PDA

View Full Version : Not enought reptillian monsters

Torpedo Ted
2006-12-28, 05:56 PM
I've noticed recently that there are about only 3 reptillian monsters. I've made my own and posted it below, but I need a lot more for my campain. Here's my monster:

Gyleryth
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
HD 4d8+3 (19 hp)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +1
AC 16; touch +11; flat-footed 15
(+1 Dex. +4 Natural Armor +1 improved natural armor)
BAB +4; Grp +8
Attack claw, 2d8(from improved natural attack)+4 BAB. Critical: 20
OR
Crossbow (-2 on attack rolls): 1d8, +4 BAB. Critical: 19-20X2
OR
Club 1d6, +4 BAB Critical 20 X2
Full-Attack claw, 2d8(from improved natural attack)+4 BAB Critical: 20
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Qualities: Dark vision 60 ft. Simple weapon proficiency*
Saves Fort +1 Ref +3 Will +1
Abilities Str 17, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 5, Cha 8
Skills: Hide, move silently, listen, spot, search, swim, survival, diplomacy**
Feats: Improved natural Weapon, Improved natural attack.
Environment: Any
Organization pack/army (3-4, unless in army of reptilian monsters)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure Standard
Alignment Always evil
Advancement: ?
Level Adjustment: ?
*Only proficient with one-handed simple weapons because the left hand is a big claw (like a clam’s). Thus 5 ft. reach.
**To draconic speaking people only, duh.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Earthstar_Fungus
2006-12-28, 07:26 PM
I think you should write the racial abilities in the format shown in the player's handbook. That would make it easier to compare abilities with other races.
Perhaps 2d6 is too much for a natural weapon.

bosssmiley
2006-12-28, 11:39 PM
Troglodytes, Lizardman, Sahuagin, Yuan-ti, arguably Kobolds, plus the half-dragon template. Those are the human-shaped reptilian creatures from the MM alone. Then you have Dragonlance's Draconians and Faerun's Saurials and Sarrukh (with their own sourcebook no less), and the Mystaran Tortle retrospective in Dragon #315. Where does this 'not enough reptilian monsters' reasoning come from please?

On a constructive note you might want to emphasize the point about the Gyleryth's disproportionately large single claw further in their physical description. Why has such a dimorphism evolved? Were they a fabricated worker/warrior race based on lizardman stock originally?

MandibleBones
2006-12-29, 02:04 AM
Don't forget the other two lizardfolk races from MMIII!

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-29, 06:17 AM
I think the third or so page of Serpent Kingdoms lists about 50 from various sources.

Torpedo Ted
2006-12-29, 10:19 AM
"Troglodytes, Lizardman, Sahuagin, Yuan-ti, arguably Kobolds, plus the half-dragon template. Those are the human-shaped reptilian creatures from the MM alone. Then you have Dragonlance's Draconians and Faerun's Saurials and Sarrukh (with their own sourcebook no less), and the Mystaran Tortle retrospective in Dragon #315. Where does this 'not enough reptilian monsters' reasoning come from please?"

I only have the MM3.5, and I must have overlooked the Sahuagin and Yuan-ti so I guess there are a lot more than I thought there are.

P.S. I desprately need many more reptillian mosters for mu campain, so if you could post some of the stats of the monsters in other books, that would help a lot.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-12-29, 01:40 PM
P.S. I desprately need many more reptillian mosters for mu campain, so if you could post some of the stats of the monsters in other books, that would help a lot.
Thats against the rules of this forum. However, I can get you a list of these creatures in other books to seek out yourself.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-29, 01:43 PM
Sahuagin are reptilian? I always thought they were, you know, shark men.

XtheYeti
2006-12-29, 01:55 PM
Sahuagin are reptilian? I always thought they were, you know, shark men.
I second this, i thought that they were like aquan or some such

fangthane
2006-12-29, 05:43 PM
It's not specified, actually... They're mentioned as often having green coloration but not as actually being lizard-like. I've always pictured them as a bit reptilian myself, but looking at the SRD block on them, apparently that was a bit of an over-reach on the part of those of us who thought similarly. I suspect some of us thought "green, fangs, claws, not an orc - aquatic lizard, check" while others thought "deal with sharks, shark-men, check."

As to saurian creatures in the MM series, here are the ones I found on a quick riffle through the SRD:
Basilisks, dinosaurs, possibly cockatrices, dragons, dragonnes, half-dragons, hydrae, naga, salamanders, shockers, Big T*, and the various animals (crocs etc) which apply. There're many more in other sources and while I won't say it's a bad idea to develop more, I do think your justification's sort of weak. :)

*At least, the pic of the Tarrasque (and my mental image) have always been evocative of a dinosaur-like critter, anyhow. If I'm wrong, so be it.

MandibleBones
2006-12-30, 05:47 AM
I suspect some of us thought "green, fangs, claws, not an orc - aquatic lizard, check" while others thought "deal with sharks, shark-men, check."

I think "both" might be a better descriptor for our sub-aquan friends...

danielf
2006-12-30, 06:50 AM
yes, i miss some others reptile monster when i got in a swamp or something like that...

pyrefiend
2006-12-30, 09:42 AM
I only have the MM3.5, and I must have overlooked the Sahuagin and Yuan-ti so I guess there are a lot more than I thought there are.
You didn't overlook Yuan-ti and Sahuagin. You couldnt find them because you are using D&D hypertext, which cannot provide information about monsters specificly created by the D&D sourcebooks. To get info on those two monsters you need to buy the monster manual.

Captain van der Decken
2006-12-30, 09:47 AM
I'm also going off the cover of a book that focuses a lot on Sahuagin.
https://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_frant_215680000_lgpic.jpg
Definitely looks more like a fishman to me.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dx20061218_sahuagin.jpg
And this. Most reptiles fon't have webbed hands and feet.