PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Building some custom monsters

Silus
2013-09-27, 02:52 PM
So I'm in between acts of my Campaign and have time to plan some things up. Custom monsters seem to have gone over well with the players, keeping them on their toes so they're not all "Oh that's totally an 'X'.".

So anyway, here are some of the monster/creature concepts that I'd like some assistance with (Mostly streamlining the abilities and trying to place a CR on them).

Just a heads up, the players are currently level 10 with a Mythic Tier of 1.

1) "Judges" (A placeholder name)
Short version of the plot, the players have kicked off an End-Of-The-World scenario that, for the most part, is the BBEG pummeling the planet with monster laden asteroids. One of these is gonna punch through a city built into a large Druid city built into a World Tree type thing. Anyway, Akatas will be a big thing, so people will fall back to the ruined World Tree city out in the middle of the ocean. Due to the threat of Akata-spread plague, the refugee city begins turning Totalitarian. To help keep up security, the leaders begin creating "sanctioned" undead from the donated corpses of crime victims. They are turned into the Judges who act as an impartial secret police (in the "they're always watching you" kinda way).

The concept was take a Dullahan, change the abilities to coincide with ranged weapons (Firearms + Far Sight Scope) instead of melee, give them a few Gunslinger levels (maybe 2), a mythic tier or two, and give their mount a Climb Speed (Seeing as the city was like 90% vertical).

2) "Super Akata"/"Pureblood Akata"
Well the above more or less makes it clear that Akata will be used extensively, however the basic Akata are piddly CR1 cannon fodders. I need to make these things actually deadly to a group of lvl 10 characters. All I can think of is stack up some templates and up the HD. Though seeing as these things are alien to the world, I may be able to get away with more.

3) "Room of Flesh"
So I like using the whole "abandoned research lab" kind of dungeon (seeing as the world I'm using has an underlying "after the fall" feel), and I wanna dip into some Fallout Equestria: Project Horizon stuff for a monster.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of what I wanna go for (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/277/9/d/choir_by_mistermech-d5gt3jf.jpg).

Anyway, I wanna try to make that, but all I can think of is a massive Corpse Orgy from Tome of Horrors with some sort of Taint/Radiation aura...thing.

4) "The invaders"
So I borrowed a thing from Fallout: Equestria during Act 1, a thing called the Pink Cloud, a necrotic, entropic and all around bad time kind of environmental hazard. Needless to say, the stuff was fun to use and caused all sorts of issues for the players that I just wanna use it again, but need a reason. So I was thinking "chemical weapons". Short of it, 1000 years before the campaign, things were more advanced and interplanetary trade was a thing (before the planet got all sectioned off from the rest of reality). Some warships got caught in the "bubble" and crash landed, ending up in the Darklands/Underdark section of the world, leaking their munitions That kinda work like an Exterminus/Salt-The-Earth kind of weapon.

Anyway, world reappears in in reality proper, the civilization returns in a "We're here to save you (LIESLIESLIESLIES)" kind of way. Anyway, I want to try to make a race of, essentially, Eldar (space-faring elves) that forsook magic in exchange for tech. It's just a concept at the moment, so I'm not really sure where to start.

Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is mostly just spitballing at this point, but I'd really like some people to bounce these ideas off of.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-09-27, 04:26 PM
Alright, here's the Space Elf writeup:

Space Elves

Humanoid (Elf)
Medium size
Normal Speed (30 Feet)
Ability modifiers: Space Elves are fast, highly intelligent, perceptive and attractive, but their elf blood and generations in contained ships make them weak. (+4 Dex, -2 Con, +4 Int, +2 Wis, +2 Cha)
Languages: Spacelven. Can learn Spacecommon, Elven, Aklo, and Undercommon.
Elven Immunities (Ex): Immune to magic sleep effects, +2 racial bonus on saving throws made against enchantment spells and effects
Techborn (Ex): +2 Racial bonus on saves versus poison, spells, and spell-like abilities
Fast Healing (Ex): Medical nanobots course through this creatures veins. Heals 1 hit point at the beginning of each round.
Emissary (Ex): When using Diplomacy or Bluff, Space Elves roll twice and take the better result.
Beguiling Liar (Ex): Space Elves gain a +4 Racial bonus to Bluff, those duplicitous pointy ears.
Quick Reactions (Ex): Space Elves are honed from birth to be fast. Gains Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Hatred (Ex): Space elves have a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls made against aberrations.
Magehunter (Ex): Space Elves have forsaken magic, but they know its danger. Space Elves gain a +2 racial bonus to Spellcraft made to identify a spell being cast, and a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls made against arcane spellcasters.
Lowlight Vision (Ex): Space Elves see twice as far as a filthy human in dim light.