
Willing Deformity and Deformity (Teeth) grant a bite attack.
Aberration Blood, Inhuman Reach, and the Deepspawn feat together grant two tentacle attacks.

Edit: Draconic template grants two claw attacks.
Half-Minotaur grants a gore.
One level of Binder allows you to bind Amon and get a gore.

Abaddona
2013-09-28, 07:06 AM
Hmm, for natural attack there is also shifter race - essentialy you can change yourself into lycanthrope for several rounds (especially with few levels of Weretouched Master PrC). There is also Bloodclaw master PrC. Check with your DM if he will let you increase your claw damage if you already have claws from another source.

Miranius
2013-09-28, 07:32 AM
Does anybody know about the Soul Eater Prestige Class from BoVD ? Do his Abilities like Soul Strength stack with themselves?

Taveena
2013-09-28, 07:37 AM
Soul Eater depends on your DM's ruling, whether it takes a standard action to activate the Supernatural level drain (as by RAW), or whether it occurs whenever you attack (as some people argue RAI).

Fax Celestis
2013-09-28, 10:25 AM
Here (http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=1523)'s a good start.

Miranius
2013-09-29, 09:54 AM
Yes, but what about the Soul Strength ability? Stacking, yes or no?