PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4E] - A song of ruin

Leolo
2013-09-28, 04:21 AM
The OOC Thread to this adventure can be found here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306025

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the present time:

"Father! Come down!" a beautiful young voice shouts excited from the lower levels of the crumbled library. So excited, full of curiosity that it casts a smile on the face of the old sage. It is like the old song says

When i was young i heard a story,
of an old man smiling to his child...
thinking of a time of glory,
when he was young and same as wild...

Na'liira loves the work of her father. The stories, the ruins, the tapestries. Like windows into a time long forgotten. There are 4 tapestries in the room Fyran the sage is entering.

"This one is from Bael Turath, or at least one of it's fleeing nobles. You can see his sign at the bottom end. And you can see Ivanya Dreygu and Vorno Kahnebor how they sell their soul to Asmodeus in an infernal pact that made them an reflection of the fallen angel in the mortal world, full of power and hunger for more."

he says after inspecting the first picture on the tapestries. The second one is a compilation of many single events as it seems.

"Ah, the war of teeth. This one shows how Monadhan fell and burned under the fires of Aranthor the silvery dragon and Imrissa, and how the tieflings defiled the land of Arkhosia and their own land, too. And here below the fires you can see the death of the lord who has known no time, Vorno Khaneborn, so young like he was when he has given in the pact with the devil".

Of course Na'liira already knows the old stories, but her eyes shine in delight and she explains the third image by herself.

"I do know what this is. It is how Io'vanthor fell when the followers of tiamat betrayed the dragonborn of Arkhosia and opened the gates for the Turathi. How the last battle killed the golden lord and all the other lords of the dragons. And how the nobles of Turath get to flee when their slaves started the rebellion. "

Couldn't you resist the proud smile to your kin if she is such a good hearted and beautiful girl, eager to learn everything? Fyron could not.

"Yes my heart. That was after Bael turath was destroyed and the end of the war of ruin. But i think i have found a story even you do not know. Look at this tapestrie at the end of the room, the one not so fine like the other 3. You can often find the best stories next to those of the great empires. It's a story of what happened when the war of ruin come to an end. Do you see the town under siege? The banners of two armies. Swords and spells and death and glory. One forces to conquer a town, and the other one..."

"To protect it?"

"No, to hold it my dear. Those picture shows the time of chaos after the war of ruin had came to an end. Warlords claimed towns for their own, selfish goals. No one there was the good one or did it for the townsfolk."

"But who is this?" Na'liira was pointing at a group of people in the battle.

"This my love are 5 bards. That started to sing a song." said Fyron smiling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Var Elir, ten years after the war of ruin.

It is all a matter of your point of view. Myla the Ironheart is not a good leader. In fact, who could say this after his half year as a ruler of Var Elir's remains, knowing his cruel and heartless character. Once a noble of Bael Turath Myla is all what you had heard about tieflings. But he had forced the townsfolk to repair what damage was done in the war against Arkhosia as much as possible. And what he lacks at mercy he has as ambition to rule some more time. From a point of view he is protecting his town. And at least if the battle turns out good the town does not get sacked by the black hand. Those group of adventurers had formed an army by themself, of undead and sellswords and all that search for looting and killing. And there is Aryssa, that calls herself the oracle, who has shown at least her good intentions and helps Myla with her troups. Who would not agree that you are on the side of the good?

It wasn't that hard to hire you. The town needs you, regardless what Myla is. And the army, waiting in the camp outside the city is needing inspiration. Someone who raises their spirit to fight yet another battle. Do they even remember peace or what they are fighting for? A speach, a song or a story can do so much if an army waits for the storm of swords to come.

It is the evening before the battle and you feal how uneasy the troups are. The black hand is waiting for the night, the time when their lifeless forces have an advantage and Myla seems to fear a trap and does not attack them first.

zingbobco000
2013-09-28, 12:01 PM
One of the bards thinks to himself as he looks around, So, these are my new companions. Well I better get to know them. He thinks to himself. "Well hello there, my name's Yarnum, I what are yours?" He says slightly louder than a whisper.

Mabn
2013-09-28, 08:55 PM
A voice speeks to Yarnum from under a tree's shadow. "My names are as many as my deeds are known -a habit, not a boast. But you may call me Jayne, for that is my title.""

Irish Musician
2013-09-30, 11:07 AM
Darkhymn (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiLg-wIDA), Shade Bard/Vampire
Out of the same tree's shadow, the shadows themselves seemed to move. They swirled around and seems to dissipate, leaving the shape of a humanoid being there. Dressed in all black, with a hood that is down at the moment hanging on his back, the figure also has a longsword by his side, and moves like an elf. Though, there is something different about him. When you look at him, his skin looks as though it should be a dark blue tint, but it seems to have paled for some reason. His eyes are completely black, with no white showing at all, and his hair matches them. His clothes seem to cover ever inch of his body, and the only skin you see is on his face, and only because his hood is down. "I am Darkhymn, though most that get to know me just call me Hymn. The shadows are my friend and I tend not to be much of a public speaker. Anyone have any ideas of how to 'rally the troops'?" Hymn takes a bota bag out of his pack, opens the top, and takes a long drink of whatever it is that is inside it. Replacing the top and putting it back in his pack, he wipes what looks like a very thick wine from his lips.

Mabn
2013-09-30, 08:13 PM
"You serious? They're fighting under a man they don't like against some men who don't like them. Unless you look at them and see an assignment to check off you'll probably be fine."
Jayne stopped for a moment.
"Now I know this isn't your first fight. Don't tell me you fought to here and never had companions? Why would you even be fighting for!"

Leolo
2013-10-01, 02:28 AM
Darkhymn is looked at sceptical by most of the man in the camp. You can hear them whisper and some of them even arguing loud and clear:

"Myla is gone mad! Why shall we wait for the night?"
"Look at this one!"
"Just like them. And i say to you: We will look like this when morning comes, too! The black hand is under us right now!"
"If it weren't for that damn oracle we would wait for them within the city walls. Or at least fight them in daylight. Look at the sun, it is nearly gone. Gone for good if you ask me. It is her that is whispering into Mylas ears. Goddamned Oracle we all gonna die."

It is true what they say, Myla could hide his army within the city walls, but you don't really expect the black hand to just stop and stay outside. And there is not enough food to survive a long siege. Nevertheless, the warlord would maybe do this, if it wasn't for his ally.

Irish Musician
2013-10-01, 11:05 AM
Darkhymn (http://iplay4e.appspot.com/characters/agdpcGxheTRlchQLEgtDaGFyYWN0ZXJWMhiLg-wIDA), Shade Bard/Vampire
Hymn laughs at Jayne's question, "Of course I have had companions, however I don't tend to fight just for a good cause. I am an adventurer, a mercenary, I fight for who pays me.....unless I don't necessarily agree with their mission. I am all about the greater good....but I do have to, heh, eat as well." Then Hymn gets a smile on his face and stands in front of the crowd.

"Soldiers! Listen to me! I don't pretend to know your city, your families, or your customs. I have been brought in to help you fight this menace that is threatening you and your families. And that is what I shall do! Do you think this army will have mercy....or is scared? NO! They are ready to sip you to shreds....but this is a fate that you do NOT have to ACCEPT!!! Get angry! Get Mad! These damned things are trying to take your daughters, sons, and wives away from you. It isn't time to be afraid! This time time to be PISSED OFF!! The hordes have come to carry you off to oblivion....... don't let them!! GET OFF YOU ASSES AND FIGHT!!!!" As Hymn is talking, shadows start to slowly engulf him, and by the end of the speech, they are swirling all around him.

Ok, so I am going with the "Goad a person into action", but using it on the soliders, intimidation [roll0]

So, not trying to intimidate them, but more poke them until the get angry enough at this incoming army

EDIT: Sigh, well not the roll I was hoping for :smallannoyed:

Leolo
2013-10-01, 12:42 PM
Hymne efforts are getting mixed response. Obviously those soldiers are already intimidated and angry, but he fails to lead this emotions into the right direction. Instead he is answered with at best ignorant and sometimes even hostile gazes.

that's a fail, sorry. Was a difficult approach, and not your day. :-)

Irish Musician
2013-10-01, 03:19 PM
Hymn looks at the faces of everyone, clearly not impressed with his speech, and then disappears in a cloud of smoke. No one really sees him, but from the tree you here a, "I told you I wasn't a public speaker..."

Heh, yeah with a roll like that, I didn't expect that to be a success. :smalltongue:

Mabn
2013-10-01, 05:28 PM
"Hm, I may have to hasten my approach. Ah, well, It is far from unworkable." Jayne sighed before leaving the tree. "Worked up as they are about outsiders, I fear I'd be better received disguised as a tiefling. I doubt the merry goat act will work."

Bluff skill first to wear a long-cloak to with horn-holes and imply I'm a tiefling.

[roll0]
Stepping out to the skeptical crowd, Jayne sits down on a stack of crates and addresses them.

"O.K, seems we got off on the wrong foot. Now, most men, they'd see a crazy army at their doorsteps and be a little indecisive. That's not you problem. I've been listening and all of you are pretty alright with defending your homes. So it seems to me the crux of this matter is a disagreement on tactics.
Myla has decided to fight some undead tonight and some of you don't think that's a good idea.
Here's my take on it: fighting adventurers is a lot like landing in a knife fight. They've got their tricks and they can cut you pretty good if you don't expect it; that's what we'll call a shanking. In the end though they've got what they got and sooner or later they've got to whip their knife out. You're upstanding citezens going about your peaceful duties, so if the adventurers want to dither about going stab happy that's just fine with you, that means sooner or latter they're going to show what they got, or they're going to go home; that's what we'll call your stick-up.
So if we think a stick up's going to happen we play it smart, stick to streets and keep some elbow room; that's cause we want to have space. If you start in a city you've got nowhere to fall back to but your houses, and house fighting is a whole lot worse than night fighting, let me tell you. What you want to do is to make your attacker flash his knife and put him in a hurry, then he's going to run at you and get right up in your face. That's when you pull your own knife out, and you do have knives, knives they have no way of expecting. So they run into the pointy end and you kick them in the balls and you walk away with your blood and your money to live better lives than the thief who just got two livers. That's what this fight is aiming for."

streetwise to give them a familiar way to think about the plan and diplomacy to have them listen and get behind it

streetwise
[roll1]

diplomacy
[roll2]+word of friendship=26

Leolo
2013-10-04, 03:28 AM
You talk about knifes, but it's their damn magic i am afraid of. Yes! I am afraid. Who wouldn't be? I don't want to be a lifeless sack of bones. You do know me friends, i was storming this town with myla months ago. I was in the first front line and my blade killed the first of them. Did you see my eyes full of fear when the arrows came down the wall? When the fire broke out?

No, i was shouting my battle cry. My arm was strong and my blade was sharp. And the sun was shining.

A huge guy with a broadsword steps next to Jayne. Although he still disagrees at least there is the point he is listening and discussing this with her.

Other soldiers group themself arround you, listen to the man who obviously has their trust.

Now, in this approaching night i feel what fear means. Myla is mad for listining to the oracle, i say it aloud and say it again if he would come out his tent. Is there anything you can say to prove me wrong? Those woman just wants our heads and what we had won will be taken from us. Even lives, even souls. Those are undead in the troups of the black hand. Where do you think they come from? They come from the dead bodies of men stupid enough to fight them at night.

Those guy is charismatic, but he is still angry about Myla, the oracle and clearly does not like where this battle is going. He is listening though, and if you find a way to bring him on your side a huge group of soldiers would most likely follow him.

That were two successes.

(Possible additional Skills after this: History, Religion to find out something about him)

Philemonite
2013-10-04, 04:05 AM
A small woodland being appears, seemingly out of nowhere, and approaches the spokesman. He flies around the man a few times, and when he is certain he has drawn enough attention to himself he lands of Darkhymn's shoulder. His mystical, fey aura and his glowing green wing provide a perfect contrast to Darkhymn's shadowy appearance, and he chuckles a little.
"Silly human, Lord Lathander is not going to let them turn you into one of those foul creatures. His eternal light will pierce through whatever darkness our enemies can conjure. With the blessing of The Morninglord victory will be ours. You just make sure you hit hard enough."

Religion 1d20+11, if aplicable

Leolo
2013-10-04, 05:50 AM
I know that the morninglord is on our side! Don't need a fly to tell me so! But why does it has to be the night? Half of our soldiers can't see anything and they'll rip us to shreds.

He still isn't convinced, but lathander seems to be the right god to mention.

Mabn
2013-10-04, 03:16 PM
Jayne is, for a moment, lost in thought. "Your right, all those undead have to come from somewhere. If I was a necromancer I imagine making and maintaining them would be a bit of a task, probably need rituals and whatnot. Now, if I was a necromancer, I imagine I'd do my rituals at night, and I imagine if I was interrupted during those rituals I'd be in a bit of a bad place."
[roll0]

Leolo
2013-10-06, 05:07 AM
What do you say? You do know something about necromancy?

Are you using this foul magic?!? What are you, a spy?

That cleearly doesn't work out the way Jayne wanted it to do.

That's you second failure.

zingbobco000
2013-10-06, 10:06 AM
Yarnum

"It's ok, calm down, I do not believe that our friend here is a spy." He then says privately to the group, "I'm going to try and rally the troops, we can't afford to make the man any more suspicious than they already are." Now he says just loud enough that the army can hear. "Men, I am Yarnum, I know that you may fear of undead and many other vile magics that may inhabit this place but be careful, for under true guidance we will succeed."

Use words of friendship to get a +5 to the diplomacy roll to rally troops and to calm the leader down.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Mabn
2013-10-06, 04:16 PM
"As it happens I don't know about necromancy, but I know about men and I know about reason and that was enough for my thoughts and absent in yours!"Jayne is clearly incensed and struggling not to show fang. "If I was a spy what would be the damn point of me talking to you? You pathetic idiots will defeat yourselves before the sun drops and use your dying breaths to spout superstitious sheep's dung and blame your loss on anyone but yourselves. If you don't want to be a necromancer's new gimp you had better start thinking of ways not to be. Now if you plan to mutiny you had better get to it but otherwise you will be fighting undead tonight and winning will be a lot better than losing, let me tell you." Suddenly, Jayne's expression shifted like water and he appeared positively serine. "Now the secret to winning is to remember that undead are really ugly puppets and that as long as you get them lost in a ditch somewhere your really fighting some whiny mages who don't get enough sun and waste most of their magic trying to make friends with corpses."

i:[roll0]
b:[roll1]
d:[roll2]

Leolo
2013-10-08, 08:15 PM
Yarnum is able to calm the crowd down, but when Jayne tries to intimidate the soldiers again it is clear that you have gone to far and they lost their will to listen to your words.

I don't let you advise me about undead. Do i look as if i have never fought them?

Why do i even talk to you? I should go and have a drink before we all gonna die.

He turns arround and walks away, angry on himself and on you.

Sorry, your intimidation fails, and is the third miss. Looks like you'll need a different approach.

Philemonite
2013-10-09, 12:19 PM
Leaving his comfortable spot on Darkhymn's shoulder the Pixie makes a few circles around the human to be sure he has drawn enough attention.
"Silly humans always think that size is everything. You do know that I can kill more of those things then you can. And I can do that without moving from my friends shoulder. Besides, you shouldn't go into battle angry and intoxicated, you should go into battle with pride and maybe a reward waiting for you when you get back." He chuckled again, this was becoming too funny.
"You know what, let's make a little wager. If you think you can do better then a fly, let's compare our kills when the battle is over. Necromancer counts as 10, of course. You can always use a few gold pieces right?" Only inches away from the human's face, the Pixie gives him the most serious look he can manage.

[roll0]

Leolo
2013-10-10, 01:42 AM
The huge guy and his friends were already heading to a large tent near the center of the camp where beer and wine await him, but your little side bet raises his interest.

Ha, you know what? We have a deal small being.

At least he does not leave camp before the fight, but you clearly missed your chance to have him talk to the rest of the soldiers and convince them to listen to you.

Mabn
2013-10-11, 08:21 PM
"AIIX! I hate humans sometimes." Jayne whipped off his cloak and stomped on it. "Personally I am of a mind to talk with this oracle. If for no other reason, because that fool disliked her."

Mabn
2013-10-16, 06:39 PM
(double posting for rollability)

Jayne made his way to the oracle and examined her

p:[roll1]

zingbobco000
2013-10-16, 08:07 PM
As the satyr walks off towards the oracle, Yarnum decides to try and keep the troops morale up. He thinks to himself as he walks over to the tent. As he sees the faces of the men, he says, "Have faith, for Pelor's light will shine through. It shall not only quench our fear of the dark, but it shall prove that, not only are we strong, but we have the strength of god on this night!"

Diplomacy check to rally troops
[roll0]

Leolo
2013-10-17, 02:40 AM
It might be not the most polite entry into the tent, but talking about Pelor's light to those men is like bringing water to the thirsting.

Yarnum knows he could have timed his speach and words better - but nethertheless the people gave him a warm welcome and some even chime in with him.

An old, grey bearded warrior with strong, rough hands stands up from a long table with an unconcious man on it. His friend seems to be wounded at his leg and his throat and looks terrible.

"You are a priest, my friend?"

zingbobco000
2013-10-17, 09:06 AM
"No, I am not a priest, just a wanderer with great faith in the people above. You may call me a 'champion of the gods,' but I know that now the gods are with us and we can succeed. For we have the gods with us tonight!" He says, but now after seeing that he didn't time his other speech very well, he tries it from a different angle, to convince the troops that there actually are gods, and they're on their side.

Religon check: [roll0]