PDA

View Full Version : Quaals feather token, tree

inuyasha
2013-09-28, 08:11 PM
What fun could be had with this amazing item? I just discovered it's amazing properties. a 6ft diameter 60ft tall tree for 100 gp? Anywhere you want??

Tell me fun ways you could abuse this items power

1. Slipping it in peoples pants (or mouth if you're evil and they're sleeping)
2. Flying carpet+huge bag of these things=all natural nuke (for when you want to destroy everything in an area, but also want to preserve natures beauty

Story
2013-09-28, 08:18 PM
It's actually 400gp. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tree)

inuyasha
2013-09-28, 08:22 PM
It's actually 400gp. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tree)

Oh, I forgot to mention i play 3.25, my dm is a 3.0 person, i (his son) am also a 3.0 person who knows a little 3.5, and in 3.0 its 100 gp. (isn't that ridiculous and awesome)

NOTE: Please, now that I have posted that i play 3.0, please do not turn this thread into a rant/flaming war/argument/even a conversation of why 3.X is better than 3.X or PF. This is not the place for that.

Forrestfire
2013-09-28, 08:24 PM
In one campaign I was in, we used them to destroy an enemy airship, with the reasoning that an oak tree growing from seed to full-grown in the space of under six seconds is going to do a LOT of damage with the root system.

Hamste
2013-09-28, 08:28 PM
Trees stop disintegrate so you can use them to stop an annoying spammy wizard.

Also blocking corridors is quite fun.

bekeleven
2013-09-28, 08:37 PM
Dragon was strafing us with flyby attack.

Then, he wasn't.

Rubik
2013-09-28, 08:40 PM
Was that T-Rex who swallowed you being annoying by grinding you into an acidic pulp? Not anymore it isn't.

It works nicely as a battering-ram if you've got something to brace the tree against and can aim it laterally.

It turns flying familiars into even more useful party members during a fight, and the chances of retaliation for most monsters are approximately nil.

Harrow
2013-09-28, 09:23 PM
The other feather tokens are all pretty nice, but it really is hard to beat the tree. If you can't think of a use for a feather token in any given situation you aren't trying hard enough. I would totally play a prestige class that gave daily uses of feather tokens. They aren't very expensive individually, but if you go through hundreds of thousands of them in a campaign the cost adds up, so I would really like some sort of per/day thing for them.

Darrin
2013-09-28, 10:16 PM
Reposting from the How to shut down Flyers thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15995815):

Ready an action for a Feather Token: Tree. 60' high with a 40' top diameter. Make sure your target is moving towards you or directly overhead, then proudly announce that it's "Arbor Day".

unseenmage
2013-09-29, 12:21 AM
Quall's Cloak from Dragon 359 page 74 might interest you. Though I prefer Nolzur's Orb from the same page.

I like to hide Tree Tokens in hidden pockets and spaces from Complete Scoundrel. Why hide a dagger up my sleeve when I can hide an entire oak tree?

Speaking of, Tree Tokens are also good for setting yourself up a nice location for the Acorn of Far Travel (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) spell.

Deca4531
2013-09-29, 09:44 AM
i have used these for utility in a few games, they are good for many common tasks like: building a quick bridge, scailing a wall, sealing up a hall or door. of course if your evil (which i have often been) i like to slip these inside many things, places an *cough*people*cough* for endless hilarity.

nedz
2013-09-29, 10:57 AM
The other feather tokens are all pretty nice, but it really is hard to beat the tree. If you can't think of a use for a feather token in any given situation you aren't trying hard enough. I would totally play a prestige class that gave daily uses of feather tokens. They aren't very expensive individually, but if you go through hundreds of thousands of them in a campaign the cost adds up, so I would really like some sort of per/day thing for them.

You just need to be able to cast major creation and have the feat Craft Wondrous Item; CL 12 though. That would halve the cost and give you a large enough supply.

inuyasha
2013-09-30, 11:30 AM
These are all great, any more?

Gwendol
2013-09-30, 11:36 AM
Any kind of restructuring, redecorating, changing the layout of the battlefield. A tree token is amazingly useful, never leave home without one.

nedz
2013-09-30, 11:46 AM
Druids could get quite some mileage out of them, if they're not already in a forest obviously.

Awaken, Tree Stride, Liveoak, etc.

Magnera
2013-09-30, 11:51 AM
Try using one on the ceiling of just about anywhere. You will have more things falling down than just London Bridge.

You could also use one with an immovable rod for floating trees.

Attach the fether token to a flight of arrows fired by that sound barrier breaking character. I think his range was somewhere close to 14 miles IIRC.

Ever tried getting a bag of ten or so of them and having them all activate at the same time? Sounds fun:smallbiggrin:

unseenmage
2013-09-30, 11:52 AM
A Hoardificer (Artificer with many construct minions) and a bunch of Tree Tokens can arrange themselves and build a tree cage around the baddies with the right maneuvering.

It's not impossible to break free of but definitely a hilarious option.

BizzaroStormy
2013-09-30, 11:55 AM
I'm really suprised nobody has brought up attaching them to arrowheads yet. In flight or in your target its gonna hurt when someone gets tree'd.

Red Fel
2013-09-30, 12:05 PM
Any kind of restructuring, redecorating, changing the layout of the battlefield. A tree token is amazingly useful, never leave home without one.

There are those who say that White Raven redefined "battiefield control."

They are wrong.

Trees, my friend. Trees.*

*Unless you worship Thor. :durkon: