PDA

View Full Version : Blighters Make the Best Librarians [PEACH]

Forrestfire
2013-09-28, 03:26 AM
I'm bad at starting posts, so I'll just... get to it, I guess?

In a conversation I was having earlier, someone referred to a book as "dead tree form" and someone commented that that should be a Blighter spell.

Well, I decided to extend the idea, because I liked the idea of a Blighter turning trees into books, so here goes nothing...

-------------------------------------------------------
Forestblight Library
Transmutation [Evil]
Level: Blighter 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Personal
Area: 100-ft.-radius cylinder, centered on caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fort half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes; see text

As you finalize this spell, a wave of black energy centered on you cascades through the area, converting life forms into components for the spell.

Any other living creatures caught in the area take 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6). A successful Fortitude save reduces the damage by half. Any creature that lives through this damage is shunted outside the radius of the spell. Plant-type creatures take double damage.

Any noncreature plants (living or dead) in the area of the spell are instantly converted into raw materials for the spell, becoming parts of a library filled with books. The caster may make an appropriate Craft (Architecture) or Profession (Architect) check to make the newly-created building a specific design, but otherwise it is a simple 50-ft square building, lined with bookshelves, with a single doors on each side. These bookshelves are filled with books detailing information known by both the caster of the spell and any creature that dies during the casting, organized by topic. The books are also of fairly simple designs, bound with wood (or leather, if creatures died within the area of the spell) and written in a language of the caster's choice.

The outside of the library is surrounded with an ash-covered clearing, completely free of the section of forest that was there before.

Material Component
A 100-foot radius circle of forest. The thicker the forest, the more ornate the library and contained books are.

XP Cost
1,000 XP
-------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Comments? Critique?

JoshuaZ
2013-09-28, 11:42 AM
I would have the books also include information from the beings that died in the area, not just the caster. That way the spell has more substantial uses likely to actually occur in game. I'd also suggest stating explicitly then that the books organize this knowledge (so if for example, the caster and a certain person both know different things about the history of some region, the knowledge will be incorporated into the same book about the history).

Overall, this spell could actually get me to play a blighter.

Forrestfire
2013-09-28, 04:06 PM
Ooh, that's actually a really neat idea. Added it to the spell.