PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Ranger?

Valluman
2013-09-27, 06:39 PM
Hey everybody; I have a simple dilemma. I have read in several places that Mystic Ranger exists, which is supposed to have better magical ability than a traditional ranger. I am wondering if anyone has a link or reference to the class?

If there happens to be other ranger material out there, such as maybe ACF or fixes for the traditional ranger, those would be awesome as well.

eggynack
2013-09-27, 06:42 PM
Apparently, according to internet viewing (And thus without the assurance of personal fact checking) it is in Dragon Magazine #336 page 105.

Snowbluff
2013-09-27, 06:47 PM
Mystic Ranger gets 5th level spells over 10 levels.

If you are using it, I would say take a look at Magical Training, and Sword of the Arcane Order.

If you are presenting it to a DM, I would suggest pushing giving the Ranger the Duskblade spell level progression for a more balanced design.

Skeller
2013-09-27, 06:55 PM
Also pretty good is Shape-changing (UA, p 58): Gain wildshape as druid (small and medium animals only) and fast movement as barbarian. Lose combat styles.

Larkas
2013-09-27, 07:02 PM
If you are presenting it to a DM, I would suggest pushing giving the Ranger the Duskblade spell level progression for a more balanced design.

That, or the Adept's.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-27, 09:28 PM
Also pretty good is Shape-changing (UA, p 58): Gain wildshape as druid (small and medium animals only) and fast movement as barbarian. Lose combat styles.

I think you can combine the two, actually. While mystic ranger delays access to combat styles, it doesn't actually remove them, while the shape-changing variant doesn't touch anything the mystic ranger subs out (martial melee weapons, animal companion, maybe something else).

If you are using it, I would say take a look at Magical Training, and Sword of the Arcane Order.

Personally, I err on the side of not giving my DM an aneurism from seeing the two in the same build.

Personally, I prefer asking to have a sort of Advanced Learning (a la beguiler, warmage, and dread necromancer) to get a few useful spells from the druid list.

Chronos
2013-09-27, 11:01 PM
It seems to me that a DM would be pretty generous to allow a SotAO Mystic Ranger in the first place-- I mean, it's basically Lightning Warrior Lite, at least for the first ten levels.

Vin Robinson
2013-09-27, 11:49 PM
Since your question has already been answered, if I may suggest an alternative you can combine a few Druid variants that ditches most of the book keeping and turns you into a melee monster while keeping full spellcasting.

The sagacious Fax Celestis has outlined it here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58604)