PDA

View Full Version : [PF] TWF with sneak attack and rage abilities?

Unbalanced
2013-09-28, 02:44 AM
Looking at making up a character which suits the title description.

Not looking for massive sneak attack bonuses, but at least a few D6 would be nice. Also not looking for a massive duration on the rages, but generally enough to last out the battle once he loses temper and enters his rage.

Keen on TWF, preferably with spiked gauntlets, cestuses, punching daggers, brass knuckles or axe knuckles. Always loved the up close and personal approach. Or, hey, even unarmed would be awesome if I could make it work.
Want to be great at sneaking and aim to move in for sneak attacks, but he'll have an anger problem, and when his sneaking attempts fail he loses his temper and enters rage mode going nuts at his enemies.

Thinking a small race with high dex. Not really sure where else to go with this.
I hear TWF is fairly feat intensive, so I was thinking perhaps fighter, but then I need to make the level dips to get sneak attack and rage... :/

How's the best way to go about it??

Cheers.

TiaC
2013-09-28, 03:02 AM
Ragechemist, Vivisectionist, Alchemist.

grarrrg
2013-09-28, 10:37 AM
Ragechemist, Vivisectionist, Alchemist.

Friends don't let friends go Ragechemist. The downsides greatly outweigh the upside.

Vivisecionist paired with Beastmorph, and using Mutagens to boost STR isn't a bad idea. You'd probably want to at least dip into Master Chymist (at level 8) to boost your Mutagens/day though.

If going the DEX route, then Urban Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/urban-barbarian) will let you Rage to increase DEX instead of STR. With Agile Weapons, you wouldn't have to care all that much about STR at all.

Was going to suggest Wild Stalker Ranger for STR based, so you'd get the Req-less feats, and wouldn't have to boost DEX just for a feat or two. But Wild Stalker trades away the bonus feats, so that's out.
6 levels of Ranger is still a good way to get Improved Two-Weapon without having to boost DEX, but it gives you neither Sneak nor Rage.

A Viking Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/viking) gets Rage (-3 effective level penalty). So that'd be a potential source of extra feats.

The only other real source of Rage is the Rage subdomain (Destruction) but that doesn't kick in until level 8, and no Sneak classes can get Domains anyway.

Here's a list of most Sneak Dice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12613046#post12613046) classes. Some of them do require Casting or such for entry, I have not edited them out.
If going the Viking route for Rage, then you may consider Pain Taster, as it requires some stinker feats, but has Full Bab and 2d6 Sneak over 4 levels (slashing weapons only).
Duelist, Low Templar and Pain Taster have Full Bab
Arcane Trickster has 1/2 Bab
All other options have 3/4 Bab
Rogue and Ninja cannot be taken together.
Rogue stacks with Alchemist (so 1 level of each would only have 1d6 Sneak total).

Alchemist 1A, every 2 levels (max 10d6) (Vivisectionist)
Bard 5A, every 5 levels (max 4d6) (Sandman)
Ninja 1, every 2 levels (max 10d6)
Rogue 1, every 2 levels (max 10d6)

Aspis Agent 3, every 3 levels (max 3d6)
Assassin 1, every 2 levels (max 5d6)
Arcane Trickster 2, every 2 levels (max 5d6), need 2d6 Sneak to enter
Bellflower Tiller 3, every 3 levels (max 3d6), need 2d6 Sneak to enter
Daggermark Poisoner 5, every 5 levels (max 2d6)
Duelist +1 damage per level (max 10), only applies with certain weapons/conditions
Gray Gardener 1, every 4 levels (max 3d6)
Halfling Opportunist 2, every 2 levels (max 2d6)
Inner Sea Pirate 1, every 3 levels (max 4d6)
Lion Blade 2, every 4 levels (max 3d6), need 2d6 Sneak to enter
Low Templar 3, every 5 levels (max 2d6)
Master Spy 1, every 3 levels (max 4d6)
Noble Scion 5 & 9, optional (max 2d6)
Pain Taster 2, every 2 levels (max 2d6), only with Slashing weapons or Whips
Red Mantis Assassin 1, every 3 levels (max 4d6)
Shackles Pirate 3, every 3 levels (max 3d6), need 2d6 Sneak to enter
Sleepless Detective 1, every 3 levels (max 4d6)

Unbalanced
2013-09-29, 02:31 AM
Very informative. Thanks grarrrg.

I'm thinking the best way to do it simply rogue (or ninja) and viking fighter.
That'll give me feats, sneak attack, and a little bit of rage.

Now to work out feat choices, race, and general progression.
I was keen on a small race, like halfling or gnome, but human with no penalties and a bonus feat is awfully enticing.
Any hints/tips/advice with that would be good too :)

Addition: On second thoughts, the vivisectionist & beastmorph alchemist would work. Instead of "raging" it would be an animalistic transformation to savage the enemy. Investing all my feats into TWF to make his combat abilities alright. I think I'd also have to go human, as the bonus feat would be VERY handy for being decent at level 1. Going Master Chymist at level 8 is also not a stupid idea. I'll work out a bit of a build and repost, then see if I can get some feedback.