PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for plot-usable poisons (long time till effect)

kkplx
2013-09-28, 09:03 AM
Hey there!

I've often played with the idea of integrating poison use with my mostly neutral characters, but every time I started researching material, it was centered around wound/inhaled poisons with immediate ability damage.

I'm looking for poisons that you could inflict unsuspecting NPCs with, either by offering them Food&Drink or with a stealthy delivery method (think poison-tipped umbrella). Basically I'd like to adopt poisons as a way to stealthily interact with the world, without using it as just another weapon attack. (poison a shopkeeper, quest npc, idiot that offends me, etc. to kill them, or use it in interrogation)

drugs count, too.

madtinker
2013-09-28, 10:25 AM
Lead and mercury are slow acting poisons if ingested. I don't know of any source, but if your DM is agreeable you could work out a delayed int/wis/dex damage for long term exposure to lead and mercury.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-09-28, 10:25 AM
Mix a potion of delay poison with the poison so that it won't take effect until after delay poison's duration ends.

kkplx
2013-09-28, 11:21 AM
Mix a potion of delay poison with the poison so that it won't take effect until after delay poison's duration ends.

You...I like the way you think.
Why didn't I come up with that, damnit :D

kkplx
2013-09-28, 11:45 AM
Lead and mercury are slow acting poisons if ingested. I don't know of any source, but if your DM is agreeable you could work out a delayed int/wis/dex damage for long term exposure to lead and mercury.

That's the main issue - arsenic, lead and mercury (as far as I've been able to determine) don't exist in 3.5 as actual poisons - I'm looking for anything with rules already in place, so I don't have to reveal to my DM beforehand that I'm looking for a way to spice up the usual NPC interaction ;)

Looks like delayed poison heavy con damage poison might still be my best bet after all :/

Silva Stormrage
2013-09-28, 11:49 AM
You could use polymorph any object to change the poision into say water. Have the subject drink it and then have the duration wear off in 12 hours or so. The subject then suddenly has poison in his body.

Not sure if you can willingly reduce the duration on PAO, maybe changing it into something like cheese or bread so its only 3 hours? Not sure how that works.

This of course also requires a high level caster or a scroll of PAO (The latter is probably easier)