PDA

View Full Version : Pan-Disciplinary Adept (3.5 Psionic PrC, PEACH)

Zaydos
2013-09-27, 08:14 PM
Pan-disciplinary Adept

”Ah metacreativity, now that is an easy one to master.”

A master of all forms of psychic power, a pan-disciplinary adept studies metacreativity, telepathy, psychoportation, psychokinesis, psychometabolism, and clairsentience with equal passion and depth.

BECOMING A PAN-DISCIPLINARY ADEPT
Becoming a pan-disciplinary adept is a matter of practice and study. It requires an open mind and a basic knowledge of the six disciplines and how they interact within psionics to serve as a starting point for training the mind to master their various nuances.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Psionics: Ability to manifest at least 1 psionic power from each discipline
Skills: Knowledge (Psionics) 8 ranks.
Feats: Expanded Knowledge

Class Skills
The Pan-disciplinary Adept’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration* (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Psionic Device (Cha)
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + int

Hit Dice: d4

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Discipline Access|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Discipline Access|+1 level of existing manifesting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Discipline Access, Induced Power +1|+1 level of existing manifesting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Discipline Access|+1 level of existing manifesting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Discipline Access|+1 level of existing manifesting class

6th|
+3 |
+2|
+2|
+5| Discipline Access, Induced Power +2|+1 level of existing manifesting class[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A pan-disciplinary adept gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Discipline Access (Su): At each level of pan-disciplinary adept you may select one of the six psionic disciplines. The pan-disciplinary adept gains a psionic power of any level they may manifest from that discipline list, may select powers from that discipline’s list as powers known when gaining levels in any class that grants psionic powers known, and a power related to that discipline from the list below.

Clairsentience: You are always aware of your surroundings. You gain Uncanny Dodge if you do not already have it, though this is a supernatural ability. If you already have Uncanny Dodge you instead gain Improved Uncanny Dodge.
Metacreativity: When you create an astral construct whether from the power, a psi-like ability, magic item, or other source it gains an untyped +2 bonus to Strength and Dexterity, and +1 hp per hit dice.
Psychokinesis: Increase energy damage dealt by your psionic powers by 1 point per 2 dice.
Psychometabolism: When you use a psionic power to grant yourself temporary hit points or DR increase that amount by 1 per 5 temporary hp or points of damage reduction. In addition when an effect heals you increase the amount healed by 1 per 5 points of damage healed.
Psychoportation: Increase the maximum distance of any teleportation power you manifest by 10% and any movement speeds granted to you by psionic powers you manifest are increased by 10-ft.
Telepathy: You gain a +2 insight bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive checks made to deal with sentient (Int 3+) creatures as you sense their surface emotions.

Induced Power (Ex): A pan-disciplinary adept learns that power does not come from focusing in a single discipline but by learning how they are interwoven together. Beginning at 3rd level whenever you manifest a psionic power you gain a +1 Manifester Level for your next psionic power manifested before the end of your next turn as long as it is from a different discipline than the previous psionic power. At 6th level this bonus increases to +2.

PLAYING A PAN-DISCIPLINARY ADEPT
As a pan-disciplinary adept you have a wider array of psionic powers than even a psion. Despite the loss of 2 levels of powers known you end up with 3 more psionic powers known and the ability to cherry pick the best powers from all six disciplines.
Combat: A pan-disciplinary adept uses key powers to unleash assaults on opponents, but rarely relies on simply repeating the same power. A pan-disciplinary adept might begin the battle with a defensive buff, before summoning an over-augmented astral construct and following it with a powerful barrage of energy missiles.
Advancement: Most pan-disciplinary adepts return to their base class upon completion as many psionic prestige classes lose further manifesting levels and having already lost 2 they can ill-afford to lose more. Some do enter into other PrCs but most do so carefully to avoid losing access to 9th level powers, such as illithid slayer or thrallherd. This is compounded by their inability to obtain the 10th level ability of other classes, though some will instead trade some of the versatility granted by access to all six discipline lists and take only 3 levels of pan-disciplinary adept to save room for other prestige classes.
Resources: A pan-disciplinary adept mainly has access to the same resources that a psion would. The main difference is that a pan-disciplinary adept can access resources that a normally most easily available to telepaths, kineticists, shapers, and so forth while most psions only have the expertise to make use of one such set of resources. A pan-disciplinary adept might be lauded in one land which values metacreation for his or her skill with an astral construct and matter creation and then in the next for his deep understanding of the ways of prophecy and clairvoyance, and in the next study with the masters of psychometabolism within their mountaintop monastery.

PAN-DISCIPLINARY ADEPTS IN THE WORLD
”They think they’re better just because they can travel the astral plane and dominate the mind, but there’s more to power than versatility.” – Psion talking about a pan-disciplinary adept.

Pan-Disciplinary Adepts are typically closest to psions, both in their habits and how the world views them. While many were psions before becoming adepts, even for those who were not their wider array of powers pushes them closer to the psion model and the study required to become a pan-disciplinary adept forces them into a way of life closer to that of a psion’s.
Daily Life: Slightly past 6 in the morning: I woke up, spent a few minutes contemplating the rooster’s crows. Seven in the morning: Practiced teleportation. It seems that my landing is off by 5 millimeters. Eight in the morning I practiced my telepathy. I am still unable to read the mind of the rooster; I am beginning to doubt it has one. Nine: I ate eggs and bacon. Ten: Meditation hour. Thirteen: Lunch. Fourteen: I did it I made an astral construct, I am progressing. Sixteen: I rested my mind. Seventeen: I practiced some simple energy projection to hunt some game. Nineteen: Dinner. Twenty-one: Practiced some simple psychometabolism to wind down before bed.

Arcanist
2013-09-27, 08:23 PM
I think this goes without saying and I'm sure it will be done by the time I finish typing this, but please fix your list.

Zaydos
2013-09-27, 08:37 PM
I think this goes without saying and I'm sure it will be done by the time I finish typing this, but please fix your list.

I didn't even notice it :smallredface: Having some internet problems but hopefully it should be fixed now.

JoshuaZ
2013-09-28, 12:07 AM
I like it. The idea is cute. This isn't too strong or too weak, and Induced Power is nice.

I think it would be actually balanced even if one had full manifesting.

Resources: A pan-disciplinary adept mainly .

Is there text missing here?

Zaydos
2013-09-29, 11:32 AM
I like it. The idea is cute. This isn't too strong or too weak, and Induced Power is nice.

I think it would be actually balanced even if one had full manifesting.

Is there text missing here?

Yes. Or more correctly I was writing got up and thought I had finished and moved on to the next part.

JoshuaZ
2013-09-30, 11:02 PM
I just noticed that you also don't have manifesting at 4th level. That seems uneccessary. Dropping a single manifester level is more than enough. If you drop 2 then they are going to be effectively much weaker than a straight psion.

Zaydos
2013-09-30, 11:05 PM
I just noticed that you also don't have manifesting at 4th level. That seems uneccessary. Dropping a single manifester level is more than enough. If you drop 2 then they are going to be effectively much weaker than a straight psion.

Ok, wasn't sure whether I should or not (it's one of the big things I wanted PEACHed). Should they still get Induced Power +2 or should I reduce it to only 1 iteration and if so what level would you say I should give it to them (thinking 4th or 6th in that case, 4th as a neat little ability they gain that combined with Practiced Manifester lets them actually augment things further than normal psions, or 6th as a means of getting you to actually take all the levels in the class)?

JoshuaZ
2013-09-30, 11:13 PM
Ok, wasn't sure whether I should or not (it's one of the big things I wanted PEACHed). Should they still get Induced Power +2 or should I reduce it to only 1 iteration and if so what level would you say I should give it to them (thinking 4th or 6th in that case, 4th as a neat little ability they gain that combined with Practiced Manifester lets them actually augment things further than normal psions, or 6th as a means of getting you to actually take all the levels in the class)?

The +2 is fine. I'd just add in normal manifesting at level 4. They will get to augment things further, but outside specific situations (which will almost never include the first round of combat) they'll be behind the regular psion.