PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Kain: What the Heck Happened to You?!

The Succubus
2013-09-28, 07:19 AM
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/27/nosgoth-a-new-free-to-play-multiplayer-game-grew-out-of-a-cancelled-legacy-of-kain-sequel/

One of the richest and most involved stories in gaming has been turned into a free to play MMO?

I....am not optimistic. :smallannoyed:

Winthur
2013-09-28, 07:36 AM
All the beloved franchises of old like Hitman, Devil May Cry and Thief are getting crap installments nowadays, trying to ride off the popularity of the previous games. So yeah.

Tengu_temp
2013-09-28, 09:31 AM
My heart is physically hurting now. Thanks.

Gamerlord
2013-09-28, 09:41 AM
My heart is physically hurting now. Thanks.
I was hoping I wasn't the only one. :smallfrown:

Morty
2013-09-28, 09:44 AM
I don't even play Legacy of Kain and I realize it as incredibly stupid.

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-28, 09:45 AM
Personally i am going to be optimisic, but i really think it is going to fail, i mean honestly just finish the games with Dark Prophecy, and then maybe you can think about making a MMO. Right!

Gamerlord
2013-09-28, 09:47 AM
Personally i am going to be optimisic, but i really think it is going to fail, i mean honestly just finish the games with Dark Prophecy, and then maybe you can think about making a MMO. Right!
So wait, you're optimistic, but at the same time you really think it is going to fail? Isn't that a bit contradictory? :smallconfused:

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-28, 09:48 AM
ya it is, but if it succeeds i will be pleasantly surprised.

Mordokai
2013-09-28, 10:01 AM
All the beloved franchises of old like Hitman, Devil May Cry and Thief are getting crap installments nowadays, trying to ride off the popularity of the previous games. So yeah.

Hey now, Hitman: Absolution was more than just decent. Sure, it had some new elements that were previously unseen, but the game wasn't bad or anything. In fact, it was quite enjoyable. We haven't seen Thief yet, but from what we know, it will also have new elements. That's not necessarily a bad things. Sure, the game will be different, but that doesn't mean it will be bad.

As for LoK... I'll let myself be surprised. I probably won't play it, but that has more to do with the fact I don't play MMO's in general. I've learned long ago that change isn't bad, if only you can let yourself embrace it and forget the old ways. And not even so much "forget" as "keep them close to your heart, but allow yourself to experience and enjoy something new".

Gamerlord
2013-09-28, 10:03 AM
Hey now, Hitman: Absolution was more than just decent. Sure, it had some new elements that were previously unseen, but the game wasn't bad or anything. In fact, it was quite enjoyable. W
On it's own merits, it was a mediocre Splinter Cell clone with a broken stealth system. Compared to Blood Money it was absolutely abysmal.

As for Thief, given the mess that the development has apparently been and the actual gameplay seen so far, the odds are not in it's favor.

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-28, 10:03 AM
honestly i am just more worried about what they are going to do to the story, i just signed up to see if i can join the beta.

Mordokai
2013-09-28, 10:20 AM
On it's own merits, it was a mediocre Splinter Cell clone with a broken stealth system. Compared to Blood Money it was absolutely abysmal.

Judging the games based on the success of their predecessors is one of the most often seen and most often made mistake. Sure, you often do it subconsciously, but it's still the wrong thing to do. If nothing else, emotional attachments can and often will stand in the way of your enjoyment. Games should be judged as their own. The one thing I didn't liked in Absolution was the forced way with which you were almost forced to pick every item on the level to get some achievements. And even that was bother only if you have OCD, like I do. Stealth was good. You had multiple chances of eliminating the target and the word reacted to your choices and what you did. Enemies were smart and reactive and often even the smallest mistake made life much harder for you, if not outright spelling your death. The instinct mechanic was a little weird, but you could skip by it if you played higher difficulty level or just refrained yourself from using it.

Yes, it wasn't as good as Blood Money. But it wasn't that much worse.

As for Thief, given the mess that the development has apparently been and the actual gameplay seen so far, it's pretty much guaranteed to suck.

They are turning it more into FPS with elements of stealth than a total stealth game. Given that I hear older Thieves could be quite hard and the market it geared towards selling as much as possible and the game just won't sell if it's too hard nowadays, that's understandable. I understand why many old school players won't like to play it. Personally, I'll give it a shot. If it will be done well(and nothing I've seen so far suggests otherwise), I'm sure I will enjoy it, despite the change of focus.

Gamerlord
2013-09-28, 10:35 AM
Games should be judged as their own.
And as I said, on it's own, Absolution still isn't very good.

. You had multiple chances of eliminating the target and the word reacted to your choices and what you did.
The only level I recall getting many choices was The King of Chinatown (That level was actually pretty decent, and the only one in the game I liked.) Everything else was pretty Dishonored-style "You either pick the one sneaky option, or go on a rampage". Also, what you mean by reacting to choices? :smallconfused: Closest thing to choices I recall is whether or not you kill that one dude in the desert, and I don't see how that really mattered.

The instinct mechanic was a little weird, but you could skip by it if you played higher difficulty level or just refrained yourself from using it.
....Which would result in it being nigh-impossible to use disguises.

Enemies were smart and reactive and often even the smallest mistake made life much harder for you, if not outright spelling your death.
Were we playing the same game? I repeatedly to one-man-army multiple levels when my cover was blown,hide in a closet for a few minutes, then sneak out and switch to another costume, and then everything would be normal again. Hell, I'm pretty sure I have a screenshot buried somewhere in Steam of me gunning down dozens of cops during the section where you had to get onto a train.

Winthur
2013-09-28, 10:37 AM
You had multiple chances of eliminating the target

There's a mission where you have to escape the people searching you and kill one of them. You can't assassinate them normally - you have to blow fire in their face or shoot them. They can't be choked with the fiber wire if you choose to do so. I was rustled.

the word reacted to your choices and what you did.

As seen when you kill the wrestler by unmasking yourself in the ring and killing him in front of a ton of people and still get Silent Assassin.

Enemies were smart and reactive and often even the smallest mistake made life much harder for you, if not outright spelling your death.

Way easy to distract by abusing the distract mechanic.

Yes, it wasn't as good as Blood Money. But it wasn't that much worse.

They could have given us a Blood Money mission pack and it would have been superior.

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-28, 10:50 AM
i think we are getting a little of track, isn't this thread about LoK and the new Nosgoth?

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-28, 12:05 PM
ok i am really getting bugged by the winged vampires in the game, i mean sure they are from Raziel's clan and all, but it took him 1000 years to gain wings and yet, these creatures i am betting are no where near that age. what do you guys think.

The Succubus
2013-09-28, 03:24 PM
Well, one of the key reasons Raziel was hunting Kain in the first Soul Reaver is because after he was thrown into the Abyss, Kain committed genocide on Raziel's clan.

cavalieredraghi
2013-09-28, 03:38 PM
i just read on there website nosgoth.com the lore behind it is Kain as left, obvious referring to the other games. and the world Kain and Raziel have left the clans are now fighting with each other until humans start to raise again, thus turning the vampires attention onto humans. and the Sentinels the ones from Raziel's clan, they are the few survivors, who have been decaying for centuries.

erikun
2013-09-28, 11:21 PM
ok i am really getting bugged by the winged vampires in the game, i mean sure they are from Raziel's clan and all, but it took him 1000 years to gain wings and yet, these creatures i am betting are no where near that age. what do you guys think.
I somehow doubt that Raziel was growing wings for the whole 1000 years he was a vampire.

That said, having Raziel's clan running around with wings seems incredibly strange. I mean, I know that Kain's actions against Raziel were more for Kain's plotting than any sort of jealousy or anything like that. However, after maiming and (presumably) killing Raziel, allowing Raziel's clan to just hang around and sprout wings on their own - and Raziel's clan being perfectly fine with everything - just strikes me as incredibly wrong. Either Kain would lose a tremendous amount of face by letting the whole clan fly around after punishing Raziel, or they should be up in arms and/or ostracized by the other clans for being the spawn of a "traitor".

Perhaps I'm misremembering something in there.

As for the game itself, I suppose it could be fine. It seems like a PvP arena MMO that we've been seeing a lot of lately, which is apparently popular. It could be a bad WoW clone wihtout the open world, or count be something between Team Fortress and League of Legends. I'm probably not going to bother checking it out, as online Vs multiplayer isn't really something I'm that interested in.

Also, running over a series I very much like with a backhoe is not going to get me excited about it.

cavalieredraghi
2013-10-03, 03:27 PM
please correct me if i am wrong but Dumah and his clan were big and burly they were strong hard to kill vampires right, and Turel and his clan where psychics right.

Psyren
2013-10-03, 04:31 PM
Argh. I dont' even mind the multiplayer, but "MMO" is a death knell to story for me, and LoK's strength was always story.

When they ran out, they should have gone to Kickstarter instead of gutting something beautiful.

GloatingSwine
2013-10-03, 04:49 PM
Q: When did the last actually good Legacy of Kain game come out?

A: 1999.

Really, with five games in the series so far, a grand total of one of them didn't suck. And that was half finished when they released it.

Psyren
2013-10-04, 01:17 AM
Q: When did the last actually good Legacy of Kain game come out?

A: 1999.

Really, with five games in the series so far, a grand total of one of them didn't suck. And that was half finished when they released it.

The Soul Reavers were okay. Defiance was awesome and had one of the coolest twists on its console generation.

Pity the original never had a sequel :smalltongue:

EDIT: Speaking of which, what the hell happened to the Hylden? The entire point of the mythos is that vampires are a necessary evil because there's Something Worse out there, but they don't seem to be in this so-called "Nosgoth" at all.

cavalieredraghi
2013-10-04, 08:19 AM
the Hylden if I remember right were re banished before the Soul Reavers time line, it was Blood Omen 2 that stated this.

dirtytricks
2013-10-06, 12:45 PM
"I didn't care if I was in heaven or hell. All I wanted, was to kill my assassins."

I remember all of those games in the series(+soul reaver). I'm not sure I could get into an MMO based in that game-iverse. Not trying to sound like a snob but I don't like the idea of my nostalgic memories being fondled by necrodevelopers and raised and twisted into another grind for loot MMO. To quote a certain horse, "No sir, I don't like it."