PDA

View Full Version : A Current Ridden

Provengreil
2013-09-27, 08:18 PM
Background Information

Crazy has heard tell of strange goings on in an old jungle that few travel near, known as the Samarlough. The waters have gotten deeply disturbed, and the mountains have always been nigh impassable. Fearing that nature was somehow out of balance from outside influences, he wants to set things right. He was unwilling to go alone, but unable to find anyone to help until he met Serville. Serville's interest was piqued in that he might be able to find more about weather-based magic, which is subtle yet powerful, and do some good in the process by making the waters safer to travel.

The pair of you managed to charter a caravel with a gnomish captain named Sirri. She's excited at the challenge of sailing safely through uncharted waters, and her crew is just crazy enough to try it. Her caravel, known as the Riptide, is a fairly new, fine seaworthy vessel.

Spoilered for post size.

Serville
*Creak. Creeeeeak. *

Sigh. Even a new vessel won't be quiet, will it?

You must admit, it's nice. Not half a year ago, you were stuck on that godforsaken island. The priests wanted something, something they may have gotten, but you feel that they've not finished somehow. This tattoo...you want it off, but you don't know how yet. Then you met...him. You refuse to even think the name to yourself. Something about him just radiated...wrong. Power placed in the wrong hands. You were quick to distance yourself, but the loss of studying those towers was depressing. And now? Yet another study of the magics of the weather present themselves. This time, however, something's gone wrong, something's changed, and nobody's investigated yet. SO exciting.

*creaaak.*

Grrr. No way to study in here. You don't even care if its all that dry anymore, you want land. Lets head outside and see the ocean a bit.

Crazy
*Splish, creak, sloosh.*
The sounds of the water against the hull of the Riptide fill your ears. The endless depths meet the tortured lumber, a stalemate as the seas drag you in and the wood stubbornly refuses. A waste of a good tree, you would normally think, but you are forced to admit it's taking you exactly where otherwise couldn't travel. At least, not with any allies.

And you are most certainly going to need those. Hardy sailors in well built ships don't completely avoid places just for rough weather, this is something more. As if the land itself is lashing out somehow, but that doesn't fit either. What few reports exist suggest the land is dying, not overgrowing. A Fallen druid, perhaps? The thought makes you shudder.

While some meditation might help, you've some duties around the ship, too. mostly keeping the men supplied with fresh water, but some basic duties as well, taken to cheapen your ride. It keeps your hands busy, and makes the time pass, so you don't regret it at all. Opening your eyes slowly, you spot a sail on the horizon. Perhaps you should notify the captain.

The pair of you are on the deck of the Riptide. A ship of unknown allegiance is on the horizon, about 1:00. 7 men and captain Sirri are aboveboard, the 8 night crewmen are sleeping belowdecks in the racks, and another 3 work various jobs not directly related to moving the ship smoothly on the lower decks somewhere.

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-27, 09:34 PM
I'm going to rummage through my Bag of Holding II for my Spyglass, and try using it to get a better look at the ship

Some time this weekend I'll sketch my character and share it, as is fairly typical of me

Provengreil
2013-09-27, 09:57 PM
You observe a strange vessel, looking almost too thin to stay upright, but stay it does. Sails cut into the shape of large birds catch the wind, and the whole ship has a sleek elegance to it. It looks to be of a similar size to your own. neither of your ships currently fly any colors.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-28, 07:48 PM
I'll find Sirri and inform her of the vessel.

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-28, 08:08 PM
I'll go with him to inform Sirri, after telling my druid companion. Milomile is going to be perched on my shoulder.

Provengreil
2013-09-28, 08:15 PM
The pair of you are less than perfectly aware of how a ship works, but nobody seems to have brought light of this ship forward. You guys decide to bring it up to Captain Sirri.

As you walk up the stairs to the quarterdeck, you overhear the first mate talking.

"...and we seem to be drifting. Something's wrong with the currents here, I'm sure of it. We need to turn 9 degrees west to get back on course, that's way too much too fast."

Sirri, standing on a platform to allow her to properly use the wheel, replies. "Aye, Mr. Spot, you're right." She turns the wheel slightly. "Hang a current droop o'er starboard, and inform the guys what's going on. I want every sailor here knowing the situation."

As the first mate leaves, Sirri addresses you. "Both of you? You got business, lads?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-28, 08:36 PM
"Yes, I've observed another vessel, a strange one, in that direction from our ship (pointing towards it). We've come simply to inform you of it."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-28, 08:41 PM
Crazy nods in agreement

Provengreil
2013-09-28, 08:45 PM
"Step 'ere and hold the wheel while I have a peek." She walks to the railway, gets a leg up, and uses her own rather worn spyglass to check it out.

"well, good eyes, you got it before our lookout even. Maybe I gotta thump him on the head. What we have there is an elven wingship. Lot sturdier than they look, and they're the fastest ships on the seas." She retakes the wheel. "The GOOD news is that they're never sold and rarely lost, so piracy is out of the question. The BAD news is that we have no idea who they are and what their intentions are. Did you lot have any enemies before coming on this trip? Because it seems to me that finding a ship of any kind just out of sight of our destination is a mighty coincidence, if you catch my meaning."

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-29, 08:06 AM
"I may have had a few in my lifetime, but then those like me usually do. I don't recognize that vessel as anyone who would be after me for any reason, though. I haven't had contact with a purely elvish community in some time, since I left home to pursue magical studies as a young boy."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-29, 10:53 AM
Crazy moves against the railing looking at the ship. "I've no elven enemies," he saysgruffly, "Well save for the dark elves." He turns, his red eyes the only thing visible under his dark brown hood. "Is there a way to hail them at this distance?"

Provengreil
2013-09-29, 11:26 AM
"We could signal them soon, but if they don't want to talk I'd rather not. Your mission is probably fine by them, but there's enough funny business with sideways currents and random seas that I'd rather not be too close to anther ship. They're a lot faster than we are, though, so a meeting happens if they want it, not if we do."

The dark-skinned Mr. Spot comes back up the stairs. "Maam, the current is heading straight out from the reefs. It doesn't make sense, they should be blocking it."

The captain considers the situation briefly. "Lock rudder West South West, and tack into the wind. We'll fight it until we slide by. Get someone up into the crows nest and tell lookey to keep an eye for reefs, and prepare to drop emergency anchor. Finally, keep an eye on that ship, out that way. I'm gonna check our charts, see if anything explains this."

The two of you idle as the orders are followed. For the next couple of hours, nothing much changes. the current stays, and the ship has lost speed from its direction change. The waves increase, but the size is barely perceptible, and from your limited experience, normal as the day goes on. The only significant change is the elven ship: it grows and grows, clearly approaching you on the sarboard side. At 1000 feet out, the captain takes a position on the quarterdeck and orders a white flag raised, and the ballista pointed port.

At this distance, there's little need for a spyglass. While the people themselves are too small to really see, the ship is clearly elegant in nature, half maritime vessel, half work of art, Two light ballistae rest on the forecastle, one pointing in each way. Light green wooden siding and railway line her port side, and 8 men are working the main deck.

Which part of the ship do each of you want to be on at this point?

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-29, 12:02 PM
Crazy will be next to the captain. "If they do not respond, I can either scry or fly over there," he said, "And if they mean ill intent, I'll blow them away..."

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-29, 12:52 PM
I'd like to be on the starboard side, keeping close watch of the ship. I'll be 5 feet away from the edge, my Steadying Robe letting me ignore any rocking of the ship. Milomile will be curled up in the hood at the back of my neck, safe from potential harm for the moment.

Provengreil
2013-09-29, 01:52 PM
The ship draws closer, about 500 feet, then turns a bit to sail parallel and raising a plain white flag. The inhabitants are all elves. When she sees this, Sirri breathes a small sigh. A hawk flies to your ship, carrying a small scroll on it. It deposits the scroll, then returns to the elven ship, sitting in the rigging.

When you open the scroll, it reads with a flowing script:

To the Commander of this vessel:

We fly a white flag, but are under orders not to let anyone past, by decree of Erikanus, King of the Samarlough elves. Set sail Southeast 1 day to avoid territorial waters, or drop anchor and prepare to receive boarding parties.

Regrettably yours,
Starbeam, Capt.
SMV Fairwind

"Uh oh. Just, uh, how important is this mission of yours?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-29, 03:12 PM
"Our story would be over before it begins," Crazy replies. "I believe Serville and I should meet with these elves and explain our case."

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-29, 10:11 PM
"Our mission is important, and good will come of it, though the results of my current aims are a bit more long-term in scope. I'd like to drop anchor and explain why we've come. If they still will not let us pass, then we should sail away peacefully, as these people wish. This could be a wonderful opportunity and I'd regret not trying to make the most of it."

Provengreil
2013-09-30, 05:21 AM
She gives the pair of you an interested look, then says, "I'm leaving negotiations to you then. I'm just your chartered ride, in the end.

"All hands, prepare to lay anchor! Slack sail, unlock the rudder, and prepare to receive visitors!"

A flurry of motions swirls around the ship. The ship loses what speed it still had, then all 4 anchors are dropped and it settles into place. The Fairwind eases forward, stopping about 200 feet out, and drops a small boat with 4 elves. You, Mr. Spot, Captain Sirri, and 2 sailors greet them on the main deck.

"A very good day to you, gentleman. Milady. I am captain Starbeam, and am under orders not to let anyone into the boiling reef. for what purpose are you headed there?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-30, 06:36 PM
Crazy takes a step forward and gave a slight bow. "I am Kraseish, a high druid of the Emerald Forest, Hero of the Kingdom or Lorac, and Slayer of the Dragon Lich Mordrake." He pauses a moment before continuing. "I have come to investigate the rumors of a sickened land and if I find such land. I vill cure it."

Provengreil
2013-09-30, 07:13 PM
The captain's eyes narrow at you. "Your rumors are true, as far as they go. but there is more to it.

"The waters themselves are boiling. That is neither hyperbole nor metaphor, you can fish for pre-cooked fish right now, though only monsters would still live. The jungle is rotting into a swamp of the worst kind, and the winds shift dangerously into storm weather when anyone approaches, from air or sea. While His Majesty decides what to do, His royal decree is that none shall enter these waters. Believe us, it's for your own safety."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-09-30, 07:18 PM
Crazy moves to the railing. "That would explain the water then..." He turns. "How is your craft sailing through these waters?"

Provengreil
2013-09-30, 07:20 PM
"Its not out here, you would be being overrun with ten foot seas or higher and we would be unable to have this conversation. The effect start another few leagues west. We can breach the edge of the storms, but little more."

DuSlaanesh
2013-09-30, 07:58 PM
"The decree may be for our own safety, but I am perfectly willing to put my own safety at risk if good may be done. These weather disturbances are unnatural and dangerous, and I have a hunch that magic is at work. As a magical scholar, I wish to learn exactly what is going on, and use my own magic and knowledge to counteract it. If at all possible I would also like to teach magic within your kingdom, for practical and good purposes."

Provengreil
2013-09-30, 08:19 PM
Captain Starbeam puts three fingers lightly to his forehead, closing his eyes. "Fine. If you and this crew are willing to risk ten foot seas in boiling water, with no possibility of help, then perhaps we didn't see you. And when you shipwreck, half your crew scalded to death and the rest boiled into the sea, you'll find lands with little edible food, little water, no shelter, and no aid will come. What then? will your careful study come in time to salvage the crew, or even yourself?

Do as you will, but we will not help. I wish you luck, but hold no hope."

He and his crew turn to leave.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-01, 06:39 PM
"Well, Sirri, what do you think? Are you still willing to risk these waters? If not, I'll understand. There is no need for you to risk the lives of yourself and your crew if you think it is as hopeless as Captain Starbeam makes it out to be. I still wish to go, even if I have to burn most of my magic flying there."

Provengreil
2013-10-01, 06:47 PM
As the elves begin to row back, She walks to the railings a few steps, then turns to face you. She's grinning ear to ear. "Are you kidding? we pull this one off, we'll be famous! All we need is a way to protect our sailors from the heat of the ocean, we can handle the wind and current. While the boiling is news, we were ready for some strong weather from day one!"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-01, 08:07 PM
"Leave the winds to me. I will bend them to our cause."

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-01, 08:40 PM
I'd like to cast Detect Magic and try to scan our environment, looking particularly at the sky and waters.

Provengreil
2013-10-01, 09:18 PM
"Bend the winds, eh? This might be easier than we though. Full speed ahead, mates! Lift anchor and head due west!" As a flurry of movement begins to make her words action, she turns to you. "Listen, this is going to be pretty harrowing, magic or not. If you can keep the winds from bowling us over, I can keep the crew from panicking, but do we have any defense against burns? some of this water will splash up high.

Keep the winds favorable, and pointed towards land. We can speed through the dangerous areas."

As the sails tighten, the ship lurches to the west, fighting the current. The captain orders extra hydration for all in preparation for the coming trials, and Crazy is perfectly happy to oblige.

After some time, you note the currents seem to have reversed. rather than pushing the ship out, you seem to be being pulled in. over the course of the next hour, the Ship whips along, each wave sending cool, salty sprays along nearly the whole deck. Sirri, coming up from a brief rest herself, orders an early shift change, changing the restless but worked sailors to the fresh, rested night crew. As the day wears on into evening, a restless quiet fills the ship. As night begins to fall, storm clouds can be seen on the horizon and the air feels much more muggy than a mid-fall evening should be. Nobody says it out loud, but everyone aboard is thinking the same thing. It's gonna be a wild night.

As dusk slips to darkness, the sails slacken, but the ship doesn't slow down. "We've entered a strong current. This isn't normal." Less than a minute later, it happens.

CRUNCH!!!

The entire crew is thrown off their feet, or out of their racks ans the ship runs into something below the waterline. "What the hells did we hit?" Cries Sirri. The lookout, who is hanging back onto the mainmast for dear life, peeks over the edge of the nest. "Looks like a reef! The current brought us into a..." His voice peters out for a moment. Then he screams. "UMBERLEE HELP US, ITS MOVING! THE REEF IS MOVING!"

The Riptide shudders as coral scrapes along its hull, and what looks like a gargantuan, 6 legged, moving coral reef rises out of the water. A torrent of warm water rushes off the thing, raining huge warm drops of water onto the crew.

"Man the ballista! You two, see if you can find a weak spot, then hit it there!"

The upper deck of the ship is pressed against the creature's "front" two legs. it has no discernible mouth or eyes, and appears to be made entirely out of coral. It rises barely ten feet above the ship, but it's legs are long enough to reach the bottom, some 60 feet down, or so previous checks suggest. the bottom is far beyond sight right now.

Roll into initiative.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-02, 04:07 PM
Initiative roll : 19

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-02, 06:35 PM
Crazy is going to attempt a knowledge nature check to see if he can figure out what this is and the best course of action.

KN : 32

Provengreil
2013-10-02, 06:41 PM
You've found a coral golem. These creatures are usually a lot shorter that the one in front of you, , but aside from that it seems normal. You recall that it might be able to shoot or throw bits of coral out as ranged attacks, that its bits tend to brow back fairly quickly, and that it's probably hollow at most points.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-03, 05:25 AM
Initiative 14

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-03, 09:17 PM
I'll jump overboard into the water and wildshape into a Huge Shark

Provengreil
2013-10-04, 07:44 PM
From your view underwater you see 6 long legs, glowing ever so slightly with bioluminescence, descending into the gloom. The eerie glow combined with the stark change in sound puts a surreal spin on the situation.

Above board, a pair of comparatively tiny arms rise from near the center of the golem. They strip of a pair of patches of coral off, and throw them. One sails into the rigging and gets tangles harmlessly into rope ladders, the other strikes a sailor in the arm, leaving a shallow gash. Two more fly forth, one breaking itself on the mainmast and another strikes a diffenet sailor right in the chest. The wound left by this one gives off a strange green faint glow, and the sailor seems to have trouble moving, gripping the mast for balance and shaking in the legs. He's stunned.

Serville's up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-05, 09:28 AM
I'm going to use a 4th level spell slot to cast a Consecrated Fireball at the creature. It will deal 40 damage, half of which is from a non-reducable divine source. If it's alright I'd like to specifically aim for one of the legs that I can see but is furthest from the ship (should it buckle, I'd rather not have it fall in our direction).

Provengreil
2013-10-05, 10:18 AM
You conjure the spell, holding it for a second while the Ship grinds against its legs, until....THERE! You let fly and a shining missile of fire ignites all around the right rear leg, at a joint near the surface. A large pocket of scorched coral falls off, the strange living sinews cooked to uselessness, revealing the leg to more like a tube. As you worry you might not have separated the leg like you wanted, a wave washes past and the thin bridge of coral remaining shatters under the strain. The creature teeters back briefly, but shift its other hind leg to the center and rebalances itself, stump wiggling uselessly.

Underwater, Crazy watches the leg separate, cracking into multiple pieces on its way down. Its opposite number lifts up quite fast from the depths, re-angles itself, and stabs back down. Taking the length of what you saw into account, the ocean here isn't near as deep ass you though: perhaps 60 feet, and the gloom just makes it appear bottomless.

"Fire!" Sirri shouts, and the sailors loose a ballista bolt right into the creature's main body. It tears off a sizeable section of coral, exposing a bit of a hollow cavern inside.

"Keep hitting it! Backup crew, get some hatchets from below and chip off the sharpest parts of the legs before they rip holes in the ship!"

Crazy is up.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-06, 05:09 PM
I'm going to swim over to the leg that it just stablized itself with and bite it about 20ft below the surface.

To Hit : 25
Damage : 18

Provengreil
2013-10-06, 06:04 PM
You grip a chunk of the coral, Ignoring the mild stinging of the polyps in your mouth, and jerk it with everything your aquatic body has. A few minor scratches and a bad taste in your mouth later, a small hole has been ripped into the leg.

crunch is spoiled

you didn't do a lot of damage, it has damage reduction 10. you don't know what cuts it, but nonmagical shark teeth don't seem to be the ticket.

The smaller arms that were throwing the coral stars extend forward and begin to smash at the crew. Serville ducks sideways, but not fast enough to avoid the first hit. He's knocked to his back, but this turns out to be a good thing as the second arm crashes into the railing and fails to hit him. A third attack aims itself at one of the sailors, missing by a mile and flailing uselessly in the air. The final crashing hit comes down square on the ballista, dealing moderate damage. Serville, a tad shaken but otherwise OK, scrambles to his feet to continue fighting.

As the current pushes the ship harder into the creatures long legs, it lowers its body a bit and pushes back. The wood begins to groan a bit.

More crunch:

Serville takes 21 damage, but makes a fortitude save (I rolled it in the interest of time. If you'd rather I wouldn't do that, just say so.)
The ballista took 9 damage, out of a total of 25.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-07, 06:25 PM
I'm going to cast Fly on myself, then soar 30 feet into the air (as ascension is at half speed).

That will be it for me.

Provengreil
2013-10-07, 08:52 PM
The crew reloads the crossbow, and takes some cover. Sirri, seeing no need for further orders at the moment, focuses on the wheel, attempting to...do something. You aren't quite sure where she's going with it.

Crazy is up. Over the course of the creature's last turn, the hole you tore healed completely.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-08, 06:17 PM
Ok, I'm going to swim about 10 feet from the surface and cast Blizzard under the water

Provengreil
2013-10-09, 03:39 PM
Aside from a precipitous drop in temperature, very little changes under the gloomy surface, aside from its complete blackout. The dim glow of the remaining legs seems subtly brighter.

Above the surface, complete confusion reigns. Visiblility drops to zero as huge amounts of snow are coughed into existence. Shouts of confusion arise from the crew, but they can't make themselves understood. Visibility and audibility quickly drop to zero.

If the golem makes a move, Serville and the crew can't tell what it did.

Crazy Only

From your much less obstructed view underwater, the creature appears to just sit there. The surface is quickly piling up with snow for hundreds of feet in each direction. Most of it melts, but the water is getting very cold very fast.

Serville's up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-09, 04:42 PM
As I can no longer see or hear, and I'm flying in the air in a buffeting storm, I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do. I'll try to cast Detect Magic and see if I can detect the golem's animation enchantments through the storm.

Provengreil
2013-10-09, 07:19 PM
You can assume, and frankly should at this level, that you and your allly would know each other's spells ready. you'd pretty much know Crazy's behind this, is what I'm saying. given that assumption, will you change actions?

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-09, 07:28 PM
I know he's behind it, but he's a shark underwater, I'm 30 feet above the ship which puts me minimum 50 feet above the water, I cannot see or hear anything, and for all I know the ship has moved out from under me at this point with the current so trying to land could be dangerous and put me in reach of the golem, so that will be my action for the moment yes, after I ascend another 30 feet upwards into the air.

Provengreil
2013-10-09, 08:20 PM
fair enough.

Your magical detection lights up everything in your vision. Not an unexcpected result, given the nature of the blizzard you're surrounded by. However, another, distinctly different aura radiates from the middle. the golem is at the edge of your magical sight, and hasn't moved. As the wind whistles in your ears and your teeth begin to chatter a bit, you already can't wait for the duration of this particular spell to be over.

Unknown movements happen on deck as the ship and crew take their turn.

Crazy is up.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-10, 05:13 AM
I'm going to swim directly beneath the golem and cast Control Winds. I'm going to use the clockwise rotation for this spell centered directly on me with a "calm" area with enough room to fit my shark form.

Provengreil
2013-10-10, 03:44 PM
There are no winds underwater. Choose a different action.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-10, 08:21 PM
Well then I'll swim to the surface then and cast it.

Provengreil
2013-10-10, 08:29 PM
you surface in an ever growing snowdrift on the now icy surface. you cast the wind control spell. you've now completely lost track of your target.

The snow falls straight down on top of your head, and swirls around in circles for everyone else.

Up in the air, Serville feels the wind kick up.

Suddenly, even through the howling blizzard, a huge cracking sound resonates from the ship's direction. Serville's up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-10, 08:41 PM
Now that I've got a little bit better sight thanks to Detect Magic, I would like to fly 60 feet closer, then aim for the closest leg I can see (or guess at, I'd imagine it would be hard to pick out details. If I need to roll some kind of test here please let me know) and fire another Consecrated Fireball at it.

Provengreil
2013-10-10, 08:53 PM
Seeing as you are 60 feet from the golem, I'll assume 40 and we can retcon your position as needed.

As you drift down, you study the shape of the aura. as a particularly large wave surges the ship against its front legs, you see it rock back, then forward again, and realize which direction is likely which. taking aim at the bit you're most certain is a leg, you fire down with another fireball. (rolling, surprisingly, the same damage.)

As the heat filters up through the air, it melts a brief path in the snow, and you can see that you've charred the center left leg to a stump and a sunken pile of coral.

Then, as the welcomeflash of heat and visibility dissipates, you catch the slightest glimps of the crew, several of whom are beating on the sharpes edges of the golem, trying valiantly to keep it from puncturing through the wood. Then your vision fades to intensely thick flurries of night snow.

Crazy is up again. The waves and current are thrashing you a bit, and the biting cold has reached you a bit more. sleet is piling up fast, and you won't be able to "surface" much longer as the top layer of water has lost most ability to melt it.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-12, 11:09 AM
I'm going to wildshape into a Dire Polar Bear and attempt to use its scent ability to locate the ship. And move towards it if possible.

Provengreil
2013-10-12, 12:55 PM
You begin fighting your way through the deep slushy water towards the ship, where a lot of human and elf scent is concentrated.

As you swim, the current gets greatly disturbed, and you hear an eardrum straining cracking sound, first of wood, then a deeper, rocker crack.

You struggle a few more feet, and it's Serville's turn.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-12, 05:50 PM
I'm going to bless my lucky stars that I was able to hit anything in this weather, and with gusto and righteous fury lob another consecrated fireball at the nearest golem leg I can see. This will deal 42 damage (21 fire, 21 unreducable).

Provengreil
2013-10-12, 07:16 PM
Serville
As yet another huge chunk of coral sinks to the bottom, the creature finally begins to shift backwards. as the weight of the ship pushes it forward on its now unstable frame, you see the aura raise a titanic section and bring it down, accompanied by a deafening crash from the ship. The main body sinks below the thick floating snowdrift.

Crazy
Another crash, this one even louder. A huge current catches you, greater than ever. As the snows swirl around you and you're forced underwater, then above into a slush drift, you've completely lost your bearings.

Crazy is up.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-12, 07:28 PM
Alrighty, I'm going to wildshape again into an orca and dive below the surface.

Provengreil
2013-10-15, 05:39 AM
I apologize for not answering this earlier, somehow didn't get the email. should've checked the forum.

Crazy:
As you dive below, the howling of the frigid winds goes away. The surface is covered in chunky bits of ice and huge drifts of half-melted snow, obscuring all light. The bioluminescent monstrosity glows with a ghostly white, and it's massively shifted position. One leg rises out of the water, and two reach back towards the depths. Three burned off stumps wiggle pointlessly, and the whole of the body is submerged. The hull of the ship is clearly listing terribly.

As you watch, the monstrosty pulls itself up a few feet, then lets itself fall back to its current position. The resulting cracking of wood makes a sound that reverberates through the water, crashing against your ears.

Another, though much smaller, cracking sound pierces through the howling blizzard. You see the aura shift a bit, then settle momentarily. Serville's up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-15, 03:49 PM
As I suppose is predictable, I'm firing another Consecrated Fireball at the furthest leg I can make out. 33 damage, 16ish fire and 16ish irreducable.

Provengreil
2013-10-15, 09:11 PM
Whenever there's an odd number, I'm gonna give the extra point to unreduceable damage.

Serville
Flinging another fireball into the fray, for the first time the leg fails to give way to the weakened section. Through the brief flash of cleared snow, however, you see quite a horrifying sight.

The creature's main body is submerged completely. One titanic leg has risen up, spiked down into the ship's forecastle, the other two not visible to normal or magical sight. The ballista is broken, three apparently dead sailors nearby. The entire ship is listing terribly far under the golem's weight.

Through the momentary clarity, several more rush forward with moderately sized axes to try and hack the leg out of there, but a new wave of snow sweeps through your vision, obscuring all once again.

However, even as you curse the snow and your bad luck to fail on separating the last leg, another crack weakly penetrates the blizzard, followed by a huge swirl of water. The aura disappears completely.

Crazy
As you look up at the golem, contemplating attack vectors, the golem suddenly becomes dislodged. 4 burned and chipped legs wiggle uselessly as it finally succombs to the current, being pushed over on only two legs. Caught on the spiked edges of one of the legs is a sailor, his clothing hopelessly tangled on the jagged coral. It hits the bottom, a weak thud echoing through the black water, its ghostly silhouette just visible in the black water at the bottom.

With a lurch, the Riptide rights itself and surges forward with the current. you yourself, decide to let the water carry you finally, keeping pace with the ship effortlessly. Even through the water, you can hear the wind and blizzard rage above you, the spells moving with you, their target center.

A few moments later, the blizzard comes to a halt as Serville lands hard on the deck, having barely kept pace as the ship surged forward once free of the obstruction. Huge drifts of snow have piled up both on the ship and around it, though the ones in the water are melting fairly fast. Crazy calls the winds to a halt as the sailors throw him a rope, and get him aboard.

Stuck into the front of the ship, dead center on the forecastle, is a giant, hollow, coral spike. Surrounding it are the remains of the ballista, and three corpses. most of the rest of the crew seems shaken, but unharmed.

"Quick, get as much snow out of the lifeboat as you can, the drop it and get some more. all hands, gather snow and pack it inside! we'll want some insulation for as long as possible later!" Sirri is already taking advantage of the lack of noise. "Mr. Spot, take the helm. You and you, stop packing snow for a moment to slack all sails, they aren't helping right now! Then see to it that these three are secured, we can give them a proper sea burial later.

She adresses Serville and Crazy directly now, panting a bit. "*hahh, hahh.* what WAS that?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-16, 04:56 PM
"This appears to be some kind of massive golem made out of coral. Constructing this thing must have taken a great deal of time, effort, and power. I would be very interested in knowing just who made it. This person or persons may be responsible for this whole mess we're investigating."

Looking at the crew and their activity,

"Is there any way we can help at the moment?"

Provengreil
2013-10-16, 05:01 PM
"We need to prepare for violent, boiling seas. The snow might insulate us for a few minutes, but it'll melt fast. If you can do something about that, please do. This current is going to take us somewhere, though, and I don't know where that is. Seems to be toward shore, and quite fast at that. Not that I think that's a bad thing."

She sighs. "Is that turtle of yours capable of anything other than eating all of our fruit?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-18, 09:14 PM
"I don't have access to any spells that would be of significant aid in that regard, but I do have a couple of ideas.

First, I can allow up to six individuals to fly with my remaining power, which would allow them to get about 540 feet before the spell runs out. If we can't quite make it to shore that could allow us to close the gap, albeit with few supplies. I can additionally teleport myself and three others to a location within 760 feet, carrying all that we can.

Second, I'd like to ask Crazy if making another Blizzard or something similar to it would be possible any time soon?"

Provengreil
2013-10-19, 11:15 PM
"Feet, kid? We're gonna have to cross a couple nautical miles. This current is gonna drive us ashore, and fast, but I need my men to not be burnt to death when we get there. Another blizzard would help, or maybe you can lift the ship, or ward off the water somehow. We can deal with sea monsters, we can hold our own on rough seas, but the boiling's the real issue."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-20, 09:09 AM
"Gunter can move around things and help hold them in place. Now in terms of cold, I can still summon a Sleetstorm. I'm not entirely sure if that'll help with the seas and it will cause us to go blind until it ends."

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-21, 09:22 PM
"Crazy, we're looking to protect ourselves from extreme heat. It'll use up most of my power, but I can cast enough protections and resistances to energy to shield fifteen of us from the heat. (Looking at Crazy) Do you have any magic with similar effects?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-22, 06:35 PM
Crazy shook his head. "It seems that we're going to where we want to go whether we want to or not. "Perhaps we can form a barrier around the ship itself. Or at least the top half."

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-23, 06:21 PM
"Sounds like a solid plan. Do you have any magic that could form such a barrier?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-23, 06:28 PM
Crazy shook his head. "Nay. However we may be able to do something with the sails. I doubt we'll be needing them since we're being pulled in with or without them. I say we make them as sort of an oven mitt around the areas of the ship where we can expect the most activity. With luck, that sails will hold and it will fell like a sauna from the inside."

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-25, 08:04 PM
"Well unfortunately we're pressed for time, with the shore quickly approaching and boiling water lapping at the hull."

Looking at Sirri,
"Because of our insistence on coming out here several of your crew members are dead. I will do everything in my power to ensure that no more of you are lost, even if it should cost me dearly. ... you may need to tie me down after this next part."

I'm going to cast my protection and resistance from/to energy spells on 12 of the crew members including the captain, leaving one resistance to energy left. I'm going to cast that on myself, direct the remaining crew, Crazy, and his animal companion to an area on deck that includes a wall, and cast the cantrip resistance on them just to be safe. Then I'll Polymorph myself into a 32-foot long Aboleth, wrapping myself as best I can around them, so that myself and the wall form a barrier against the water.

Provengreil
2013-10-26, 09:23 AM
Even as you go to cast your immunity spell onto Sirri, she redirects you to Mr. Spot, saying, "Mr. Spot. You're in command here. I'll stick with the unwarded men. Get the sails half-tight for balance, and just keep to the current: I've checked over the charts again, it should run us aground, which is a good thing right now."

Mr. Spot takes the wheel and begins giving orders to the relevant men. Sirri follows in with the unwarded men, placing trust that you've come up with a good idea. Upon seeing your transformation, she realizes what you've thought of, and gets a couple ideas of her own to improve it.

"You there," pointing at a random sailor in the group, "Bring the spare jib up." He comes back up with a small sail in a minute, which is a good thing: as he steps on deck, you all feel a tingle as you pass into a magical detection zone. The current surges, knocking several sailors off their feet, and a thunderous crack rattles your ears. The water instantly begins to steam slightly, and the air gets moist quite fast.

"Hurry up, man!" He runs over, and the group quickly covers your fishlike body and forms a tent in the safe area inside, using the tortoise to hold the corners together in the center. As the waves begin to crash around you, everyone grabs onto something to just ride it out. With one exception.

Standing in the center of her ship, half covered by the tarp, half exposed to the now fiercely steaming mists, She begins to sing. It's in her native language, so you don't understand it, but her voice cuts the wind and lifts everyone's spirits. You feel like you could conqueror the world, like you're immune to the danger on all sides. The waters rush over in spray and wave, and your wards hold, the crew unharmed. Whenever a bit swamps the tent, without a break or hesitation she turns and casts a spell, mass cure light wounds, onto the group. This is only necessary a few times, as between your warded body and the tent, only the smallest bits of water reach through.

The storm continues to rage, the winds howling, and as time drags on for some of the longest minutes of your life, you wonder if your errand wasn't as foolish as the elf suggested. You find yourself trying to count the minutes until you lose your shape change, when CRRRUUUNCH!

Almost instantly, the storm slowly begins to die and you lose most of your motion. the water, still scalding, is no longer washing over the sides. Mr spot runs over and finally interrupts the captain's song. "We've run aground, Cap. we're through."

Even as she stops singing, you want more, you never want it to stop. But you know that there's more that needs to be done. "Good," she says, a bit tired sounding. "Haul shore anchor and put a pair of watches. The everyone else can sleep. We'll pick up our bearings tomorrow."

Serville, you're still in aboleth form for a minute or two. Would you guys like to do anything before retiring for the night?

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-26, 09:44 AM
I have nothing more that I wish to do, honestly I'm quite eager to rest and recover my spellcasting power.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-26, 02:30 PM
I would like to examine the extent of damage to the ship and what the area we run aground looks like.

Provengreil
2013-10-26, 08:06 PM
As you walk around the ship, you can see a large, hollow, coral spike jammed into the front end, straight down. The deckboards around is are bent and broken. the starboard side of the ship is covered in deep scratches, but nothing seems too deep.

You climb a line down to the shore, where the water has beached you curiously far upshore. As you walk, the sand seems strangely crunchy, as if it were large chunks rather than fine grit. You place your hand on the hull, and it comes away with a black, tarry substance on it. Even with your enhanced night vision, there is almost no light to see by, and you can't see for more than a few scant feet of sand. you hear no sound but the ocean.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-26, 09:25 PM
Then I'm going to call it a night then.

Provengreil
2013-10-27, 01:59 PM
You climb back up, find your hammock, on rest for the night. In the morning, the pair of you awake to The sounds of some hustle above and around.

The sailors are up, aside from the sentries from the precious night. You hear to find Mr. Spot directing an offloading effort: the crew will be making camp off ship, it sounds like. As you step into the late morning sun, you take in the situation.

There is a heavy, warm fog in the air. Perhaps you were too exhausted to care last night, or perhaps they were quieted by the storm, but the area inland has the sounds of a swamp. The sands you can see have a half-melted look to them, as though they've been under incredible waves of heat. The entire lower half of the ship, mostly below the waterline, is leaking something black, slowly but in large quantities.

Sirri sees you step outside, and walks over to greet you with a strangely cheery manner. "Ahoy! She's seen better days, but the ship will be fine soon enough. We sent a couple guys to look ahead, they say there's plenty of wood to fashion repairs with, we'll just need some time. Do you have a plan from here?"

NOTE:
Crazy, when you start a new day, please drop a spoiler with your spell list, thanks.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-28, 08:15 PM
"I'd like to scout the area a bit, seeing what magic I can detect from high locations and moving on from there."

I'm going to use my Dimensional Jaunt feat to teleport around 20 feet at a time, at will, as standard actions, since I have Dimension Door available.

"I can cover a lot of ground fairly quickly without expending any effort, and in addition I can turn invisible for extended periods to avoid danger. As Crazy and I travel, I can phase around in a radius around him and his tortoise to check for threats."

Turning to crazy,

"Any preference on what direction you'd like to take from here? We could stick to the coast, or go further inland..."

I'd also like to see if I can see any particularly high spots from here.

Provengreil
2013-10-28, 08:33 PM
You can't really see anything through all the heavy fog, but you're quite sure that there will be a few trees here and there to try scouting from, at least. the closest high location is the crows nest, tilted though it is, just a short climb off.

While Crazy ponders his best course of action silently and Sirri goes the her quarters to see if she has a relevant map, you climb the rigging. As you crest to a thinner fog, your ideas of the trees are confirmed; scraggly, barren treetops rise above the thick layers of fog, looking like blackened claws reaching from the murky white fog. Off in the distance is a line of misty mountaintops.

Having gathered all the data you can, you return to the main deck, where crazy appears ready to speak.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-30, 10:52 AM
I think we should start small. You and I should go in about a five mile radies. We could take someone who can make a map as we go along. I'll be gathering information on the environment.

Lv-0 Create waterx2, Detect Magic x2, Light, Guidance. Lv-1 Winged Watcher, Entangle, Shallelagh, Obscuring Mist, Camoflague Lv-2 Blinding spittle, nature's favor, brambles, barkkin, halo of sand. Lv-3, Venomfire, Cure Mod Wounds, Sleetstorm. Lv-4 Enhance Wildshape, last breath, passage of shifing sands, scry. Lv- 5 Treestride, Control winds, Baleful Polymorph

Provengreil
2013-10-30, 04:18 PM
Sirri returns, holding a small, worn scroll. Unfurled, its revealed to be a simple map. It shows a river leading to a large basin, surrounded by mountains. On the far side of the west mountains is the sea, on the north, south, and east of the ring of mountains is land. The legend shows the entire basin to be about 70 miles wide.

"If I'm right, this is where we are." She points at the eastern edge of the lake in the center. It's about 8 miles to the mountains proper. Try concentrating your search close to the riverbed, in the foothills. If you find anything, that's where it'll probably be. Oh, and try not to let this come to damage."

She offers you the parchment.

DuSlaanesh
2013-10-30, 07:40 PM
"Thank you very much, we'll be sure to check there first."
I'll take it, and stow it away securely.

"Sounds like we've got a plan, let us examine the area."

I'd like to start walking towards the riverbed, alongside Crazy if he's willing.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-10-31, 04:57 AM
That sounds like a plan. Let us begin.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-03, 07:22 AM
To crazy:

"...this map confuses me. If we're completely surrounded by mountains right now, how did we get to where we are? After we investigate where we're headed, I'd like to go and see the mountains. The only thing that comes to mind is that the mountain might be an illusion of some sort, but I cannot imagine the power it would take to generate it..."

Provengreil
2013-11-03, 08:36 AM
You set off to the east, walking together into the misty swamp. The sounds of the sailors working are quickly overtaken by the sounds of the misty swamp. visibility is low, and movement is a bit slow because of the tortoise. As you travel, Crazy largely takes the leade, reading the tiny currents to try and fin a rivermouth.

Suddenly, off to the south somewhere, you hear a nigh unmistakeable sound: the battle-roar of a dragon.

What would you like to do?

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-03, 05:55 PM
"... considering our poor visibility and my knowledge of dragons, I'm not sure I'd want to head that way. What do you think?"

Provengreil
2013-11-04, 07:53 PM
FB session:

You saw a black dragon, which was retreating without having given apparent battle, and left a strange leaving comment.

The dwarves were the Thunderbrew brothers, Alfred, Ben, and Richard. Apparently there's at least one more ally they have, one Commander Featherforge.

The event that occurred when you arrived has been termed meltdown by this team. They have apparently been here for some time, investigation some powerful magic that has some unusually hostile defenses: the swamp's denizens are being driven to extinction.

We now join you on your trip back to the dwarves' base camp.

"Are we there yet?"

"Blast, Ben, yer the bloody scout! You've got better eyes th'n I do! Do you see it yet? NO!"

The dwarves have been bickering loudly, but the building frustration seems to have kept them energetic enough to move through the swamp: you guys can barely keep up. As you move through, some of the fog has begun to clear. You can see farther, but what you see is rather disheartening. Trees are wilted and dying, most smaller vegetation already turned to strange, stinking mush. Nothing is apparently living well.
Hours pass, and finally the fog lifts as the ground gets hillier, less swampy. the terrain quickly changes to mountainous foothills, and the dwarves grab a compass and begin taking constant headings. While they do, you look around properly. While the fog still hangs lightly over the swamp, you can see the sad, rotting land goes for miles. A veritable wall of mountains lies before you, treacherous and steep, but one feature in particular stands out. Visible at easily 2 miles away, a gigantic, steep cliff face has a laval flow coming out of it, looking like a glowing open wound on the earth itself. Something very strange is going on here.

The dwarves track through the foothills, the afternoon getting on, and finally come to 11 stone huts, simple domes with an opening on one side around a firepit. One is much large than the rest. Fiery blast marks score the area, and tracks of all sorts of bizarre natures are carved around. There's no one to be seen.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-05, 07:24 PM
I'm going to look around for any signs of living people, concerned.

Provengreil
2013-11-05, 10:38 PM
As you look around, the dwarves head for some of the huts. "This is the camp, but what happened?"

Upon closer inspection, some of the scorch marks are actually more like fiery trails. Various creatures, not all of which were humanoid, did battle here. As you continue to inspect the area, Ben speaks up. "The commander fought hard here. There were many foes, probably from the caverns... As many as 15 against her and Gelt. But I don't see any bodies. They got out, probably hidin' somewhere, hunkered in till mornin."

Richard, moving through the center, brushes an ashy log on the firepit as he passes by. A few flames flare up...then get larger. Fast.

Within ten seconds, there's a roaring blaze in the center of the camp. As the flames reach higher and farther than yourselves and the edges of the pit, splinters break off, living chunks of the flame: man sized fire elementals are pouring out from the fire.

"Crap! It's one of the defenses! Och, we shoulda known!"

Roll initiative!

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-06, 05:28 PM
Initiative roll : 16

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-06, 07:47 PM
Initiative 20

Provengreil
2013-11-07, 08:06 AM
The turn order is:

Elementals
Serville
Allies
Crazy

The six elementals move in on their targets: three at your dwarven allies, three more at you guys. you stop paying too much attention to what's happening below, as two move in on Crazy and one on Serville, swinging their fiery limbs towards you. They leave thin scorch trails on the ground, solving one small mystery.

Their arms catch crazy in a swirl of flames, dealing 10 damage over 2 hits, and he catches fire. Serville is also caught flat footed and can't get out of the way in time, taking 7 damage. His clothes do not catch, however.

Serville's up.

Catching fire:

The flames burn for 1d4 rounds (Crazy got a 3). Each round it'll do 1d6 damage. You can take a move action, with no check, to put it out, but that action will provoke attacks of opportunity, which have a chance to immediately relight the fire.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-07, 05:33 PM
On a hunch, I'd like to try casting a targeted 20-ft burst Dispel Magic centered on the central fire (black obelisk on the map). That said, as per the rules for Dispel Magic, is there anything in this area that I can make dispel checks against?

Provengreil
2013-11-07, 06:31 PM
The elementals are unfazed, but the fire dies down completely, back to a pile of ash.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-07, 06:40 PM
I'm going to step back 5 feet.

"I didn't put the fire out permanently. I'd suggest we get out of here as soon as possible."

Provengreil
2013-11-07, 07:03 PM
The dwarves draw weapons, and crowd in. Two of them hold paired shortswords, the third a shortsword and a longsword. They focus attacks on one elemental and it quickly wicks away to nothing.

Crazy is up.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-08, 07:53 PM
"Allow me to attempt to extinguish."
I'm going to take a 5ft step away from the attacking elementals and cast Sleetstorm.

Concentration check if needed : 32

Provengreil
2013-11-09, 08:02 AM
The check is needed, but for being on fire, not the elementals. You pass though.

A large sleet storm arises, greatly obscuring visibility. A great hissing sound arises from the elementals as the sleet melts to water and hits their mostly insubstantial flaming bodies.

Blinded, getting wet, and angry, the elementals take more attacks at you guys. the sleet storm causes them to miss, save one strike at Crazy. Crazy takes a total of 11 damage from being on fire and taking the hit.

The map is pretty much the same except that crazy and his attackers have each gone one square north. Serville is up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-09, 12:51 PM
I'm going to take a 5-ft step backwards and cast Resist Energy upon myself, naturally selecting fire.

That's it for me.

Provengreil
2013-11-09, 12:56 PM
You all can't see you allies, so crazy is up immediately.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-09, 04:46 PM
I'm going to 5ft step backwards again. Wildshape into a dire eagle and fly 20ft upwards.

Concentration check if needed : 30

Provengreil
2013-11-09, 04:53 PM
The elementals, still hissing in the sleet, swing their appendages at you, but miss as your form shifts. you beat your new wings with everything you have, and just rise above the storm. The view from above is rather strange, as an almost perfectly flat plane of sleet spans under you in all directions for 20 feet. you estimate yourself to be right over the fire's ashes now.

The elementals, hissing violently as drops of sleet turn to water on and in their bodies. Two flares in the sleet lurch about, unseeing and unaware, barely visible only by their own light. The one in front of Serville Focuses on its target, Slamming home for 7 physical damage and 5 blocked fire damage. the sensation is curious without the burning, but whatever's behind those flames is still substantial enough to hurt.

Serville's up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-09, 09:06 PM
I'm going to cast Fly, then fly 30ft into the air.

Provengreil
2013-11-10, 12:11 PM
You're soon treated to the same view as Crazy. It's now crazy's turn. you both left the elementals ten feet in from the north edge of the cylindrical storm.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-10, 07:14 PM
I'm going to cast create water on the closest elemental.

Provengreil
2013-11-10, 07:29 PM
you dump several gallons of water on the closes flare, barely visible through the sleet. a huge hissing sound arises, and the light dies down considerable. tell me where you're moving to (birds must have motion in air, at good maneuverability). in the meantime, the elementals begin charging north, right past the tortoise which long since took cover in its shell, out of the storm as fast as they can. they're heading towards the lava-leaking crag. One seems seriously diminished.

Serville is up.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-10, 09:11 PM
Since I can still see elementals through the sleet but barely, I'm going to cast a consecrated fireball at the nearest one I can see, dealing 15 fire damage and 15 general irreducable damage.

Provengreil
2013-11-10, 09:21 PM
they're actually far out of the storm, which is right under you and 40 feet wide. They're beating...fire trail to the north at run speed, which is 200 feet/round. you've got one fireball at them.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-10, 09:47 PM
In that case I won't be launching any fireballs.

Trying to be heard over the storm,
"ARE YOU ALL OKAY DOWN THERE?"

Provengreil
2013-11-10, 11:00 PM
"We're fine! can ye do this more? weather's great!" The voice sound genuine as the last of the lights dim to nothing.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-12, 09:11 PM
Shouting to Crazy,

"It seems we're all set! Let's land and move on!"

I'll touch down and do my best to find the dwarves.

Provengreil
2013-11-13, 05:16 PM
You stumble around blindly for several moments, and find the dwarves as the storm subsides. There is now a 40 foot radius of rapidly melting snow surrounding what used to be a firepit.

"Well that was 'n adventure. Still, it bodes ill. Tha creatures o' tha crag have been reluctant ta follow us out.

But for what litt'e i's worth, yeh've earned my trust. Commander Featherforge c'n be a bit paranoid, but if'n you c'n show her yeh mean to help and won't hold us back, she'll likely welcome yer aid."

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-15, 07:26 PM
"Your trust means much to me, I will do my best not to let anyone down. Where might we find Commander Featherforge, from here?"

Provengreil
2013-11-15, 08:59 PM
"Right behind ye, lad."

You turn in surprise, and see two more people coming towards you from the northern edge of camp. One is another dwarf, clad in a red dragonhide armor, it's skull covering his right shoulder. He carries a large axe with his right hand, left unburdened. The blade edge is a strange bright blue, but you can't see it well with the edge still swinging.

His companion is an elf with very tan skin, a woman. She's thin, like all elves, but long times spent on the front lines have scarred her face somewhat. The scales of her armor are each tipped with a blue crystal. A scimitar is sheathed on one side, a small, hurricane shaped buckler on the other.

"Yes, here I am. I am Commander Featherforge." She says. You sense the dwarves behind you tense up just a bit. She stares daggers into your eyes, sizing you up. "But who, I wonder, are you? Who sent you? With the magic you showed, you certainly aren't just lost, and I very much doubt you're natives. Why have my men taken leave of their senses and led you here? Are there more of you? What ideas do you hold, what problems might you be able to solve for me...how dangerous might you be?" She's pacing now, her men having shifted to full attention. "The General certainly didn't send you. No one knows unless...no." She stops pacing. "Speak, then, and I heavily advise you to stay truthful."

Out of Order crunch:

Before the above conversation, you found in the fire's remains:
-Amulet of natural armor +3
-A pair of boots curiously undamaged by the flames

also, take 3000 XP each.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-16, 02:35 PM
"My name is Serville, and this is Crazy. We have come from outside the island to investigate the weather disturbances and help where we can. Our ship and its crew suffered heavy damage and losses but can be found to the northwest of here. We truly mean no harm, and will be more than happy to aid you however we can, assuming it is for a noble cause..."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-20, 07:42 PM
Crazy will be watching the elf as she paces. "What he said, followed by your own questions back at you."

Provengreil
2013-11-21, 05:43 PM
"Back at me, then? Hmm. I suppose that's fair enough.

I've already introduced myself, and I'm here on a mission from The General. Obviously, that means I'm not a native. What you see here is the last of my forces. This clearly leaves me with little option but to accept aid offered, but only insofar as that aid is actually helpful.

The only deal to be had is thus: You help me disable the rest of the seals of the Fireheart. Anything you find along the way is yours to keep. I realize you probably care little for us or our mission, but your friends on the boat...they will be hostages to your own ineptitude.

So the choice is yours. Stay with us, stay out of our way, or brave the passage out, if that's even possible. What will it be?"

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-22, 10:51 AM
"What exactly is your mission, and what are the seals of the Fireheart?"

Provengreil
2013-11-22, 05:03 PM
"My exact mission is the recovery of the Fireheart. The seals are in the way, and must be broken.

The questions are done with. Help me do this, or get out of my way."

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-24, 09:03 AM
"... very well. I shall accompany you, and assist where I can. Crazy?"

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-24, 01:21 PM
I'm going to attempt a knowledge nature check on the Fireheart - 32

Provengreil
2013-11-24, 01:35 PM
Check results. Crazy only unless he says he speaks up about it.
You remember hearing something in druidic teachings of the Fireheart. Apparently it was some small trinket, easily fit into the palm of one's hand, that gave some sort of powers concerning heat. It was supposed to be connected to a set of three others, one each for ice, electricity, and earth. Their origins were said to be by-products of the creation of the world, though if there's an actual purpose it's been lost to time. They were last heard from over 1800 years ago, and only the most ancient beings might even remember the times themselves, let alone the hearts.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-24, 05:11 PM
Crazy shakes his head. "Unless you deluge more details of your mission and objectives with the hearts, I'm inclined to deny your request."

Provengreil
2013-11-24, 05:15 PM
"My mission is to lead my men to the objective I'm given, and succeed. I'm following the orders of the general.

If you cannot accept that, then get out of our way."

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-24, 06:30 PM
"Very well then." I'm going to turn and start to head back the way we came.

Provengreil
2013-11-24, 09:11 PM
Knowledge Arcana for Serville (Roll=25)

While "Fireheart" doesn't ring a bell as a name or title, you do recall something in your research, tangentally at least. There were mentions of theoretical controls that could be placed on heat, cold, electricity, and even the earth, channeled through a quartet of small but powerful nodes. Between the obvious effects on the land and sea, and the name, this sounds like those.

How to use such items effectively was never theorized, as such ideas were dismissed as fairy tales. Such elements of nature, scholars theorized, wouldn't simply be forgotten.

DuSlaanesh
2013-11-24, 09:28 PM
"Crazy, I'd like to ask you to come with us and aid me, if not the Commander here. Such a power is either responsible for the changes in this region or could be used to alleviate the problem, and we would not want it falling into the wrong hands..."

I'll move nearer to Featherforge, ready to follow.

CrazyLittleMan2
2013-11-25, 07:29 AM
"My thoughts, though slightly different. We don't want it falling into the wrong hands." I'll move further away from the group, in the direction that we came.

Provengreil
2013-11-28, 08:49 PM
start of marktime posts.

It's getting on to dusk, and Crazy is walking back into the hot, misty swampland. Serville is standing in the camp, surrounded by gruff dwarves and being eyed sternly be the battle-scarred Commander Featherforge. As Crazy disappears into the gloom, we move individual sessions to FB.

Provengreil
2013-11-28, 11:04 PM
marking time again:
Serville's adventure:

in the cave system, undoing seals. has just defeated a delver. approx 10:00 in the morning.

Crazy's adventure:

Met Naralex, Large black dragon. Stole Serville's clothes, CMDR's table, CMDR's books from camp. Scried on exploration team, did not see Serville or CMDR. approx 11:00 AM

Provengreil
2013-11-30, 10:03 PM
MARK TIME!

Crazy:

Returned to the hammock with Sirri and crew. Naralex took possession of the diary, seems to be more ally than anything else. The hammock is being turned into a hidden camp, but you have news that points to you having 2 seals before they break them all. You don't know exactly what happens then.

It is 8:00 am.

Serville:

Dispelled a seal, but returned to find the camp looted. the commander got very angry, binding and threatening torture,until she found the mark on his chest. Now it's morning after a strange nightmare, and the camp is being packed in. the commander ahsn't given orders for the day.

8:00 AM