PDA

View Full Version : Cryonax and the Temple of Elemental Evil

Laurellien
2013-09-27, 04:57 PM
I am converting the old T1-T4 The Temple of Elemental Evil to a different edition so that I can run it with my group.

However, I want to adapt it so that it includes Cryonax, the Prince of Cold creatures. There are several ways I could do it, and I would like your opinions on the below and maybe some suggestions about how they could be improved, or indeed if there are any better ways.

1) Add a cold temple: This would basically be adding a new faction in the temple that worshipped Cryonax, repurposing existing rooms or creating new ones. There would also be a cold node between the other four.

2) Have Cryonax as an emergent power: Keep the temple the same, but have the destruction wrought against the four main temples cause a weakening of those princes' power, allowing Cryonax to capitalise, seize enough territory to form his own elemental plane and become the leading force of elemental evil. Thus he would be the driving force behind the resurrection of the temple in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil and it would be his new node (rather than the fire node) which was uncovered.

What do you think?

Mr Beer
2013-09-27, 08:25 PM
I prefer option 2, because 1 messes up the symmetry of the whole thing to jam Cold in there.

erikun
2013-09-27, 08:33 PM
Perhaps have the followers of Cryonax consider helping the PCs, as it undermines the other four elemental lords and puts Cryonax at a potential victor?

I agree with Mr Beer that you shouldn't just throw in a fifth temple there. Cryonax isn't "equal" to the other four classical elements, and so most members of the cult aren't going to treat any Cryonax-worshippers with respect. That makes me thing that they'd either be the "low-level" grunts who are more willing to sell out the secrets of the temple from spite, or might even be willing to aid/hire the PCs to clear out their rivals and try to take over themselves.

Envyus
2013-09-28, 01:12 PM
Long as you keep Zuggtmoy in I am fine with 2