PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Argent Savant question

Valwyn
2013-09-27, 03:23 PM
At fifth level you get Unbind Force, which says:

Unbind Force (Su): At 5th level, an argent savant learns how to unweave a force spell or effect and liberate its magical energy. As a standard action, she can attempt to dispel a single force spell or effect within 60 feet (even those normally immune to dispel magic, such as wall of force). If she succeeds on a caster level check (DC 11 + opposing caster’s level), the force effect is unbound. This immediately dispels the effect and deals 1d6 points of force damage per level of the dispelled spell to all creatures and objects within 10 feet of the unbound spell.

Underlining is mine.

My question is, are you actually casting a spell? It's not really clear whether you are just casting an improved Dispel Magic or if it's some sort of SLA you get. If it's not an improved DM, can it be used at will? The text doesn't specify.

Waker
2013-09-27, 03:26 PM
Unbind Force (Su): At 5th level, an argent savant learns how to unweave a force spell or effect and liberate its magical energy. As a standard action, she can attempt to dispel a single force spell or effect within 60 feet (even those normally immune to dispel magic, such as wall of force). If she succeeds on a caster level check (DC 11 + opposing caster’s level), the force effect is unbound. This immediately dispels the effect and deals 1d6 points of force damage per level of the dispelled spell to all creatures and objects within 10 feet of the unbound spell.
It's a supernatural ability. There is no limit per day mentioned, so it would appear to be At-Will.

Psyren
2013-09-27, 03:27 PM
You basically just will it to happen (mentally.)

Valwyn
2013-09-27, 03:28 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought.
Still, I'm not totally sure if you actually need to cast Dispel Magic or not. It does mention you need to beat a CL check.

Psyren
2013-09-27, 03:30 PM
Still, I'm not totally sure if you actually need to cast Dispel Magic or not. It does mention you need to beat a CL check.

You're not casting anything. The CL check is part of the ability itself.

Waker
2013-09-27, 03:32 PM

You don't actually cast Dispel Magic. The spell is mentioned to give you an idea of how the ability functions. You see a Force Effect, take a Standard Action to glare at it, make a Caster Level check, and if successful stuff blows up.

Psyren
2013-09-27, 03:37 PM
How supernatural abilities work (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/04/09)

Valwyn
2013-09-27, 03:41 PM
You're not casting anything. The CL check is part of the ability itself.

You don't actually cast Dispel Magic. The spell is mentioned to give you an idea of how the ability functions. You see a Force Effect, take a Standard Action to glare at it, make a Caster Level check, and if successful stuff blows up.

Thanks, guys. :smallsmile:

How supernatural abilities work

Ah, the Power of Hate (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThePowerOfHate). Always good to have on your side.