PDA

View Full Version : Changeling's Shapeshifting

Dr. Azkur
2013-09-27, 05:23 PM
How do changelings shift appearance? Can they turn into ANY human (or elf or whatever) they want, such as humanoid A and humanoid B? Can humanoids A or B be replicas of other humans? Or are they samples or generic people, looks determined by the physiology of their race and the uniqueness of particular changeling?

TL;DR
Basically, can they turn into me, then turn into a friend of mine, then turn into some other guy or are they limited to a single persona per race?

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-27, 05:27 PM
Minor Change Shape mimics Disguise Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disguiseSelf.htm), except it's not an illusion but an actual physical transformation. Nothing about the ability restricts you to a single persona per race - you use Disguise Self, which lets you change your appearance however you wish within the limits set out by the spell.

Disguise Self has nothing preventing you from emulating an actual person's appearance, but note that it does prohibit you from changing your 'body type'.

Therefore, I'd assume that you can look identical to another person as long as their build isn't too different from yours.

Dr. Azkur
2013-09-27, 05:31 PM
Danke Schön!

Chronos
2013-09-27, 07:58 PM
"Body type", in this context, means two legs at the bottom of your body, two arms at the top corners of your body, and a head on top. So you can turn into Jack Sprat or his wife, but you can't turn into a centaur or thri-kreen.

CyberThread
2013-09-27, 11:48 PM
As a DM, I would also rule, that you can't be a 6ft tall human, and then a 4ft gnome.

bekeleven
2013-09-27, 11:50 PM
As a DM, I would also rule, that you can't be a 6ft tall human, and then a 4ft gnome.

You would be incorrect, as disguise self allows a person to look up to 1 foot taller or shorter. Races of Eberron discusses changelings appearing as small races in multiple spots.

Now, the 8 foot tall orc might be an issue. Your orc is a runt orc. (or on stilts)